casuk79

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm in the hunt for a set of 3 wedges I'm going to have a look just now and wondering if there is any I should sway towards and any I should avoid thanks

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Wedges are personal, maybe not as much as a putter but still certain shapes or finishes appeal to different people. MD4’s look promising and the Cleveland RTx got a lot of love last year as well as Cobra PÜR and as always Vokey.

The CBX wedges are fantastic, lots of forgiveness, and easy to use.

Cbx was one I was interested from the views on here and of course the vokleys, I think I should go with more forgiveness which would be the cbx I'm also a little confused about grind and bounce, I play on more softer ground with a sweep type swing, is there a combination of grind and bounce for that type of play or am I getting it wrong

Look at and try Callaway MD3 or wait until next month and look at the MD4. I love my MD 3's

Look at and try Callaway MD3 or wait until next month and look at the MD4. I love my MD 3's
Tried the MD3, sm5-6 but the mizuno tp is what I'm going for liked the feel and hit them nice there a little older than I was after but I so like them

My RTX3's are my favorite wedges I've ever played. The MD4 is dang interesting too and the PUR wedges received some great reviews as well.

Its hard to find "bad" wedges these days. MD3, Vokey and Cleveland all are real solid

And very expensive I haven't bought any as yet I'm still going to test a little more but I'm 60% sure what I'm buying, the guy in the shop said about the rtx range but I passed I think I'll try them out on Monday tho

Don't just go buy off the rack. I am finally learning from the error in my ways and also realizing there are sooo many options out there. I have found the Callaway MD3 wedges in C-Grind and I have fallen in love. Like has been said before that wedges are very personal, go test some out and if you can try to hit them off the ground as it's much different that testing from a mat.

I think it's pretty hard to beat the Cleveland line of wedges, between the CBX and the RTX3 CB and MB wedges there's something for everyone. The V-sole is legit and an awesome feature for Cleveland to incorporate in their wedges.

Cbx was one I was interested from the views on here and of course the vokleys, I think I should go with more forgiveness which would be the cbx I'm also a little confused about grind and bounce, I play on more softer ground with a sweep type swing, is there a combination of grind and bounce for that type of play or am I getting it wrong

if you go with the CBX you don't really need to worry about figuring out grinds. Cleveleand uses the V Sole technology which is multi-purpose and works great. Some of us prefer this approach over trying to figure out grinds. Alternatively, figuring out the grinds is the approach many (most?) go with - it may require a proper fitting to get it right.

Callaway, Cleveland or Titleist wedges. Look fro brand new but last years models. They will be considerably less expensive since youre buying 3 new wedges.
I'm in the hunt for a set of 3 wedges I'm going to have a look just now and wondering if there is any I should sway towards and any I should avoid thanks

I like the Cleveland RTX3, and if you search EBay right now you can find new one very cheap. So it could be a deal if you are wanting to try but not spend a bunch of $$'s

Take a look at the Mizuno S5 wedges. Very underrated IMO and can be had for a very good price.

I was moaning at my friend about the issues iv had with new irons and wedges, so felling sorry for me he is going to give me his next month when he gets his md4, thing is they are vokley sm6 only used for half a season and look new to me
50-08-F

56-08-M

60-08-M
He said give him £40gbp per club around $55usd think I should go for them as I cant tell the difference to any outhers I have tried

I was moaning at my friend about the issues iv had with new irons and wedges, so felling sorry for me he is going to give me his next month when he gets his md4, thing is they are vokley sm6 only used for half a season and look new to me
50-08-F

56-08-M

60-08-M
He said give him £40gbp per club around $55usd think I should go for them as I cant tell the difference to any outhers I have tried

That’s a pretty fair price I’d think. I’ve never played Vokey’s myself but I’ve heard a lot of good things about them.

Yeah there mates rates so decent price i just need to wait a bit

Cas - Those vokeys are essentially on a par with the Cleveland RTX's, they are undoubted quality, but blade wedges, and not overly forgiving.

I've been playing the Cleveland CBX wedges for a couple of months over here (also UK, near London) and they are night-and-day better in forgiveness than a bladed wedge, but give little to nothing away to the RTX blades in spin.

If money is an issue, my vote would be - for that same £120 - to get one club you can hit properly most of the time, instead of 3 where it's marginal. That would be a CBX.

Best will in the world, at h'cap 36, why not make it as easy as you can for yourself?

Good luck whatever way you decide to go. :good:

I had a play about with them and they don't suit me at all, the 50 shot straight up or I topped it 12 shots from 80- 90y didn't hit one target, plus being black it was different at address as if the face wouldn't catch the light as much so the face felt I little closed if that makes sense, I'm not taking them them anyway and going for something more simple,

"Them" being the Vokeys, I take it?

In that case, CBX all day long :good:

I suggest you hit them in the dirt and hit your usual shots around the green and bunker - on your own or a demo day. You need to see if they dig on you and stop (need more bounce) or if they leading edge is sharp and they hit the dirt and dig (need rolled/dulled leading edge and/or more bounce). Look at your normal divot as some piece of evidence - deep? More bounce, not deep (medium bounce), shallow (less bounce). It's a piece, not the whole enchilada. And consider conditions - if soft ground, you may need more biounce to get the club through the wet/mud so it does not dig.

It's also about your setup and the shots you take.

But I think you wait for demo days or to a green grass account where they have demo wedges and hit your shots under your conditions.

Having said that, many companies have multiple grinds - Vokey, Callaway (MD4 is being released soon), Cleveland, and others... good luck!

I'm just going to get something more neutral until I'm a bit better then I'll start looking at grinds and bounce my swing is to inconstant at the moment

Not sure what your exact handicap is, but I have 3 of the Cleveland RTX 2.0 in my bag, one is a CB (48*) and the others (52* and 58*) are both blades, all of them are in the 2-dot bounce

If you can find them, maybe try looking for these in a CB in the lofts you want as with the RTX-3 version out you may find them a bit cheaper

It also depends on whether or not you want to play full swing shots with them - I will play full shots with the 48 and 52 at times, but more often than not I will play partial swings with the 48 or PW to give a bit more control
Around the greens I will happily pull any of them out of the bag depending on the type of shot I want to play, and then the 52 or 58 for out of the bunker, again depending on the distance I want the ball to travel

Back