Largest Forged Irons

PowerCobra98

Reaction score
Can't seem to find anything on this so hopefully those of you who have handled multiple clubs will know. What is the largest set of forged irons currently for sale? By largest I mean heel to toe and just general size of the head.

Including hybrid irons or just traditional shaped irons?

hmmmm.....

Well they are out of the business now, but Nike had the Covert Forged and VRS Forged irons that were a bit chunkier by design. JPX EZ Forged comes to mind as well. Also, while they look different, if we are talking heel to toe length, Bridgestone JGR hybrid irons.

JDM irons have bigger forged profiles.

Are the new 'Altitudes' (can't remember the actual name) forged?

Not hybrid, just traditional shape.

Good list ddec.

Immediately thought of JPX EZ Forged or Bridgestone JGR for the biggest.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i think srixon z65 is a larger profile for the 5, 7 and 9 offerings.

The new C300 forged are a pretty large head.

As mentioned the Nike Covert Forged come to mind. I wonder where the W/S c300 Forged fall.

I know hybrid-like, but Bridgestone JGR hybrids have a forged face and are large and forgiving.

I have a set of the 2016 JPX EZ Forged and love them. One thing though is they don’t have the thin top line that everyone craves but they are very forgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Srixon z545/565, JPX 900 Forged, Bridgestone JGR are what I can think of as "forged" that looked big to me.

Curious, why are you looking for a forged SGI iron? If it's for feel, of the three I named above, none of them felt as soft as a few cast SGI irons I've hit. I feel the Wilson C200 and JPX 900 Hot Metal both felt like I was hitting a ball with a marshmellow, and that was frozen range balls.

If it's to adjust, 99% of all cast clubs bend really easy.

The Srixon z545/565, JPX 900 Forged, Bridgestone JGR are what I can think of as "forged" that looked big to me.

Curious, why are you looking for a forged SGI iron? If it's for feelm of the three I named above none of them felt as soft as a few cast SGI irons I've hit. I feel the Wilson C200 and JPX 900 Hot Metal both felt like I was hitting a ball with a marshmellow, and that was frozen range balls.

If it's to adjust, 99% of all cast clubs bend really easy.

I like forged due to the softer feel. Admittedly I'm a horrible ball striker but when I do hit them well I can't stand a brick like feel. I had a set of Steelhead XR's that I simply hated due to the fact they were so hard. Went to the Apex CF 16's and that gave me the feel I want but of course the head size is smaller, though not too small. That said a larger head would give me more room for error as I certainly can't hit clubs on a dime. I've only ever looked at Callaway so I have no idea what other brands offer as far as forged club selection and relative sizes hence my question to those of you who have seen/hit some of the other offerings.

I think the "forged" monicker is one which needs to be fleshed-out, anyway... A number of OEMs will call an iron forged as long as one of the "pieces" of the construction is/are forged. A number of examples might have a forged face, but a cast body, but I think there are others which have a forged body/chassis, but not necessarily a forged face. Of course, there are those which are a full forging as well.

I like forged due to the softer feel. Admittedly I'm a horrible ball striker but when I do hit them well I can't stand a brick like feel. I had a set of Steelhead XR's that I simply hated due to the fact they were so hard. Went to the Apex CF 16's and that gave me the feel I want but of course the head size is smaller, though not too small. That said a larger head would give me more room for error as I certainly can't hit clubs on a dime. I've only ever looked at Callaway so I have no idea what other brands offer as far as forged club selection and relative sizes hence my question to those of you who have seen/hit some of the other offerings.

When comparing feel between those two Callaway irons, were you using the same grips and shafts? Those two components have a larger impact into what you truly feel in your hands. As opposed to perceived "feel" which comes from sound.

If you're looking for something that doesn't "sting" up the arms going big will help some, but putting the right shaft and grip will have a huge impact as well. Also, most of the irons that have large amounts of dampening in the heads will also feel softer. Think of clubs with big plasticky things behind the face, or TPU filled irons, or irons with slots cut and filled in with rubber etc.

There is also the relation to CG and CG location based on your miss pattern to consider as well. If you miss on the heel side mostly and you play big irons with the CG moved towards center or toe you will fill more sting as well. I play smaller blades for this reason alone, I hit near the heel most of the time and I don't like the feeling of the CG moved further out.

These are pretty large! HA!

Hogan.jpg

When comparing feel between those two Callaway irons, were you using the same grips and shafts? Those two components have a larger impact into what you truly feel in your hands. As opposed to perceived "feel" which comes from sound.

If you're looking for something that doesn't "sting" up the arms going big will help some, but putting the right shaft and grip will have a huge impact as well. Also, most of the irons that have large amounts of dampening in the heads will also feel softer. Think of clubs with big plasticky things behind the face, or TPU filled irons, or irons with slots cut and filled in with rubber etc.

There is also the relation to CG and CG location based on your miss pattern to consider as well. If you miss on the heel side mostly and you play big irons with the CG moved towards center or toe you will fill more sting as well. I play smaller blades for this reason alone, I hit near the heel most of the time and I don't like the feeling of the CG moved further out.

Yes exact same shaft and grips.

Srixon Z545 has to be one of the biggest forged offerings.

I would definitely go get fitted in a shaft, i think the shaft will be the biggest feel thing for you tbh , if not try this jpx900 hot metals with the modus105 stick shaft they are pretty forgiving and buttery

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The Bridgestone J15 DPF irons are forged and larger profile. I like them a lot

Id go with anything in the Mizuno JPX line. Like someone else said, you need to be careful with a lot of companies when it comes to forged because a lot of them use forged parts in the head, although the entire head isnt forged.
If the entire head, including the hosel isnt forged; forget it.

For this very reason, I just bought an inexpensive
set of used Mizuno mx-20, 4-pw.
Nice rec. Along similar lines, I was gonna mention the Mizuno MX-200.

I played a set for a while but they actually proved too large for me overall but I did stick with the MX-200 5 & 6 irons combined with MP-52 7-PW for years.

MX-200 is a great iron, consistent, very forgiving with shots toward the toe.

Back