So which brand (if any) has the new club out to truly challange the succes of Epic?

46 inches holy hell

46 inches holy hell

X2hot and GBB had 46 inch shafts too, if i remember correctly.

Callaway is the king of marketing...they are using the same type of marketing TM did a few years ago. I don't see anybody touching either of these until the new Titleist 919 drivers come out. By then, Callaway will most likely have released another driver, maybe 2...

Callaway is the king of marketing...they are using the same type of marketing TM did a few years ago. I don't see anybody touching either of these until the new Titleist 919 drivers come out. By then, Callaway will most likely have released another driver, maybe 2...

But Titleist seems to (at least in the past) play to a different demographic. Or at least the illusion of one. That illusion being...the "players club".
Imo sort of hold themselves at somewhat a higher regard (even if just in their own mind and model) as for not bidding in the driver hype marketing wars like TM and Cali always did. And are sort of like to feel they are above that stuff. Intentional or not its how I perceive them club wise and so never was to pick up every new kid on the block with money looking to buy the latest greatest driver like TM and Cali have done in the past. But that aside Callaway has produced a heck of a club and it would stand to reason others should be scrambling to catch up including tileist. But I suppose they are so much a dominant staple with the balls that just maybe they will keep the same mindset as usual with the clubs and the demographic they target wont change.

I loved my T910 through a lot of golf for several seaons. I bought the 915 and also demoed the 917 but the Epic simply (for me) out shined them considerably so the 915 was exchanged for my epic. Will a 919 challenge epic? who knows. But with titleist mindset of feeding a specific demographic Id say probably not.

Last edited:

It would be near impossible for Titleist to pass 3 companies to take over the top spot with where they are currently.

I am on the fence. It almost seems like a war between TM and Callaway while all the others sit back and watch. Granted I have TM drivers and just ordered an Epic driver, but each one is getting so gimmicky it’s ridiculous. I think the name Epic helped Callaway, but how do you top the name Epic. Also with TM and “Twist Face”....come on. It sounds like a bunch of middle school bullies came up with that. Sorry to be negative, but I think the names and gimmicks are getting crazy.

There are some (most) doing it wrong where Callaway is doing it right. Hype is manufactured in many ways, and Callaway is basically the only company shocking the world right now.

Titleist lovers will continue to operate the way they have (and respectfully, they've come a long way since 913).
TaylorMade seems lost in mixed messages and crazy instability.
Ping is Ping and always will be Ping.

And then there are the countless other options that simply don't reach enough ears or hands to take a real stab. Callaway has laid the groundwork on how you take a listless brand and make it something special, and I think pretty much any company can follow suit to a certain extent, but it takes great people, great writing, great stories, and a hell of a lot of hard work to get there.

I am on the fence. It almost seems like a war between TM and Callaway while all the others sit back and watch. Granted I have TM drivers and just ordered an Epic driver, but each one is getting so gimmicky it’s ridiculous. I think the name Epic helped Callaway, but how do you top the name Epic. Also with TM and “Twist Face”....come on. It sounds like a bunch of middle school bullies came up with that. Sorry to be negative, but I think the names and gimmicks are getting crazy.

yea, I can hear the gimmicky hype war thing and have never been a fan of that. Even many here have stated in many past threads about calling out marketing hype and voicing the displeasure with challenging the BS of it. TM seems to have (through recent past) been argued by many as for being the most guilty of that. I almost feel that's the kind of thing Titleist sort of held themselves out of for sake of practicing the model of being a more serious players club (as said even if in their own minds). But callaway did something real here imo. There is simply far too much positive feedback from everywhere to chalk it all up to hype and marketing. This time around I think there is some legitimate performance gain that actually tapped into the regular hype and could be argued has set a new measurable standard. Even if minimal its still something that doesn't happen often imo.

There are some (most) doing it wrong where Callaway is doing it right. Hype is manufactured in many ways, and Callaway is basically the only company shocking the world right now.

Titleist lovers will continue to operate the way they have (and respectfully, they've come a long way since 913).
TaylorMade seems lost in mixed messages and crazy instability.
Ping is Ping and always will be Ping.

And then there are the countless other options that simply don't reach enough ears or hands to take a real stab. Callaway has laid the groundwork on how you take a listless brand and make it something special, and I think pretty much any company can follow suit to a certain extent, but it takes great people, great writing, great stories, and a hell of a lot of hard work to get there.

As Ive mentioned in above post....A lot of the Epic success has not just been marketing hype imo but a lot has come from real feedback from amateurs and fitters alike and fairly wide spread. Its certainly cought the attention of a lot of people who don't normally chase hype and are ending up in those bags as well.

In 2018? I find it very hard for anyone to catch up to the Callaway social media / hype monster for sure....

"More ball speed" was heard everywhere I feel...similar to TMs "Rocketballzier" slogan when the RBZ and RBZ S2 were staples in peoples bags....

Now if TM steps up / fixes their social media game, promote Twist Face in a unique way and continue to push the TP5 ball line, I think next year they might have a shot...

In 2018? I find it very hard for anyone to catch up to the Callaway social media / hype monster for sure....

"More ball speed" was heard everywhere I feel...similar to TMs "Rocketballzier" slogan when the RBZ and RBZ S2 were staples in peoples bags....

Now if TM steps up / fixes their social media game, promote Twist Face in a unique way and continue to push the TP5 ball line, I think next year they might have a shot...

"If" ball speed is also heard about everywhere for them as well. But its also been about maintaining distances on mishits too. I think its going to be a matter of the other brands producing their versions of jail break. Not so much to copy it but to produce (in tier own tech) the same gains regardless what it looks like.

Here's something interesting about social media. A lot of people love what Callaway does and not so much what other companies like TM, Bridgestone, Titleist although once the event was announced with them last years opinions started changing. Not saying it's right, wrong, good, bad or anything but looking purely at the number of followers especially when some like to us them as judgements for moving the needle Callaway is lagging behind in the number of followers compared to TM and Titleist.

Brand Twitter/Instagram
Titleist 371k/551k
Callaway 327k/404k
TaylorMade 471k/508k

Interesting. Curious what Facebook is, since it is still the king of social media. I would guess similar ratio. Although I still think engagement and message matters more than just followers, since companies run parallel with the same people following all.

Here's something interesting about social media. A lot of people love what Callaway does and not so much what other companies like TM, Bridgestone, Titleist although once the event was announced with them last years opinions started changing. Not saying it's right, wrong, good, bad or anything but looking purely at the number of followers especially when some like to us them as judgements for moving the needle Callaway is lagging behind in the number of followers compared to TM and Titleist.

Brand Twitter/Instagram
Titleist 371k/551k
Callaway 327k/404k
TaylorMade 471k/508k

Number of followers isn’t the only relevant stat though. I follow a lot of companies. Doesn’t mean their social media has any impact on my day to day.

As Ive mentioned in above post....A lot of the Epic success has not just been marketing hype imo but a lot has come from real feedback from amateurs and fitters alike and fairly wide spread. Its certainly cought the attention of a lot of people who don't normally chase hype and are ending up in those bags as well.

I appreciate that you said "IMO" instead of just throwing that out there like a blanket. That attitude is lost in many ways nowadays, and makes conversations much easier.

What I think made Epic stand out beyond most others, was the jailbreak tech. This is a truly awesome type of advancement for a driver because it's visible tech (some of it anyways) and it's not like much that we've seen before. I think about the latest from driver and it's always like "yeah, seen that already" in different ways. To make something unique and different gave them a huge advantage.

As for the performance, I think that falls on the individual (and I do think Epic was positive in a huge percentage). What I noticed at my home course at the end of the year was a bit of trepidation from some of those who made the switch. Struggling with a two way miss (same here, honestly), meanwhile knowing that performance-wise it is still at the top of the list in ball speed. With that, I'll support the premise that it 'wow'ed people, but I don't think it is earth shattering compared to competitors. A leg up with jailbreak? Yeah maybe, but neutrality is found in many ways.

I don't underestimate the value of marketing. It sells turds and holds back gems. We've seen it on this site for all kinds of companies and I suspect it won't stop any time soon. What I think other companies need now, is traction. Somehow they need to find a way to catch up with Callaway's relatability with the consumer.

Number of followers isn’t the only relevant stat though. I follow a lot of companies. Doesn’t mean their social media has any impact on my day to day.

Like I said I’m not saying it’s right, wrong, good, bad, important. Just an observation about numbers and perceptions. Also what one considers good another may not and vice versa. Some like the way Callaway “reaches out and touches a person” and those didn’t like the way titleist, tm or some other brands weren’t engaging in that activity, while some like brands just for the content they put out.

"If" ball speed is also heard about everywhere for them as well. But its also been about maintaining distances on mishits too. I think its going to be a matter of the other brands producing their versions of jail break. Not so much to copy it but to produce (in tier own tech) the same gains regardless what it looks like.
Obviously equipment performance is paramount. But social media helps with the outreach....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brand Twitter/Instagram
Titleist 371k/551k
Callaway 327k/404k
TaylorMade 471k/508k
Just because one has alot of followers doesn't mean they put out good content and people like them.... Look at the Kardashians who have millions of followers but their content is garbage (imo)... The zoo crew is a force to be reckoned with which helps tremendously....

Just because one has alot of followers doesn't mean they put out good content and people like them.... Look at the Kardashians who have millions of followers but their content is garbage (imo)... The zoo crew is a force to be reckoned with which helps tremendously....

A lot of followers generally means that person or thing is well liked.

Apparently based on numbers people like the content. Again what one person likes may not be what someone else likes. Is it nice that a group or person reach out to their customers sure, I think a large majority of people want to feel a part of something. Do others follow purely for the enjoyment if the content the brand puts out? Of course otherwise they wouldn't follow. I'm not one that needs to have a reply on social media responded to or liked and if i don't get one it doesn't affect me or my decision to follow the brand. I wasn't trying to say one brand does it better or worse. It was an observation and unfortunately the responses aren't surprising. Anyways, off to look at other threads.

In a sense yes. Also people follow or like things to see if / when they screw up.....

So which brand (if any) has the new club out to truly challange the succes of Epic?

Interesting. Curious what Facebook is, since it is still the king of social media. I would guess similar ratio. Although I still think engagement and message matters more than just followers, since companies run parallel with the same people following all.

I’m partial to Facebook since I’ve been on it from the time you had to have a college email address, but I agree with you. I enjoy the interaction that some other social media offers. If you get a legit answer from someone “important” or famous it makes you feel good.

Edit: I agree with a post earlier responding to mine. I believe the Jailbreak tech is the real deal.

And I also agree that Callaway is the king of social media right now. Not just limited to Facebook/Twitter/instagram. Just listen to the pirate ship show and you’ll see

I’m partial to Facebook since I’ve been on it from the time you had to have a college email address, but I agree with you. I enjoy the interaction that some other social media offers. If you get a legit answer from someone “important” or famous it makes you feel good.

Edit: I agree with a post earlier responding to mine. I believe the Jailbreak tech is the real deal.

And I also agree that Callaway is the king of social media right now. Not just limited to Facebook/Twitter/instagram. Just listen to the pirate ship show and you’ll see

I haven't looked at the numbers, I was just surprised it was left off. My gut says like the others all 3 are pretty close in that arena too.
I think the major difference between the brands are the amount of voices and engagement.

I like that some companies have done complete 180s in this area, and I have spoken to every top 10 brand about this very topic in the last 14 days. Its pretty wild how different the methods and thinking are, but that is what makes it great. Everybody has different wants.

In a sense yes. Also people follow or like things to see if / when they screw up.....

yea I think human nature causes us to follow and be attracted to what we like but also just as much what we don't. I hate snakes with a passion yet I couldn't stop from watching. its curiosity I think more than anything and for some reason we can be every bit as curious about what we don't like as what we do. strange, no?

Skim: if tiger wins, the Twisty McTwist Face will challenge it.

Back