You’re AHA!!! Moment

7 years and I still suck. Stuck 16HCP for over 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to slice with my driver pretty bad until I learned that I was coming over the top of the ball and realized I had to develop more of a inside out swing by keeping my right elbow tucked into my side on the down swing. That was my biggest ahha moment. Now my normal shot is either a fade or a clothesline shot most of the time.

Three months ago I was in a swing funk, hitting the ball off the bottom of all clubs but the driver. Went to the driving range the next day and realized the left arm was bending on the take away. Next swing I concentrated on keeping the left arm straight and Wa La. The ball found the center face of the irons and fairway metals. Still the last thought before take away, straight left arm.

When my golf instructor told me I wasn’t rotating enough....I was leaving 10-15 yards on the table. Golf is fun again.

Mine came after getting a massage earlier this season to help with flexibility and a bad back. I played 2 days later and never had a better ball striking day. Midway through the round I'm like wtf am I doing different???
Full turn...I had been so out of sequence I had no idea where the ball may be going. I stretch everyday, chiro once a month for maint, and hope to get massage prior to Bama trip next weekend.

Throw in a little yoga in there and you’ll be

For me it was the Malaska “over the top from the inside” swing/feel.

It was further reinforced for me when I learned about beta torque in the swing.

Then it was cemented when I learned when all the best players start to release the club thanks to measurements of the kinematic sequence. I was actually waiting too long to release which resulted in a push or late flip. It sounds different, but it all relates to Malaska’s method, he just explains it much simpler than it sounds on paper.
Malaska is a genius. For me the biggest and most lasting aha was learning Malaska's offsetting forces concept. That one aha fixed multiple issues in my swing. It's amazing how any time I get off track a little I just come back to that concept and I start hitting the ball solid again.

I struggle with sliding forward and not around. Teaching pro showed me the Trevino like sit/squat first hip move. Sean Foley had a free video with the same idea. Went from 6 GIRs to 15 in two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me during almost every round to remember to slow down my swing.

Yeah. During my final lesson last year, my instructor recorded my swing and played it back for me step by step. He showed me how, despite my efforts at an "old man swing," I was still tensing up and trying to power through the ball. I had almost no lag to speak of. Once he got me to relax, reinstated some reasonable lag, and got my wrists to break coming through the ball instead of on the downswing, I had a huge "AHA!" moment. I'd been swinging wrong for 25 years, and he fixed that in about 5 minutes.

Well in my short time with the game I have had a few already. Just last week I had a breakthrough at the range I am hoping will transition to the course. The lightbulb first started last Tuesday while I was play8ing a round then I went to the range a day or two later. I honestly can't say it's any one thing but several including body and hand position at address, slowing my takeaway speed, and just general better follow through but I am now consistently hitting straighter shots, especially with my wedges and irons, and what really amazes me is it seems I have gained 15-25 yards on every club in the bag. I do feel like I am hitting the ball more pure but I also think my club head speed is up some as well. I think a lot of that has to do with slowing my backswing down and then releasing all that energy I was wasting with the jerky backswing and following through better. It's supposed to be nice Friday and I can't wait to put this to the test on the course.

Wish me luck because the last time I played my irons this straight I shot a 39 on 9. My short game is better now so I am hoping for a breakout full 18 in the mid to low 80s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Still waiting for it Hahahaha. I've had a ton of Hahahaha moments though :)

I had an aha moment with the driver last weekend. Was finally able to start coming inside with my hands instead of swinging out to in and struggling with a slice. Only hit one bad drive all day, and that was on the last hole where I tried to muscle it a bit and sliced it OB. I didn't hit all my fairways, but every other drive was playable, which is a definite improvement, lol

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

Probably not the kind of AHA moment most people are going to relay ...

My AHA moment was on the course early last year. Playing a difficult hole, tried to overpower my swing, and essentially drilled the ball into the ground. Got really mad, and then it hit me, after tons of rounds of being overly frustrated I realized I'll never be good at this game. Between work and kids I have almost zero time to consistently practice and here I am getting pissed off because I'm not suddenly a better golfer because I have new equipment and took a couple of lessons. I'll never be scratch, and I may never actually be good at golf. Since then, I don't care what my score is, but I try to have the most fun as I can out there. I actually think I've played some of my best golf since that point. Golf for me is truly a hobby ... I enjoy it, but I'm done losing sleep over how fantastically crappy I am capable of playing.

My most recent "Aha moment" came just yesterday. I went to the range for the 1st time in a very long time and was very inconsistent with my irons until....I stuck my butt out a little more and really concentrated on keeping my lower body/legs as quiet as possible. Started hitting my irons long, crisp and straight for a change as I noticed imemdiately how much better my balance was. I took it to the course today (only played 9 due to the cold wind and backup on the 10th tee) but shot even par with two birdies and two bogies. Irons had the flag "covered" all day except for a push with a 6I on an uphill 157 yard par 3. That thought process worked very, very well with the driver as well.

Probably not the kind of AHA moment most people are going to relay ...

My AHA moment was on the course early last year. Playing a difficult hole, tried to overpower my swing, and essentially drilled the ball into the ground. Got really mad, and then it hit me, after tons of rounds of being overly frustrated I realized I'll never be good at this game. Between work and kids I have almost zero time to consistently practice and here I am getting pissed off because I'm not suddenly a better golfer because I have new equipment and took a couple of lessons. I'll never be scratch, and I may never actually be good at golf. Since then, I don't care what my score is, but I try to have the most fun as I can out there. I actually think I've played some of my best golf since that point. Golf for me is truly a hobby ... I enjoy it, but I'm done losing sleep over how fantastically crappy I am capable of playing.

I've had that moment as well. It is truly liberating. I just don't play enough to ever be really good ... and I'm OK with that.

I'm riding my confidence from Saturday and hope it translates to the range this week and weekend...

But I had an ugly round Saturday so I decided to hit 10-15 golf balls on the range and went out to play 3 holes to see if it worked. I would hinge my wrist a little sooner on my takeway and not let the club fall flat behind me. My striking was so much better and straighter.

I hope this was my AHA moment!

Back