$750 saved up for a new driver

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Alright, I have saved up $750 for a new driver. I am looking for an unbelievable driver, that will be the most forgiving as well as accurate driver I can get for my money and will also give me the most distance for my buck. What driver(s) should I be checking out?

The new Callaway Rogue sounds promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F8, Rogue, and G400 would be at the top of my must try list. Maybe the new TM offering but haven't heard enough firsthand experience yet.

JPX900 on the bay for $180...then some JPX irons too!...you might squeeze a used putter too

Buy something a year or 2 old. Put the remaining $500.00 towards greens fee's for the year.

Congrats on reaching that goal! I know from your posts that you love to maximize your value when it comes to clubs. With a budget of $750, I personally would pursue a custom fitting. You may want to check out this thread. Some of the posters are still active here. I would do it that way because if I were to spend top dollar on bleeding edge tech (potentially) I would want to know I got the best stuff for me.

Best-Fitter-In-The-Western-NY-Region

I’d go through a proper fitting and let the fitter guide you. So many great drivers out there but getting the right shaft is always a challenge. I have and Epic SZ and 5 different shaft for it and I’m still deciding which shaft I like best!

G400 is at the top of my list....but use some of that $$ to go get fit! Everyone's swing and numbers are different. Looks like there is a "Woods to Wedges" near where you live that fits with Trackman and credits you back the fitting fee if you buy from there. Sounds like you can't go wrong! http://woodstowedgesbuffalo.com/fittings/

Alright, I have saved up $750 for a new driver. I am looking for an unbelievable driver, that will be the most forgiving as well as accurate driver I can get for my money and will also give me the most distance for my buck. What driver(s) should I be checking out?

It is the proper head/shaft combo so I would recommend going to a high end fitter like a Club Champion or Cool Clubs where they have lots of shafts to try. I think the shaft is more important than the head.

G400 is at the top of my list....but use some of that $$ to go get fit! Everyone's swing and numbers are different. Looks like there is a "Woods to Wedges" near where you live that fits with Trackman and credits you back the fitting fee if you buy from there. Sounds like you can't go wrong! http://woodstowedgesbuffalo.com/fittings/

I agree with dhart. Looks like his suggestion would be the closest golf fitting system near you in NY. Woods to wedges seems like a well-reviewed place that uses trackman. I’d spend the money for a fitting (might even get a full bag fitting with it too...?) and then purchase whatever driver is best suited to you. $750 might cover that and then some!

PRGR 2017 Super Egg Driver
Honma Beres S-06 Driver
2016 Ryoma MAXIMA - Type V

I would agree with those who have said to go and do a proper fitting and go with what gives you the best results and the one that gets you the most excited to play.

I’d go through a proper fitting and let the fitter guide you. So many great drivers out there but getting the right shaft is always a challenge. I have and Epic SZ and 5 different shaft for it and I’m still deciding which shaft I like best!

How long ago did you get this Epic and shafts? And how long have you been trying to decide which shaft you like best?
I'm afraid that if I got fitted, and spent that kind of money, that later on I would discover that I need a different shaft and need to shell out even more money.

How long ago did you get this Epic and shafts? And how long have you been trying to decide which shaft you like best?
I'm afraid that if I got fitted, and spent that kind of money, that later on I would discover that I need a different shaft and need to shell out even more money.

That’s what the fitting is for. To find the best shaft /head combo for your swing.

That’s what the fitting is for. To find the best shaft /head combo for your swing.

Sure, yet I don't want to have to purchase 5 different shafts and then go home and try to figure out which one I like best.

Sure, yet I don't want to have to purchase 5 different shafts and then go home and try to figure out which one I like best.

If the fitter can’t put you into a single head/shaft configuration then he shouldn’t charge you. His/her whole purpose is to find that one configuration that fits you best.

If the fitter can’t put you into a single head/shaft configuration then he shouldn’t charge you. His/her whole purpose is to find that one configuration that fits you best.

That sounds much better.

Yep. That’s the entire point of a fitting to find the best combo for you.

Lot of folks here tinker a lot, and that’s how they end up having 5-4000 shafts in their garages to try different combos.

Last winter went back to my iron/wedge fitter, got fitted and ended up with a KZG 12.5 set up. Aldila shaft, golf pride grip.

$325 Can, all in.

No weights, no toggles...I figure thats what the fitter is for.

None of the KZG stuff has let me down. and I trust the fitter

I was part of a select testing panel and I hit all the 2018 unreleased stuff (and some 2017 stuff) just before Thanksgiving. Here's my thoughts…

Callaway Rogue = garbage. Underwhelming performance overall. The Rogue fairways are very nice, though.
TaylorMade M3/M4 = the TwistFace tech is unbelievably good. Very forgiving. Ball speeds were up with HammerHead, too. Yes, I'm a TaylorMade homer, but the results according to TrackMan can't be denied.
Cobra F8 = my 2nd favorite. Good looks, sound, overall performance, etc…
Srixon & Honma = don't forget these! You must try them. I was very impressed with both drivers.
Ping G400 = just very average and I hated the sound.
Mizuno = they should stick to making irons only. Garbage on every aspect compared to other brand offerings.

** My statements are based on TrackMan stats. The testing was performed for Golf Magazine in partnership with Club Champion.

I was part of a select testing panel and I hit all the 2018 unreleased stuff (and some 2017 stuff) just before Thanksgiving. Here's my thoughts…

Callaway Rogue = garbage. Underwhelming performance overall. The Rogue fairways are very nice, though.
TaylorMade M3/M4 = the TwistFace tech is unbelievably good. Very forgiving. Ball speeds were up with HammerHead, too. Yes, I'm a TaylorMade homer, but the results according to TrackMan can't be denied.
Cobra F8 = my 2nd favorite. Good looks, sound, overall performance, etc…
Srixon & Honma = don't forget these! You must try them. I was very impressed with both drivers.
Ping G400 = just very average and I hated the sound.
Mizuno = they should stick to making irons only. Garbage on every aspect compared to other brand offerings.

** My statements are based on TrackMan stats. The testing was performed for Golf Magazine in partnership with Club Champion.

Do you have the track man stats? I’d like to see them. Hard to believe that a company that has gained so much momentum and has such a good reputation (callaway) would put out “garbage”.

Like you said you’re a TM homer though

Sent from HTX

Unless you signed a NDA post those trackman numbers.

Find out what shaft is best for you and then you will be happy with cobra, TM, cally or ping. All the major OEM heads are really good nowadays

Back