What's the Longest Iron You Feel Comfortable Hitting?

What's the Longest Iron You Feel Comfortable Hitting?

• 3 Iron

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • 4 Iron

Votes: 44 37.0%
  • 5 Iron

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • 6 Iron

Votes: 18 15.1%

• Total voters
4i for sure. I haven't used a 3i in over 5 years...

I like them all, the lower the number the better.

4 iron for me. Probably because I've never really given a 3 a shot. I feel more comfortable with irons than metal woods off the turf, but not the tee.

I will hit 4 iron without hesitation. Will I hit it perfect every time, no. I don't hit any of my clubs perfect every time. Never even attempted to hit a higher iron than a 4.

4 iron. I once booked a lesson because I was inconsistent with my 3 iron. My pro told me to take it out the bag and replace it with a 7 wood or 3 hybrid. We spent the lesson working on other things. I love my 3 hybrid.

Since I don't carry an iron longer than 5 iron. I guess that is my answer. Once I found hybrids I liked out went the 3 and 4 iron. With that being said I hit long irons just fine, it is just hybrids are so much easier to hit for me.

My current iron set goes up to 4i, and I regularly hit it. I used to play up to 3i and even had a 2i for awhile, although I only hit the 2i off the tee. Way back I tried to use my dad's 1i but never had good results. In a lot of cases I prefer a long iron to a fairway wood. I have only had/hit one hybrid, an 18* Ping G10, and use it like a 4w. I know a lot of people use hybrids as long iron replacements, but that's something I have not tried.

3i. I can swing a 2i length utility iron. But I don't have one.

The FG Tour V4 utility and Apex UT are both solid solid options

For me of the turf Im fine with a 6 iron. Off the tee, depending on the shot, I may hit 5iron.

I feel just fine with my 4I from the tee but not so much from the fairway unless it's a low running punch after I put myself in a bad position.

Kinda against popular thought but I have yet to find a hybrid I like for more than a few rounds, months at the most.

The longest iron I carry is 5 and ive thought about ditching that for another hybrid. I just love them

I am comfortable with a 3 iron in the bag.

I find it interesting when people say they can't hit a hybrid. They are the easiest clubs to hit IMO. I know very few players that can swing a long iron effectively.
I too am comfortable with the 3i and put my hybrids on the shelf. It wasn't so much that they were hard to hit. I just had too big of a gap in my bag between the 4h and 5i.

4i for me. I wouldn't carry it if I didn't feel comfortable hitting it. I've had 2 or 3 hybrids over the last few years, but they never stay in my bag.

5i is the longest iron I carry, the hybos work very well for me and are very easy to hit.

Not sure if it's because it's a comfort thing with the length of the long irons and my posture, but I have no problem ripping 3 4 or 5 irons. I practice with them more than any other clubs probably but it's something I didn't want to shy away from. I've had so so success with hybrids so I much prefer long irons.

The longest iron I have is a 5, so I'd have to say that by default. I can't hit hybrids at all. I carry one just for the purpose of knocking one low under trees, but I essentially use a putting stroke when I do it (although I did hit a real beauty with it over the weekend).

I keep threatening to get a 4 iron, and I should just break down and do it. As it is, my gap gets from 5 iron to my SLDR Mini.

Two months ago I would have said 3i.

Now maybe an 8i.

I have the same confidence with a 5-iron as I do with a 6 or 7, so that is what I chose. I don't mind pulling the 4, but I know it will rarely be as accurate as the 5 on down.

I don't carry a 3 iron because there are no 3 iron shots on my home course but I'm super comfortable hitting one. My XR Pro 4 iron is so silly easy to hit high that it will be a long time before I consider a hybrid.

I like my G25 4-iron and can hit it pretty consistent. Its much straighter than any hybrid or FW in my bag, and has a good medium height flight, with a slight draw. I'm not a long hitter, but I can squeeze 175-180 yards from it.

6i. I actually like it more than my 7i for some reason.

5 iron for me , I will hit a 4 but It ain't pretty.

3 iron. I just hit it so much more confidently than a hybrid. Only hybrids I've had good success with are actually utility irons like apex ut, srixon u45 and Titleist tmb

The 3 iron is where my comfort zone tops out and I usually play a GI type club in that loft.

Back