Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Where i live, this driver is $700+ (due to the local gst and weakening dollarand a small market). We have the first round of our club champs this weekend. Imagine i had had this driver for a month and had it dialled in perfectly and the all of a sudden it has to go back and I don't have a driver for a once a year event. I'd be pretty annoyed. I don't think them couhing up for half a dozen or a dozen balls would be the end of the world for them. You buy a new driver, the least you can expect is it not having issues.

As someone who is completely unbiased on this club (I'm still working this against my Biocell) and company in general, let me ask a question. If you buy a new car and a month down the road a headlight goes out do you expect that car company to give you a brand new car, or simply replace the headlight? Would you expect them to do more than replace the headlight at no cost to you? I wouldn't think so. I am one that had an issue with my weight not holding and Callaway was good enough to replace it even though I was not the original owner of that club. Was it a bummer that I was without my club for a week, sure. But stuff happens.

Actually, it is great customer service. Outside the golf industry (which has unbelievable service as a whole) companies look to blame the consumer all over. Especially when it comes to consumable products where a human can easily break an item and place the blame on poor craftsmanship.

Ever dealt with the cable company? How about a cell phone company? They make you jump through 99 hoops before doing anything.

So yes, it was great customer service to resolve the issue like that. Why would they need to do something else? Because you want something for free? SMH

Aside from asking for something for free, this isn't far off.

I will say that my wife was just fitted for one and I asked about the weight issue since THP ain't the only place it's mentioned.

As someone who is completely unbiased on this club (I'm still working this against my Biocell) and company in general, let me ask a question. If you buy a new car and a month down the road a headlight goes out do you expect that car company to give you a brand new car, or simply replace the headlight? Would you expect them to do more than replace the headlight at no cost to you? I wouldn't think so. I am one that had an issue with my weight not holding and Callaway was good enough to replace it even though I was not the original owner of that club. Was it a bummer that I was without my club for a week, sure. But stuff happens.

After reading this thread, I now expect the car company to give me a brand new car AND a Great Big Bertha Driver while throwing in a dozen ProV1's!

It's the least they should do:bananadance:

After reading this thread, I now expect the car company to give me a brand new car AND a Great Big Bertha Driver while throwing in a dozen ProV1's!

It's the least they should do:bananadance:

Sign me up for this logic!

Heck, make me Harry's assistant and I will forget about the weight issue. I'll get free clubs and star in some Callaway Friday Office Golf Video entitled "Can Phil hit a flop shot off this guys's stomach?"

"I don't know Phil. There's a lot of rough there. Need some manscaping."

Look, why turn Mr. McGreedy and expect something more than a replacement? I could see a promo code if you are really wronged, but other than that... it happens."

This GBB really is a revelation for Callaway and the golfing public.

Last edited:
Just want to make something clear on my end....When I called Callaway to ask them about the sliding weight screw, I wasn't expecting more than a way to fix it, maybe a replacement screw, but they said since the screw would not come out (told them I had tried and it wouldn't move either way) THEY said THEY would gladly replace the club. They asked what I had (loft, shaft, flex etc etc) and said I would have the replacement within 5 days. Yes, I call that Great Customer Service from Callaway as I think anyone would.

Finally got our demos in today. Needless to say, I went straight to the launch monitor with the 9* head with Kuro Kage stiff. Launch was great, spin numbers were just a tad high at around 2800, ball speed was pretty good for me peppering the heel very often, and my longest drive (which was the 1 solid swing I was able to make while rushing) ended up carrying 268 yards. Longer than M1 was for me, which I think is pretty darn impressive. Oh, and I heart the matte finish of the head. Needless to say, this is a heavy ponder now.

Was pounding this club again today. The 9* head paired with the Aldila Rouge I/O 60 in X is just a weapon. Finally confident off the tee in any situation and I fricken love it.

Pic maybe? That sounds crazy. Would def contact Callaway too.

Here is a picture of the driver head. Still not sure how it happened. Might contact Callaway CS. Anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• IMG_20151017_151446.jpg
    IMG_20151017_151446.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
Nope, haven't seen that before and my head has been through the wringer. I'd give them a call.

I am deeeeeesperate for my Great Big Blue Bertha to ship, was a 2 week lead time, almost there!!

I am deeeeeesperate for my Great Big Blue Bertha to ship, was a 2 week lead time, almost there!!

I think when I get back from the Grandaddy I'll pick your brain about Continental golf.

That's going to be a sweet club!

Thinking of putting it up to +1 10* for my next round out. can't hurt to try. I get very good height with it set to 9*, but I feel like some shots could use a little more height when I come in a little flat.

Thinking of putting it up to +1 10* for my next round out. can't hurt to try. I get very good height with it set to 9*, but I feel like some shots could use a little more height when I come in a little flat.

I used to love the height the 9* generated, but going +2 helped with carry and a bit more than at 10*... Try the +2 I think you'll be happily surprised

Here is a picture of the driver head. Still not sure how it happened. Might contact Callaway CS. Anyone seen this before?

Called Callaway on my way home from work yesterday. I'm sending the driver into them to inspect it. I'll keep you posted!

After spending 2 months with this driver, I have an idea what I want to look for at my #Grandaddy fitting. Currently fit to the Fubuki 50 and had some really good numbers on their LM with it. On course, numbers have been pretty good. However I can't help but have an idea what I am looking for in this head when my time comes with the fitter.

Got an adapter on the Tour Green, so going to give that a run next time out. It plays a half inch longer than the Rouge I/O Silver 60 (46" with the tour green and 45.5" with the Rouge I/O) that I ordered with it. Going to see if I want to keep it longer or actually make it a slightly shorter option. Will be interested to see the results.

Tour green was good, but I didn't see any benefit distance wise from playing at 46", so I will probably end up making the tour green play 45" even and have it as a slightly shorter option. Very good combo with the GBB though.

Also, playing it +1 at 10* saw good results. A little windy, so hard to tell distance wise what might have changed, but I liked what I saw ball flight wise better. Going to stick with +1/N setting for now.

Played my 1st round today with the GBB head with my LZ 60 shaft, this is definitely longer than the Alpha 815 for me. I brought my lousy swing from yesterday for golf today so the GBB was the bright spot of the day. I gained at least 10 yards on clean near center contact and did not lose near as much on toe hits.

Today I finally had a chance to take the plastic off of my GBB. I absolutely love my Titleist 913 D3 and am very happy with it so the thought of the GBB replacing it in the bag would be a tough one.I have never owned a Callaway driver and was really apperhensive when i purchased the GBB but I have always been to afraid to change anything even though my game is really not that good.I just get comfortable with a club and it stays in the bag weather my game improves or not.

Today's range time was at Sevierville golf course , I chose that range due to the quality of balls compared to the other ranges around. Dang sure wasn't going to hit beater balls with the new club. My GBB is set up with the 9.0 head w/ stiff Red Tie shaft +1/4 . After the first 20-25 balls I hit with the club straight from Callaway were not very impressive and I thought Oh'Boy what am I thinking of changing for and this club will be in the THP MP or Ebay. I was getting a low launch and not very impressive distance at all and the feel of the club at impact was not very appealing to me . Felt awful at ball contact like I was hitting a rock with a very low ball filght,and I though maybe the shaft just wasn't for me. Tried playing with the sliding weight to no avail,then I Texted my buddy Rancey (Sparksjr.) and let him no what was going on ,he suggested I loft up .After a few minutes with the ajustabilty guide I lofted up +1/N position with the slider weight in the middle of Fade/Draw setting. Man what difference,It's like a totally different club with a great straight ball flight and distance, even made the shaft feel a ton softer (If that makes sense) and the rock hitting feeling gave way to a smooth feeling ball contact. After about another 40 balls I ventured into more of the head settings and added a little more Fade/Draw selection trying to work the ball but they seemed to want to go straight no matter were i set the adjustment,which I am fine with.I think with a little more time with this club it can be a monster for me and no doubt it will add 20+yds to my game.

After so many years of not even giving a Callaway club a chance I thought today would be a let down but I left the range today after about 150 balls a very happy customer.

Headed to the Heavenwood thread where there is more of the same coming.

Adding 20 yards is acceptable as long as you don't laugh at me every time you out drive me now.

Adding 20 yards is acceptable as long as you don't laugh at me every time you out drive me now.
Ha,that will put me 5 yds behind you and hopefully 15 yds closer to the center of the fairway.
Thanks for the tips today,Huge gains .

Struggling to find the right setup. I am sure biggest issue is the Indian, not the arrow. I am starting some lessons next week and hopefully can get a fresh start with the GBB.

Back