Mac O'Grady instruction

Yff Theos

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi there, I am fairly new to the forum and will enjoy all discussion about Mac O'Grady ideas as well as swing thoughts. I am familiar that not all can be revealed because of Mac's rules and will never insist on it. I like to expand my TGM through MORAD as I am aware that Homer's work is far from being perfect.

Are there Mac's fans here on the forum?

Sorry, no idea who that is, what's the background on him and the instruction methods?

Hi there, I am fairly new to the forum and will enjoy all discussion about Mac O'Grady ideas as well as swing thoughts. I am familiar that not all can be revealed because of Mac's rules and will never insist on it. I like to expand my TGM through MORAD as I am aware that Homer's work is far from being perfect.

He is a golf genius but his instruction is too much for me. I subscribe to the the KISS method when it comes to the golf swing.

Sorry, no idea who that is, what's the background on him and the instruction methods?

Well, in short: he is one of Homer Kelley's (the author of the famous/infamous The Golfing machine yellow book) late students, a very genius mind who decided to run firther studies on the subject. He has been called one of the best ballstrikers of all times, he is a tour player and winner and a famous instructor who influenced a lot of accomplished golfers (including the Stack&Tilt ones) and imo is the real father of the modern swing. I would suggest to search for Mac O'Grady swings that are available on You Tube and many of you who do not know his swing would be enamored in it.

He is a former tour player turned instructor. Many of today's current instructors have been influenced by Mac. MORAD is his study of the swing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

And he was a reknown ball striker lefty or righty. Free spirit, fought with Commissioner Deane Beman a lot in the day.

My first golf coach was a big Mac o Grady guy. My coach moved away to a private club so I haven’t been to him in years but he helped me develop a good swing and I liked what he taught. I know my swing has evolved quite a bit since then (5-6 yrs ago) but there is still stuff I refer back to from Grady’s videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i like his ideas a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's for sure one of my favorites. A lot of time I think I like golf instruction better than golf =)

Holy cow i didnt understand a word you posted

Sent from my LG-AK495 using Tapatalk

I've never heard of him. Might have to take a peek for fun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

His swing seems very simple and efficient, Googling around I don't see much that is recent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

His swing seems very simple and efficient, Googling around I don't see much that is recent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes, that's why I think he can be a great model for new golfers. Especially his late swings when he was +50 years old. You can find some swings on YouTube from all angles.

the instructor i worked with the most over the last few years always put my swing against mac's to show the ways i wasn't shifting my weight properly. there's a lot of stack-and-tilt in mac's swing.

I would rather say there is a lot of Mac's principles in S&T swing.

yes, that's definitely a more accurate statement. mike and andy used a lot of mac's ideas. there are several videos on yt of mac's swing that pretty much looks exactly like s&t, but obviously he was doing that a lot earlier. it's a beautiful swing! there are also lots of videos of mac making swings in 1970s shorty shorts and no shirt lol

That would be correct as Mike and Andy both worked with Mac before starting stack and tilt

One of the best Tour teachers, Mike Bender still uses Mac's guidance in his teachings:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgQt5IHnE3j/?hl=pl&taken-by=mikebendergolf

I guess this the best answer for some naysayers.

Sorry, I don't hear Bender mentioned as one of the best Tour Teachers. S&T works for a little while, and then it doesn't. He ignores the data in public that the majority of pressure goes to the back foot before moving to the left in his former model of his swing -- Grant Waite. Mac O'Grady dismissed Bender from his group a long time ago. He says that he does Mac from a long time ago - the '80's. Things have changed with tech and Trackman. We know a lot more than previously. And who knows what Mac is teaching now, if he is teaching. That elbow position is no different than we see with others - although it may depend on what club you are swinging, the shaft is usually even or above the arm, although with a driver one may come in more shallow as shown here.

Calling others indolent who have not stood still since the 80's is rather brazen of you -- and indolent.

Sorry, I don't hear Bender mentioned as one of the best Tour Teachers. S&T works for a little while, and then it doesn't. He ignores the data in public that the majority of pressure goes to the back foot before moving to the left in his former model of his swing -- Grant Waite. Mac O'Grady dismissed Bender from his group a long time ago. He says that he does Mac from a long time ago - the '80's. Things have changed with tech and Trackman. We know a lot more than previously. And who knows what Mac is teaching now, if he is teaching. That elbow position is no different than we see with others - although it may depend on what club you are swinging, the shaft is usually even or above the arm, although with a driver one may come in more shallow as shown here.

Obviously the fact that he was once dismissed by Mac (as many were) does not matter for Bender and he still is honest enough to confirm what was his best source of golf swing teaching knowledge. Bender's students are multiple major winners. Trackman (and other tools) will not teach students. These are just tools to help us pros in the process.

Obviously the fact that he was once dismissed by Mac (as many were) does not matter for Bender and he still is honest enough to confirm what was his best source of golf swing teaching knowledge. Bender's students are multiple major winners. Trackman (and other tools) will not teach students. These are just tools to help us pros in the process.

Check the long term success of Pros with Bender before speaking.

Actually, Trackman and all the Tech now available such as 3D and other tools have changed what we know about the golf swing and has influenced changes in teaching and how we swing the club. They are more than tools. Of course, if you don't have the tech to see the changes, you are left in '80's-2010 era.

Check the long term success of Pros with Bender before speaking.

Actually, Trackman and all the Tech now available such as 3D and other tools have changed what we know about the golf swing and has influenced changes in teaching and how we swing the club. They are more than tools. Of course, if you don't have the tech to see the changes, you are left in '80's-2010 era.

Well, I am a Mac fan and I liked what Mike Bender said. If you are a hater, just omit this thread or start a thread for Trackman fans.

Well, I am a Mac fan and I liked what Mike Bender said. If you are a hater, just omit this thread or start a thread for Trackman fans.

You don't get it. You should do some research on Bender and his pros and cons instead of being a fan boy. If you are an instructor, gawd forbid if you're still living in the '80's. But then I've seen you get kicked out of other forum(s).

One can appreciate the past, but being an instructor means continual learning - you're 30 years behind. Need to catch up. It's 2018.

Came into this thread to check into info... but then
374c01b8ece62b5e93db33334eb1dc0e.jpg

Sent from HTX

Calling others indolent who have not stood still since the 80's is rather brazen of you -- and indolent.
This post has me a little confused as Mike Bender doesn't teach S&T. I work with a Mike Bender protege and it is the farthest thing from S&T. Also Bender is a advocate of trackman. Most of Bender's teaching is based on Hogan's principles. He is well regarded and his work with Zach Johnson speaks for itself.

Mike Bennett is one of the founders of S&T any chance Bender got confused for Bennett?

Back