Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Todays 9 holes in a word was "solid".
First off at setup, if you liked the previous set, you are going to love this set. Similar profile and there is a confidence with the sole and weighting there that is rather unique to me. Comparing them side by side, I could not tell a huge difference in terms of sound. Its a bit deeper here for me for the sound and the feedback across the face is very similar. These do in a weird way have a deeper and softer feel to them. Could be anything however and I am not ready to give too much info on that after a single range session and 9 holes.

One thing to note here is that before the round I hit both 6 irons on the FlightScope for 20 minutes. What was interesting was less spin (about 400 RPMs on average) yet with a higher launch (1.3 degrees) and 7 feet higher peak height. It equated to (according to flightscope) about 2.9 yards more carry for me compared to the previous 6 iron. Its not a distance thing for me, with this set, but something I enjoyed nonetheless.

People want to know about forgiveness, well its hard to say this early. I will have more on this coming soon, but according to FlightScope, missing towards the toe resulted in very little distance loss with the 6 iron. I did not miss towards the heel despite trying once and nearly whiffing. Missing low on the club face showed a true star here as the ball speed and spin never wavered. Missing high saw a small zap in ball speed, but no more than any other iron I have tested as of late.

It was only 9 holes, but so far I am pretty happy with what I saw. More coming soon over the next few weeks.
If possible, this made me even more excited to hit these. I find the toe and low grooves more than I'd like.

Callaway just put out a really cool behind the scenes story on the Apex and Apex CF 16 and their making. Pretty cool to read a company and how they implement an idea, the struggles along the way, the finish product, and then how to make it better.

http://bit.ly/ApexHistory

Callaway just put out a really cool behind the scenes story on the Apex and Apex CF 16 and their making. Pretty cool to read a company and how they implement an idea, the struggles along the way, the finish product, and then how to make it better.

I read that this morning. I enjoyed that they walked through all of the misses as long as what worked.

I read that this morning. I enjoyed that they walked through all of the misses as long as what worked.

I too enjoyed that. I think the part that jumped out the most was the acoustics when they first started. "Sounds like it's broken when you hit it? Well... We have to fix that. "

Why can't other companies use that logic?

Missing low on the club face showed a true star here as the ball speed and spin never wavered.
This makes me happy

Todays 9 holes in a word was "solid".
First off at setup, if you liked the previous set, you are going to love this set. Similar profile and there is a confidence with the sole and weighting there that is rather unique to me.

This makes me happy. I have no doubt the tech will perform & hearing that at address they are similar or better is a huge plus.

Crazy that these will be available to 12 THP'ers in December.

Another reason there is NO event like #TheGrandaddy.

Any changes to correct the finish issue some had before?

Any changes to correct the finish issue some had before?

Finish issue was on the Pro's, there really was none on the standard Apex (as it pertains to the browning seen). Its part of why they went polished chrome on the Pro this go round, that and product differentiation.

Great observations JB. Love that missing low is still forgiving, since that is my most common miss.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

On your next opportunity can you test the gapping between 7 and 8 irons? I'm very curious as the xr and xr pro with cup face were way longer than apex for me. Definitely curious how they managed the potential distance gap between the cup face and non cup face

I read online that the gapping issue is addressed through COR and CG placement.

Wow. That is a really great article. It's cool to see how excited they are for people to get out and try the irons.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

I read online that the gapping issue is addressed through COR and CG placement.
Yes I saw that as well. "Cup face somewhat phased out in the 7 iron, 8 iron and shorter irons still have improved 2 piece design so should still be longer than the predecessor."

Finish issue was on the Pro's, there really was none on the standard Apex (as it pertains to the browning seen). Its part of why they went polished chrome on the Pro this go round, that and product differentiation.
Good. I was hoping rhe finish bug wouldn't continue from the x24hot of old, hopefully they finally squashed the bug. Can never go wrong with polished anyway.

Awesome info today, really appreciate it. Just solidifies my desire to order these.

If the finish is the same as the regular Apexes from last time, they'll be fine. Luckily, I use the whole clubface, so the wear on my Pros isn't as drastic as it could be.

Got a chance to hit 20 or so shots at golfsmith with the Apex 2016 7 Iron with Recoil 780 Stiff Shaft. They felt great and the distance was fantastic. My only concern is the low spin nature of this head. I was carrying it 186 yards with only 4600 spin and 17 degrees of launch. This would be great in really windy conditions but my concern is having this stick on firm hard greens. I will wait and here from all the THPers that get these at the Grandaddy before I will purchase.

Got a chance to hit 20 or so shots at golfsmith with the Apex 2016 7 Iron with Recoil 780 Stiff Shaft. They felt great and the distance was fantastic. My only concern is the low spin nature of this head. I was carrying it 186 yards with only 4600 spin and 17 degrees of launch. This would be great in really windy conditions but my concern is having this stick on firm hard greens. I will wait and here from all the THPers that get these at the Grandaddy before I will purchase.
More important though are the peak height and descent angle numbers when it comes to holding greens. Get a shot of those by chance?

And I'm jealous you got to hit them!!!!

More important though are the peak height and descent angle numbers when it comes to holding greens. Get a shot of those by chance?

And I'm jealous you got to hit them!!!!

I put together the head myself from the Callaway Fitting Cart at Golfsmith it felt really good was a bit short on time. I believe the height was 31 and descent was 51 degrees. Which I know is pretty good. From having the XR Pros which have similar numbers I get some really long 3/4 shots that don't spin like what I am used. Maybe just my personal preference.

I put together the head myself from the Callaway Fitting Cart at Golfsmith it felt really good was a bit short on time. I believe the height was 31 and descent was 51 degrees. Which I know is pretty good. From having the XR Pros which have similar numbers I get some really long 3/4 shots that don't spin like what I am used. Maybe just my personal preference.
Definitely right on with the descent and peak one likes to see. Nice!

Loving what I am hearing/reading...
I probably don't have the game for these, but I think I want...

I can't wait to fix the pitch marks these babies are gonna leave on The Hideaway greens!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I can't wait to fix the pitch marks these babies are gonna leave on The Hideaway greens!

You won't need to...
It'll be done for you!

If work cooperates tomorrow I will hopefully get a chance to test these and the pros out at lunch time.

You won't need to...
It'll be done for you!
That's going to be weird for me, not used to that kind of treatment!

Back