Long Drive Competition

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone on here ever attempt to compete in these? What kind of swing speed do you need to be competitive? I've seen the finals where guys are hitting 130-140mph swing speed, just didn't know if that was the norm, or if those were the outliers.

I’d guess that’s the norm. Those guys swing HARD.

The furthercyou advabcectowards the finals the more you will need. At local qualifiers it will vary. A co-worker used to compete and at some locals 350 would win

If you can carry it 300-320 with a stock length driver on course you might have a slight chance in local events.

I played a few holes with a long driver at a charity tournament and these guys truly are on another planet swing speed wise. I'd expect that 120-130 is fairly typical although faster are out there.

I played a few holes with a long driver at a charity tournament and these guys truly are on another planet swing speed wise. I'd expect that 120-130 is fairly typical although faster are out there.

Keep going. Sadlowski has been clocked at 150+.

Keep going. Sadlowski has been clocked at 150+.

Totally believe it and yeah my range was low. It’s insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they have them for 50 and over? Would be fun to try it at a local level, i am 50 and my driver ss with me stock cobra driver is 112 according to trackman at my last demo. I'd i would use a 1"longer and stand on it i think i could push 120

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Do they have them for 50 and over? Would be fun to try it at a local level, i am 50 and my driver ss with me stock cobra driver is 112 according to trackman at my last demo. I'd i would use a 1"longer and stand on it i think i could push 120

They do and you need to hit it over 300 in competition to be competitive. 315ish if you want to win. I don’t have any chance with my 106ish SS but there are several guys just at my club in there 50’s like me that are 25 yards longer than me.

They do and you need to hit it over 300 in competition to be competitive. 315ish if you want to win. I don’t have any chance with my 106ish SS but there are several guys just at my club in there 50’s like me that are 25 yards longer than me.
Are they using 48" shafts or standard length?

I second this. I saw a guy at a charity tournament and he would hit your drive for a $10 donation. I have played golf for a while and have never seen anyone swing as hard as this guy. And he missed out on qualifying for Denver at 420 yards. He needed 425.

There's a guy from my hometown that's training for LD competitions now, he's not even on the national stage yet. He's hitting 140-150 club head speed. There is still some consistency needed to keep at least one in the grid.

I'm definitely interested being way out of shape, no flexibility at all and no formal training I can get up around 122-124ss, I'm 37 so I'm probably a little late to the game, but maybe with some training, some guidance I can compete in the 50+ In a couple of years :laugh:

Some real flexibility and strength appears required. I don’t stand a chance but it’s fun to watch.
9dbc561c8c2cf0da06b5805be15177d2.jpg

ed6c4af876abdf805cc14ea2ac4cee56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I figured substantial flexibility would be needed. Guess I need some Golf Yoga in my life.

I did one down in Richmond VA, used a 48" long tom driver 8° XX. I was Just over 120MPH with that setup. My ball was going way too high to get any roll, I sucked it up. All my shots that hit the grid were in the 320+ range, just wasn't even close to guys who got roll too.

There was a guy at the David Leadbetter side of the Championsgate range with about 10 drivers and he was whaling away at balls, he had is name on the bag Michael something. He looked like he was in his late 40's early 50's.
I asked the fitter about him and he said he was a senior long drive competitor, I was about 20ft away hitting balls (with my back to him) and the wind sound of his swing was incredible and sounded like a gun going off at contact.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm definitely interested being way out of shape, no flexibility at all and no formal training I can get up around 122-124ss, I'm 37 so I'm probably a little late to the game, but maybe with some training, some guidance I can compete in the 50+ In a couple of years :laugh:

The masters division starts at 45 but as was mentioned earlier mid 120s isn't going to the you out of the opening rounds at a local qualifier eve in that age group.

I have done these events a few years ago but I learned quickly its very expensive if you don't swing above 135mph. I topped out at 135mph when I was training for it. I did well at the local level and even qualified and made the finals of the Military division before they stopped having it. You need to be at least 135mph to have any shot at all. most guys are closer to 145mph now.

The masters division starts at 45 but as was mentioned earlier mid 120s isn't going to the you out of the opening rounds at a local qualifier eve in that age group.

That's pretty much what I figured.

Back