Inbound Missle alert sent out in Hawaii! Spoiler - was mistake

Jimmy3864

“JimmyD”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just read that an alert was issued on cell phones and television broadcasts in Hawaii ..."Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill.”

Took 38 minutes for the mistaken text to be taken down. Would have been a harrowing 38 minutes for everyone there.

Just read that an alert was issued on cell phones and television broadcasts in Hawaii ..."Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill.”

Took 38 minutes for the mistaken text to be taken down. Would have been a harrowing 38 minutes for everyone there.

A few people there need to be fired. You hit a wrong button, whoops. It happens. Why did it take 38 minutes to issue the cancellation?

Incoming Missle

Incoming Missle

So earlier today in Hawaii, they set off the Civil Defense notice through Cell phones and saying that an incoming Intercontinental Ballistic missile was inbound, this is not a Drill....it was a mistake. But what would you do if this happened....and it was not a drill?

It was mrhicksta's birthday today and he could have been ever celebrating. Just some really big bottle rockets. :laughing:

But what would you do if this happened....and it was not a drill?

When I was a child the teachers would have us do duck and cover drills. If you read about just how close we came to global destruction in the past you would realize just how horrific the current discourse is.
If or when it happens I’ll try to make it home so I can die with my loved ones.

The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner
Read: The Doomsday Machine by Daniel Ellsberg

Last edited:
When I was a child the teachers would have us do duck and cover drills. If you read about just how close we came to global destruction in the past you would realize just how horrific the current discourse is.
If or when it happens I’ll try to make it home so I can die with my loved ones.

The Doomsday Machine: Confessions of a Nuclear War Planner
Read: The Doomsday Machine by Daniel Ellsberg

Hardcore history has a podcast about the nuke threats, it’s long but well worth the listen. American Storytellers is a new podcast and their first 6 episodes are focused on the Cold War. Really interesting stuff.

Essentially duck and cover wouldn’t do anything in the event of a Nuke hit close by. The entire nuclear weapons “thing” is really really horrific.

In the event of a regular old missile attack, I’d hope I could find cover good enough and make peace with the universe as best I could.

Some friends had this poster in college:

Nuclear attck.jpg

There were some pretty interesting stories on the GC during the Sony coverage about what some people did during the alert. Some drove across the island to the other side of the mountain, others were calling family members and telling them where important documents were in their house, and others we took cover in the bathtubs of their rooms with family covered by mattresses. People were terrified, understandably so.

Yeah it was interesting this morning. I had just teed off when it happened, but my wife was at the beach on the Air Force base and they locked everything down until it was cleared. Multiple reports of it being an inadvertently hit button during shift turnover have come out now, but yeah...I'm sure there will be multiple heads that will roll as a result. As far as what you would actually do, we'll having seen what much, much smaller rockets can actually do to a building, unless you actually have access to a legit bomb shelter it's a wrap. I told my wife and kids find shelter in place and just hope for the best. Thankfully it was a false alarm, but it was definitely a shock.

I think my favorite story of the ones that have come out was the guy who was golfing when his phone went off. He was just like well.. I just made par on the last hole, and just hit the hell out of my drive. Love ya'll, but I'm playing golf.

I guess if you think you're gonna go, might as well do what you love, right?

I think my favorite story of the ones that have come out was the guy who was golfing when his phone went off. He was just like well.. I just made par on the last hole, and just hit the hell out of my drive. Love ya'll, but I'm playing golf.

I guess if you think you're gonna go, might as well do what you love, right?

I had just teed off and was walking down the 10th fairway when I got the alert. Considering I was 20 minutes from the house I fully intended to get 3 or 4 holes in :wink:.

I certainly would have had to change my pants. But after about 20 minutes I'd begin to suspect a mistake or a failure. Most likely spot for a launch would have been North Korea, and any missile launched from there should have arrived.

Unfortunately, it's not like you could do anything about it if you didn't have immediately access to a really hardened shelter.

I can't imagine how everyone felt back home. My parents still live in Honolulu and they told me they were pretty shocked as well. Not much you can do, according to the news, it only takes 20 minutes for a ballistic missile to travel from North Korea to Hawaii...it takes half that time just to start warning people...no bunkers no fallout shelters...just be with family and hope for the best and pray.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

I had just teed off and was walking down the 10th fairway when I got the alert. Considering I was 20 minutes from the house I fully intended to get 3 or 4 holes in :wink:.

I mean not much you can do, right? What if you were like 2 or 3 under? Eff that, we're riding this round out.

Spoiler alert, shelter aint gonna do much if that ICBM is from North Korea.

Spoiler alert, shelter aint gonna do much if that ICBM is from North Korea.

To be fair, it might just crash on its own and then no harm no foul. But yes, I agree.

This is the proper response. :D

To be fair, it might just crash on its own and then no harm no foul. But yes, I agree.

Either way, I am seeking shelter on the course or in the boudoir if that happens.

I can't imagine how everyone felt back home. My parents still live in Honolulu and they told me they were pretty shocked as well. Not much you can do, according to the news, it only takes 20 minutes for a ballistic missile to travel from North Korea to Hawaii...it takes half that time just to start warning people...no bunkers no fallout shelters...just be with family and hope for the best and pray.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

Yeah people are rightfully shook and it definitely gave me pause. An interesting start to my birthday for sure!

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this was no mistake. Maybe a missile was pointed at Hawaii and triggered the alarm. Or Maybe one was even fired and we were able to blow it out of the sky. Come on....things happen that the common public never know about. I think maybe we will never know just how close this "accident" was to the real thing.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this was no mistake. Maybe a missile was pointed at Hawaii and triggered the alarm. Or Maybe one was even fired and we were able to blow it out of the sky. Come on....things happen that the common public never know about. I think maybe we will never know just how close this "accident" was to the real thing.

Something tells me a nuclear-tipped missile launched at the United States would prompt a much larger response than a single interceptor.

Something tells me a nuclear-tipped missile launched at the United States would prompt a much larger response than a single interceptor.

You might be surprised. The history of nukes is full of really close misses the public never knew about until years later.

Back