Srixon Z 355 Irons Review

Great review. ton of good information and insight. I love everything about these irons, other then the fact that I just bought some Z545's off ebay. I think Srixon makes some great stuff and its only a matter of time till more people figure that out.

My only complaint is the badge. I don't understand why every GI iron seems to be required to have color filled badges in the cavity areas. It's not ugly, I just thought they had some of the best looking irons out in the 545's and think something similar would have been a better pick for these 355's.
This is my thought too. It's not like the 355s look bad at all, just that the 545s looked SO good, why not extend that look to the next line down?

Got to hit these a few times on the course this past weekend (thanks ddec). Really like them, very solid iron choice that is both forgiving and performs.

I definitely think the looks though are huge sellers for this iron, the lines look great, solid color scheme, look amazing at address.

Srixon has another success with these.

Dean - great review, and it was fun to get a few swings in with these the other day. They're definitely a club that will appeal to a lot of people. A good amount of launch in a profile that's only marginally larger than the 545s, which is really impressive.

Count me among the people who don't see the Gmax comparison. I don't even really see the comparison with the G30s - They're pretty close in size to my i25s.

Great work Dean!

Excellent review. I guess I have to put these irons on my must see list, too. That list is getting too long!

Excellent review. It's nice to see Srixon test out uncharted waters with their very first cast SGI offering. Love the brushed satin look similar to the Gmax and my Icons. Design is eerily similar as well. Makes you wonder if the CEO of Srixon, MD, and Ping all got togeher behind closed doors and combined ideas. I'm liking it.

I'm a little curious as to this comparison, if you are talking about tech wise.

Dean that was nice bro. To the point and filled with info. I imagine you've gained a few yards with those strong lofts

Really noticed it towards the bottom of the bag. It was quite nice. Big fan of these sticks, I think they have a lot to offer.

This is my thought too. It's not like the 355s look bad at all, just that the 545s looked SO good, why not extend that look to the next line down?
I have to agree hear also. Its not to the point of cheesey by any means, but I like the looks of all metal. And I tend not to trust little rubber or plastic inserts failing over time and coming loose. But having said that it wouldnt stop me from trying these out as the 545 has been a ponder for a while.

I have to agree hear also. Its not to the point of cheesey by any means, but I like the looks of all metal. And I tend not to trust little rubber or plastic inserts failing over time and coming loose. But having said that it wouldnt stop me from trying these out as the 545 has been a ponder for a while.

there are OEM's that use these badges in the back as a way to assist/manipulate sound. Different set of irons here, but I remember talking to Tomo from TM about the SLDR irons. I asked why the PW and AW didn't have the badging in the back the same as the other irons, he said it was simply for acoustic purposes due to the way the irons were constructed.

These are exponentially smaller than the Gmax.
Obviously the sole is much wider with the Gmax but their designs with the shallow face and satin finish along with the cavity look strikingly similar to me. Even more so comparing the Srixons with my Icons. Wow. But my eyes are going slowly so it might be me lol

there are OEM's that use these badges in the back as a way to assist/manipulate sound. Different set of irons here, but I remember talking to Tomo from TM about the SLDR irons. I asked why the PW and AW didn't have the badging in the back the same as the other irons, he said it was simply for acoustic purposes due to the way the irons were constructed.

This is very true. In fact the previous and current Apex models are similar to this.

Excellent write up Dean!

I do have a question because the spec sheet kinda made my eyes bug out. The leading edge vs trailing edge bounce. While awesome that they list that, it's confusing me.

How do the leading and trailing edge bounces come into play through turf etc?

Excellent write up Dean!

I do have a question because the spec sheet kinda made my eyes bug out. The leading edge vs trailing edge bounce. While awesome that they list that, it's confusing me.

How do the leading and trailing edge bounces come into play through turf etc?

I'd say for me it was more about keeping that edge from digging deep, if that makes sense. Gives them good enough leading edge to cut through the turf nicely and then that V sole seemed to help get it to glide through nicely. Here's a pic from a range session. Kind of illustrates the sole and how it interacts with the turf.
5a879630806afc5a78150ce4a99339c0.jpg

I'd say that photo says it all, thanks dude

Just like Mizuno's leading edge on the JPX, makes sense for Srixon to do the same.

I've had the Jpx825 and 825 Pro's and I was never sure that feature ever did anything for me even though I lean towards "digger" status for sure.

Really good review Dean, I enjoyed it.

I see from the specs that the swing weight for the steel shafts is D2, which is fairly normal. Yet the design calls these "head heavy" and with high balance point. Did you notice these irons "feeling different" that other irons, and if so, did it take some getting used to? What's your overall thoughts on the merits of this design? Thanks!

The quote below, taken from your review, is all I needed to hear. Since I seem to live on the bottom groove(s) these are on the must hit list.

"The most eye opening miss was low on the face. Giving credit to the sole design, these shots still allowed for a predictable flight and a result that was not altered significantly" (ddec homepage review 10/8/15)

I really appreciate your review on the homepage. I think that these are some great looking irons, and closer to my type of club than the gorgeous Z545 irons. I'm going to make an effort to give these a swing and have my own head to head comparo with my current irons. Thanks again.

Good review. Any chance of some more pics mainly PW, and maybe 8 iron in a normal address postion (non-hooded)? Thanks

Bought a set 4-AW with Steelfiber i95's.

I am very anxious to hit these next week.

These could be a sweet combo set with the 545's for those that need more help in the long irons (even though the 545 long irons are extremely forgiving IMO. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question. I see that the 355s were designed with an ultra-high balance point shaft. Previous fittings have recommended that I have my irons built 1/2" longer (over standard length). If this remains true--that I need 1/2" longer shafts--when I get fitted for the 355s, does that affect or change the intended "performance" of the ultra-high balance point of the shaft?

On a slight scale perhaps. Although if you are getting fit, iron wise, its very solvable.

Thanks, JB. I appreciate your reply. I just don't want to be defeating or negating the benefits of the design.

Back