Pro swings and your swing - Who do you look like the most?

As I'm working through my lessons this winter to get me doing the right things, I'm taking the things my teacher has me working on and I'm beginning to see similarities in what he is having me do to what Jon Rahm currently does.

I'm working to create more width in my swing but I am not able to reach all the way back to parallel and I also need to work on bowing my wrist like he and DJ do with their swings. The rotation, wrist position and club angle at the top of his swing are essentially what I'm trying to shoot for right now in my drills.

With that being said, either in lessons or or on your own, is there a golfer that you feel your swing looks like or you try to emulate?

Curious why you are aiming to get the DJ bowed wrist?

As an answer to the question I have been told I am a bit like JJ Spaun, waste size included.

Curious why you are aiming to get the DJ bowed wrist?

As an answer to the question I have been told I am a bit like JJ Spaun, waste size included.

Essentially the same reason DJ does it I am assuming. Trouble releasing the club face through the swing so I'm trying to preset the club face/knuckles down angle and then hold it through the swing so I can draw the ball instead of push everything out to the left since I'm left handed.

Essentially the same reason DJ does it I am assuming. Trouble releasing the club face through the swing so I'm trying to preset the club face/knuckles down angle and then hold it through the swing so I can draw the ball instead of push everything out to the left since I'm left handed.

are you working with an instructor, or just working on this by yourself? i think traditional logic says a bowed wrist would facilitate a cut, a cupped wrist would facilitate a draw. dj plays a cut, as does rahm. food for thought if you're working on drawing the ball.

are you working with an instructor, or just working on this by yourself? i think traditional logic says a bowed wrist would facilitate a cut, a cupped wrist would facilitate a draw. dj plays a cut, as does rahm. food for thought if you're working on drawing the ball.

That depends. Most amatuers with a bowed wrist will hit pull hooks because they can’t rotate the body like DJ.

Most amatuers wth a cupped wrist end up with an open face and a slice.

* Another way to look at it is to take a neutral grip and swing to the top. If you bow your wrist the face will shut and if you cup your wrist the face will open.

My swing looks like no pro. LOL. Seriously, though, during my ongoing lessons and swing overhaul, I spend a lot of time looking at Hideki Matsuyama. I doubt my swing ever looks like that, but some of the positions I see him get to are helping me with my changes.

I'm a bit flat at the top of my backswing like Fowler.

Based on build I had an instructor a couple years ago want me to mimick Francesco Molinaris swing.

I have no idea who I'm similar to, but I'm glad it's no longer Charles Barkley....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes, we are working swing path and position a lot. Cupping the wrist has not been an issue but now with the new positions I am in I am starting to cup the wrist. I am focusing on bowing it to counteract it. In the long run it may naturally fall back in between but we have discussed setting the angle at the top to help me close the face on the follow through.

My swing looks exactly like Rory's. Now, admittedly it was a little off during each of the THP events I've done, and all the rounds I've shared with you guys, and every video I've posted here, but trust me. Exact same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That depends. Most amatuers with a bowed wrist will hit pull hooks because they can’t rotate the body like DJ.

Most amatuers wth a cupped wrist end up with an open face and a slice.

* Another way to look at it is to take a neutral grip and swing to the top. If you bow your wrist the face will shut and if you cup your wrist the face will open.

I'm essentially trying to find the happy medium in the long run. As you pointed out, I am cupping now and leaving the face open. I'm not working on a extreme bow like DJ does but a more subtle one closer to neutral. Probably closer to Jon Rahm as he doesn't get as extreme as DJ from what I can see. Trying to get it just closed enough in relation to the swing path to get the draw from an inside out swing path without being a pull hook.

Charles Barkley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck, I personally would caution against it unless you are highly athletic and can rotate fast and get the hands way out. Honestly most likely it will lead to pull hooks from hell

I'm essentially trying to find the happy medium in the long run. As you pointed out, I am cupping now and leaving the face open. I'm not working on a extreme bow like DJ does but a more subtle one closer to neutral. Probably closer to Jon Rahm as he doesn't get as extreme as DJ from what I can see. Trying to get it just closed enough in relation to the swing path to get the draw from an inside out swing path without being a pull hook.

That makes more sense. ignore my earlier post if you are going after that feel but not exact DJ positions. He is a freak athlete.

Can't say that my swing has ever been compared to a pro's. Rightfully so, I'd say.

Did Paul Bunyan ever play golf?

I have a pretty goofy swing, I don't think it looks like anyone's.

It really sure what mine would be most comparable to.

Well, I'm short and kind of round, so I'll say Ian Woosnam.

I'm a JB Holmes kinda guy

I've borrowed a lot of my swing from Gary Player. The kick-in with the right knee to start my swing, the feeling of pulling the club straight down at the start of the down swing are cues I try to focus on when I practice. I figure if a guy built like him could keep up with the likes of Palmer and Nicklaus, then it's some stuff a five and a half foot tall guy like me should try to learn from it.

Geoff Ogilvy. I'm open at the top and handsy coming through the ball.

Who I think I look like in my mind? Because when I see video of my swing, it's nothing like I'm imagining. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I like to think I have the smooth tempo of say, Freddie Couples. But I doubt anything else about my swing looks anything like his.

~Rock

Back