TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

You have a big upwards aoa?
I launch my 14* D200 at about 9-10*. I need help to get the ball up and stay up due to severe delofting through the downswing.

I guess the general theme is everyone that likes this driver is longer. Sounds like a winner

With the difference in spin being about 250-400 rpm I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would play the weight forward.

I hit this last night. 12* up to 13.5 weights back and center, Fuji Pro 60 stiff. It was good, but I didn't have my gamer with me to compare directly.
It did appear quite closed at address (ugh) and kept going left on me so it kind of killed whatever desire I had for it. I'll try again in a more direct comparison one of these days.
I played it forward and in draw bias. It launched a few degrees higher for me with 2600 spin.

I tried the M1 430 9.5 with a fuji pro 60 shaft today. It was an interesting one for sure. It was about 10 yards longer than my current driver (G30) and the dispersion and forgiveness was quite impressive as well. The only thing I didnt like was the feel. It wasnt bad, but I like my G30 a little better in that department.
Is there a difference in feel between the 430 and 460 head?

I love the look at address and the fact that you can open the face using the adjustable hosel. Couldn't hit it due to injuries but will definitely be trying this one out on the course next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First full round with M1 and so far I'd say my swing agrees the club over my XR

27b307b47c47e80bcba584b7e79ff063.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the M1 430 9.5 with a fuji pro 60 shaft today. It was an interesting one for sure. It was about 10 yards longer than my current driver (G30) and the dispersion and forgiveness was quite impressive as well. The only thing I didnt like was the feel. It wasnt bad, but I like my G30 a little better in that department.
Is there a difference in feel between the 430 and 460 head?
Nope, just size (and thus the 430 being slightly more penal on mishits). Same spin profile.

She's a beauty. I'm very pro Callaway and just splurged on an 816 but if I can score some overtime I may just pick up one of these sweet babies. The most consistent driver I've ever owned was a Taylormade 580 XD with a Grafalloy Blue. Unfortunately when I came back to golf I picked up an R1 and it didn't perform for me.

After hitting the M1 after every drive with my gamer, this one fell short every time. I really like the looks and sound (with weight back) of this beast though. Keep em long and straight!

So TaylorMade is fairly committed to the difference from front to back being a whopping 300rpm of spin?

I can't imagine ever playing it anywhere but hammered back then. 300rpms will never be enough for me to throw away forgiveness (assuming there is some present).

So TaylorMade is fairly committed to the difference from front to back being a whopping 300rpm of spin?

I can't imagine ever playing it anywhere but hammered back then. 300rpms will never be enough for me to throw away forgiveness (assuming there is some present).
Plus or minus. JB saw 400 difference. The fitter I went to saw almost 500 from one fitting he did but he said that's the most he's seen by a good amount

I'd leave it in the back for sound alone.

I agree. Sound is so much better with it all the way back. 300 to 400 rpm just isn't going to do anything much to the ball flight to give up the MOI

I understand that... I've been leaning towards a less audible sound recently myself.

The feedback on this one has been great thus far. Should be fun to see who's gaming this for 2016.

I hit this again today. I'm lofting up with this from my R15, going with a 10.5º head. I'm finding it to be a good amount lower spinning than my R15, and launching a little closer to SLDR which was a also a little lower launch for me. I like the weight at the back as well.

I had a number of sub 2k spin shots with the M1, I was never that low with the R15(at least measured on a monitor). I'm not afraid at all of this ballooning on me.

I played 18 with the m1 today, swing wasn't all that consistent so I tested the forgiveness a bit. I hit one off the heel about 240 today that would have never happened with my R15' hit two high on the toe and got 234 and 238 out of them. Best shot today was 269 and it was a bit of a push fade, on one shot today I clipped some leaves in a tree and still got out there 260. This thing is performing much better for me than the R15. the front weight never seems to do much for me but the back weight on this really does appear to affect ball flight, up definitely launches lower for me.

finally got to put my M1 to the test Yesterday I hit it against my SLDR 460 10.5 with Tour Green 65X and BBA 815 10.5 with a Phenom Nasty Long 60x all testing done with range balls that are limited flight
Looks
All three look good in there own way The BBA is my favorite due to the solid dark colored crown with no distractions. However I do like the M1 for its alignment aid the notch really does its job much easier to align than the SLDR
Feel & Sound
The feel and sound the M1 was my favorite by a huge margin the M1 gives you feed back on poor shots but still does not have a ting sound like the SLDR and is not dull thud like the BBA it is somewhere in between I love how it feels off the face you can tell where your miss hits come from which was one of the Issues i had with the BBA (and R15). The face feels solid when struck like the SLDR not to soft like the BBA
Preformance
The M1 combines the forgiveness of the BBA and the performance of the SLDR on center struck shots I was 10 yards longer than the SLDR and 15+ yards longer than the BBA on Miss hit the diffrance betwen the SLDR and the M1 was 15-20 yards but similar on the BBA. the 9.5 I have launched as high as the 10.5 SLDR and lower then the BBA 10.5(set at 9.5) one my first hit I hit it on the toe and slightly high and it still went straight and traveled 240 if i hit the same shot with the SLDR it would have been of to the right and 220 or so

Conclusion
Looks like TM has a real winner on there hands it is long and forgiving i am very impressed after one range session can't wait to get it on the course and see how it preforms

I called into a local golf shop today not expecting to see the new Callaway GBB or MD3 wedges or the TM M1 but he had all 3 so i had to have a look. I didnt have any shoes with me as i was wearing Jandels(flipflops for you guys), but i had to have a hit any way. The M1 looks awesome in person with the carbon and white crown.
So i had a couple of hits with it and it sounded nice and they both looked straight in the small range he has in the shop, i think i need to try it on the monitor, but for OVER $800+ for a driver it is WAY out of my reach and wont be getting closer any time soon.

The first driver I ever owned was the Ti Burner Bubble when I was in high school. After that I didn't own another TM driver until the R1. Like you it just didn't perform for me. Tried the SLDR and it was even worse. The hype behind this one seemed like just another TM launch but after demoing it for 18 holes and seeing the results for myself I was instantly sold on this.

It's not going to work for everyone, as some have already seen, and that's fine. Thankfully, though, Taylormade has a solid offering once again in the driver category and I think this will be HUGE for them as they try to rebound as a company.

I really believed in the bubble shaft back in the day. I loved the higher swingweights they provided. The Burner II driver and three wood were my workhorses for quite some time. When the 300 series came out the 320 and 360 were in my mind game changers. If Alez is hitting the M1 better than I saw him hit his XR then this is definitely on my to do list.

Back