Proper golf attire

JMay14

Reaction score
Handicap
Do people believe and observe a proper golf attire when playing? Over the last few years I have played, I have seen people in wife beaters, jean shorts, cut over shirts, comp shorts, t-shirts on the golf course. My father always taught me that you should wear a collared shirt and either slack or dress shorts. Never jeans and never t-shirts. What is everyone else's thought on this matter?

I dress like a pro...whether I play like one, that's a different story.

I think more serious players still believe in the attire that your father recommends, but more casual players don't follow it all that much. It also depends on the type of course that you're playing, in my experience. I usually play one of 3 different municipal courses around here in Boston. Earlier this week, I played one of those courses that is 9 holes, and one of the guys that I got paired up with was an older guy that was wearing sweatpants the entire time, and I had to look at the top of his butt crack for all 9 holes. But he was a nice guy, kept up fairly well with pace of play, and shook my hand at the end of the round. That meant more to me than his appearance.

Proper attire should always be worn in season IMHO. I look at it as a uniform of sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow the course's dress code. Hit em straight and have fun. If that means jorts and a beater, more power to you

if you're playing a goat track and want to blend in with the locals jorts and a wife beater are the order of the day.

Jeans are really the only thing that bother me but I think a wife beater would be worse. Honestly at this point, if you aren't at a fancy place, holding me up and are enjoying your day so be it.

Follow course rules.
The better the course, generally the better the attire I'd say

Follow course rules.

This. Whatever the course requires. I prefer a collared shirt. I don't typically wear slacks, mostly because it's too hot and sticky during the summer here. Most courses I've played at have a "no jeans" policy at least during the high season.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Follow the course's dress code. Hit em straight and have fun. If that means jorts and a beater, more power to you

Follow course rules.

As long as the course allows it, wear whatever you want. I like to dress the part regardless of the course.

I play in what I'm comfy in and depending on the conditions etc. If I'm playing a sunday evening round with a friend then its cargo shorts and a nice tee shirt. If it's a comp then I dress in collared shirt etc etc.

I always wear proper attire and as lomg as people stay within course rules I don't care what they wear

I only play at the nice courses.
899fd2b55ad96f058dff4b3371f88d55.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I buy clothes just for golf , so I might as well use em' .

I'm also in the group of wear what you want as long as the course approves.

Man, I was going to wear that exact outfit on Sunday when I play. I won't now.

I generally wear a polo/collared shirt and cargo shorts. I don't have golf specific shorts, so I make due with what I have. They are nice ones though. Not denim material and all torn up and trashed.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

My home course (private) has a dress code (e.g., collared shirts, tucked in, no jeans, etc.) but it's basically no different than what I would've worn anywhere else.

I agree with the sentiment "Nicer course, nicer attire". And I support wearing whatever you want, as long as the course is ok with it.

My home course has a dress code which is pretty strict - not anything other than I would expect heading to a nicer course. But some of my friends don't like having to tuck in their shirts or wear hats forward. Which is fine. We play other courses around town, they wear whatever they want, but at my club, I like the dress code and I mention it to my friends when they play.

I show up at the club house in proper golf attire. To be totally honest, if I'm on the course alone and the weather's decent, there's a decent chance I don't bother to keep my shirt on. It's hot in Arizona.

Well, at least they didn't drive the cart onto the green... :p

I always wear a collared shirt and golf shorts. Unless it's wet or colder weather, when I'll wear my Storm Fit.

My father always taught me "clothes don't make the man". I would rather play with someone that is kind, repairs ball marks on the green, shakes my hand ect ect.. I never even pay attention to what others wear.

I always wear either golf shorts or pants and a proper golf shirt. The couple of courses I play most frequently are budget joints, and I may or may not tuck my shirt in. When I play anywhere nicer I make sure to tuck it in. I'm a sucker for Oakley stuff...so essentially everything I wear is from them (hat, shirt, belt, pants/shorts, and shoes).

That being said, I hate the idea of dress codes. As long as a person's naughty bits are covered, what they wear isn't going to have any effect on my enjoyment of my round (or my dinner, or day at work, or whatever the case may be).

you should wear a collared shirt and either slack or dress shorts. Never jeans and never t-shirts.

so much this. I suppose an exception can be made for mock turtlenecks, though I'm not a big fan just from a style perspective. I don't care if it's a beat up goat ranch or an exclusive private club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf appropriate attire always. I am not overly fancy, Sonoma County is pretty laid back but I like to honor the game. I don't care too much what others are wearing unless I brought them. ;)

I dont really worry what others are wearing, but myself i like to wear a collared golf shirt and golf shorts. At least if my game is flash ill look good haha.

Back