NBC/Golf Channel to Begin Broadcasting British Open in 2016

jlukes

Reaction score
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/nbc...017?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

NBC/Golf Channel has reached a deal to start its Open coverage in 2016 at Royal Troon, according to Sports Business Journal. Originally, NBC, which signed a 10-year deal with the R&A for $500 million, wasn't to broadcast the event until 2017.
What changed? Well, longtime Open television partner BBC sold the rights to its final year of coverage to Sky Sports, which was also to take over in 2017 at first. That move prompted ESPN to allow NBC to buy out the final year of its contract to maintain consistency in how the event will be broadcasted going forward.

Boooo. Love the ESPN broadcasts.

I posted this a while back when it was first announced.

I'm really disappointed. NBC has a knack for ruining golf coverage, and I have really enjoyed ESPN's coverage of the Open Championship.

I'm totally expecting little golf coverage and several fluff pieces away from the course. That's the NBC method.

I'm really disappointed. NBC has a knack for ruining golf coverage, and I have really enjoyed ESPN's coverage of the Open Championship.

I'm totally expecting little golf coverage and several fluff pieces away from the course. That's the NBC method.

Yup. When you posted it, it wasn't supposed to start until 2017, but they bought ESPN out of the final year and now will start in 2016

Sucks. NBC is the worst of the major options.

Ugh. This means Johnny Miller. This means im going to hate it

Awesome news....not. Oh well not much we can do about it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ESPN provided extensive coverage of the Open Championship. Hopefully NBC will step up and give the same quality coverage or better.

Yup. When you posted it, it wasn't supposed to start until 2017, but they bought ESPN out of the final year and now will start in 2016

Ugh. Thanks for nothing, ESPN.

Not looking forward to the 2016 coverage now. I thought ESPN did well with their coverage. Sorry to see them give up the last year.

Growing up I never really got why my Dad used to mute the TV when Tim McCarver was announcing games. I have come to understand that with Johnny Miller. I liked the ESPN coverage of the British Open, so definitely disappointed to see it come to an end.

Well that's disappointing news. Really enjoyed ESPN's coverage. Barely made it through President's Cup listening to Miller. Even my teenage daughter got tired of him - at one point she said "Why's that guy so negative?"

Well that's disappointing news. Really enjoyed ESPN's coverage. Barely made it through President's Cup listening to Miller. Even my teenage daughter got tired of him - at one point she said "Why's that guy so negative?"

My daughter said almost that exact same thing. He makes it so hard to enjoy watching golf.

NBC's coverage has deteriorated on the last couple years. Miller doesn't bother me; it's the incessant commercials and lack of covering a lot of players. They typically stick with a couple groups only. Espn does a good job and fox did well too, they just need to get Holly off the team.

so they just bought out the last year of coverage right? I mean they already won the rights starting in 2017.

You forgot to preface your post with 7 minutes of fluff piece on a caddie, 32 minutes of Tiger coverage discussing his troubles and how he needs to really start playing well if he wants to make the weekend, 9 minutes of player interviews about how the practice round went yesterday, one live golf shot, and 6 minutes of commercials.

You forgot to preface your post with 7 minutes of fluff piece on a caddie, 32 minutes of Tiger coverage discussing his troubles and how he needs to really start playing well if he wants to make the weekend, 9 minutes of player interviews about how the practice round went yesterday, one live golf shot, and 6 minutes of commercials.

With so much material for fluff pieces (home of golf, R&A, etc.), we'll be lucky to 10 minutes of golf every hour. And even then, it will all be from the same four groups and more than 50% of the shots will be tape delayed.

Back