Should I look into new technology?

nwgolfr

Reaction score
Handicap
So I've been dabbling with the idea of replacing my current driver. Been using Cleveland Launcher, 400cc, for 10 years, and I don't really have any issues with it.

BUT, I'm curious if I'm missing out on some length or forgivability that these new models seem to offer?

It's also a 55g regular flex shaft, and I carry about 240. My swingspeed is near 97-102.

Anybody wanna chip in? I would love a shiny new driver in my kit, but if it's not going to help in any way...well. I'll obviously get fitted, and try different models out, but just wanted to get some advice before I get hammered with sales pitches at the store.

What new drivers have you hit?

What new drivers have you hit?

My question is really whether or not I'm sacrificing distance, and/or a more forgiving misshit - by using my current driver? If not, then I won't really bother looking for a new one.

But to answer, I haven't gone in and tried any out yet.

My opinion, if you're hitting the center every swing, you're not going to see much of an increase. But if you do miss, there will probably be something gained

My opinion, if you're hitting the center every swing, you're not going to see much of an increase. But if you do miss, there will probably be something gained

Thanks for the input. My miss is always, always a 20-30 yard fade when I'm not supposed to, happens maybe twice a round. I'm not spraying balls left and right, pretty close to center most of the time.

The newer drivers do have a slightly larger sweet spot compared to 10 years ago but for me the bigger gains have been in shaft technology. Getting fit into the right loft and shaft can really make a difference especially for those who have never been through a proper fitting.

My thoughts; New technology is GREAT. One of the best players I know plays with a bag full of the very latest clubs. Also, one of the best players I know plays with not a single club newer than 10 years at least, maybe more.

Go with today's technology if possible, plus, new is FUN!

My thoughts; New technology is GREAT. One of the best players I know plays with a bag full of the very latest clubs. Also, one of the best players I know plays with not a single club newer than 10 years at least, maybe more.

Go with today's technology if possible, plus, new is FUN!

Haha, love the enthusiasm - I agree, and would be stoked if I could fill my bag with a whole new set of clubs! Those Apex's are so nice, it's ridiculous. But I've been really happy with my Mizuno MX-20's too.

Seems like some irons are timeless, while woods have come much further - but maybe i'm wrong :bulgy-eyes:

Yes you should at least look into it. Try some of the big brand drivers! It would surprise me if your current gamer can hold up to 10 year newer technology. Easier to hit, easier to launch, easier on mishits, larger sweet spot.

If you'd believe all the ******** commercials you should gain at least 150 yards by now :D

Yes you should at least look into it. Try some of the big brand drivers! It would surprise me if your current gamer can hold up to 10 year newer technology. Easier to hit, easier to launch, easier on mishits, larger sweet spot.

If you'd believe all the ******** commercials you should gain at least 150 yards by now :D

See, now I have really high expectations...:banghead: lol, not really

Last edited:
I do see the larger sweet spots being a definite yes for my game, anybody else have input? Ill probably go in tomorrow to get fitted.

I do struggle with distance, or at least I feel like it. With a 98-103 swing speed, shouldn't I carry more than 240? Is that more based on shaft, launch angle, driver degree, or a combination? My current driver is a 10.5 degree

I can't speak for new drivers, mine is at least 13 years old. However, having returned to golf after a hiatus of more than a decade, frustration with my iron play led to me purchasing a new set of irons. It's crazy, but at 58 I'm now as long or longer than I was at 47 with the irons.

That alone has me convinced that I need to get a driver, fw, and possibly a hybrid fitting (never touched one) to see what technology can do for me.

Find a shop, like Golf Galaxy, Dick's, etc., that have demo drivers. Take your driver in and explain what you're thinking about, newer technology than your current driver. Loosen up and make some swings with your driver, then see what the person thinks of your swing and what he thinks you need by looking at your results; i.e. launch angle, club head speed, spin, carry, total distance. With low, medium and high kick point shafts in weights from 50 grams to 80 grams, you need to try out different shafts, and the various lofted driver heads too. Don't be in a hurry to buy something, test different drivers and shafts. Remember, a bad swing will get you no more distance than you hit your driver, but a good swing my produce longer carry, or less spin with more roll out, with the new technology. Is it worth $400.00? Test, test and test then make a decision. Good luck on your quest. :drinks:

I just went from a Titleist 912 D2 9.5 deg 50 gram regular Basarra shaft I bought 10 months ago to a TaylorMade R15 9.5 deg 57 gram Speeder shaft. With the weights as far away from each other I am getting dead straight and higher launch than the Titleist and love the feedback at impact.

10 years of driver technology is a LONG time. Let's put it this way, I just tested a 2015/2016 Callaway vs. my 2012 Callaway driver and there was a 20-25 yard difference on good swings.

Yes take a look at it, but it doesn't mean you have to buy it. Your current driver might fit you better but at least give it a shot.

You may not be missing out on distance tech as much as you are sacrificing forgiveness for sure. I am in the same area of SS as you and I have been fitted into stiff shafts as far as driver goes, and I do get about the same carry as you, maybe a little more. The newer drivers are so far ahead in terms of forgiveness than the older models it isn't funny. Played the 910 D2 for a long time and am now playing the 915 D3 and I am finding it to be easier to control than the older D2. I would look at the G30 line though. Buddy of mine went from the i15 driver to the G30 LST and has gained massive yardage and control, even has me thinking of trying it out.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm gonna head in today and start trying out some new ones

Back