Mickelson/Johnson Handshake

I think they were just trying to be funny. Kinda like kuch and woods.
f6fdb4c38081dbf6973dcb14a1250102.jpg

Its the same thing the ladies were doing during the solheim cup. It was supposed to be short, simple and classy as they described it. Nothing wild

Actually, I think it was Zach's idea. The first time they went to congratulate each other Phil went for the fist bump and Zach extended his hand.

Den60 nailed it.

I get they wanted to do something different than knuckle bumps. This was their attempt at being funny. My vote goes to "silly". It's just silly to shake your partners hand after almost every shot. Not trying to be a curmudgeon but the displays of encouragement were over the top. It seems to be an American thing. As Jack said; "it's an exhibition, not a war." Players should have fun, try to win, support your partner, be a good teammate and congratulate any player who hits a nice shot with a positive affirmation, nod or smile.

In the spirit of full disclosure; players jumping around and screaming after every football tackle or basketball dunk doesn't appeal to me either. Hope this doesn't come off as a rant. It's just an opinion.

I liked it. Thought it was fun.

Den60 nailed it.

I get they wanted to do something different than knuckle bumps. This was their attempt at being funny. My vote goes to "silly". It's just silly to shake your partners hand after almost every shot. Not trying to be a curmudgeon but the displays of encouragement were over the top. It seems to be an American thing. As Jack said; "it's an exhibition, not a war." Players should have fun, try to win, support your partner, be a good teammate and congratulate any player who hits a nice shot with a positive affirmation, nod or smile.

In the spirit of full disclosure; players jumping around and screaming after every football tackle or basketball dunk doesn't appeal to me either. Hope this doesn't come off as a rant. It's just an opinion.
So what works for you. What should players do to clebrate with their team mates. What would be exceptable to you? Pat on the fanny. Shake each others ankles? Need for speed high give, top gun reference. Mile high solute.

So what works for you. What should players do to clebrate with their team mates. What would be exceptable to you? Pat on the fanny. Shake each others ankles? Need for speed high give, top gun reference. Mile high solute.

Completely agree that my comments sound like the old guy who yells at kids to get off the lawn. Also acknowledge this opinion is in the minority.

Zach and Phil should do this (see attachment) after every shot. I'm kidding....

Like I said, I enjoyed the handshake. If they really wanted to get after it they should have done the flying hip bump. It takes a special moment, but every now and again my friends and I will go full flying hip bump and it truly can be a sight to behold. Heck, mix in an air guitar and you've got my "go to" moves.

It's all good. Whatever gets them laughing and keeps them going. lol

Loved it. They would sometimes almost forget and then at the last second remember and do the handshake. I enjoyed it.

Den60 nailed it.

I completely respect where you're coming from on the dunk or tackle thing -- And I think this 'scripted' celebration was a bit over the top for me, but I still want them to be passionate when they hit a great shot (or their partner for that matter). The one thing I think the US team often seems to be said to lack is the passion for the victory in these events. I'd love to see them dial it up but also show their respect for the other side when great shots are achieved.

I think it's good for the game for passion to reign supreme.

Seemed like a team sprit kind of thing ... good for them.

Their primary job is golf ... but their secondary job is sales and marketing.

A full 90 seconds after every shot.

Is it possible to think it was awkward and dumb, but like it all the same? Because I'm pretty that's how I feel about it in retrospect.

This was supposed to be funny/for fun and was 100% awesome.

Just look at mickelson's short game, that hadshake was definltely a joke

Just look at mickelson's short game, that hadshake was definltely a joke
Sorry, should have been more specific. He's a master of the short game, and as I see it, that handshake was a positive gesture from zach.

Back