"Tour van" clubs: pricing/difference vs. off the shelf?

ironcondor

Chronic gear flipper
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.5
There's a club for sale in the marketplace that is generating some buzz. The driver is from a "tour van" and is priced - at least to me - rather high? I legitimately want to know - why would the price be so much different (ie. higher) simply because it came from a tour van? Are there tighter tolerances? Inquiring minds want to know.

If it's legit it's not out of line of others being sold else where. I just read something about why the M1 was more expensive and it had to do with the cor being different than the retail drivers. Here are some other legit tour issued M1s for sale. http://www.2ndswing.com/taylormade/drivers/m1/.panel-five/

There's a club for sale in the marketplace that is generating some buzz. The driver is from a "tour van" and is priced - at least to me - rather high? I legitimately want to know - why would the price be so much different (ie. higher) simply because it came from a tour van? Are there tighter tolerances? Inquiring minds want to know.
I wonder how to validate such a thing. There are other forums where tour stuff shows up more often but I would consider most of us not well versed in this arena.

COR being different (better) is a bit concerning. Are we talking a noticeable amount or a minute amount that only matters on the internet?

I'm a lost puppy when it comes to this so maybe some more knowledgeable people will chip in.

COR being different (better) is a bit concerning. Are we talking a noticeable amount or a minute amount that only matters on the internet?

The difference being Tour Van heads are generally tested individually where as clubs purchased at retail aren't necessarily tested.

Is there any kind of special markings on tour issued clubs so a consumer can have confidence with their purchase?

I have a few Tour Issue clubs. A set of Titleist 914MBs, Adams CB/MB mixed irons and a TM Superfast TP that was a tour players backup driver.
The only differences are the tolerances for headweights and the maximum SF with the driver heads are spot on 1.50 with some even exceeding that slightly.

Is there any kind of special markings on tour issued clubs so a consumer can have confidence with their purchase?

Some manufacturers use special serial numbers for Tour Van product. Otherwise you are kind of trusting the seller which is why I always avoid them unless you buy direct from places like the TaylorMade Vault and the Cobra Venom Vault.

The serial # will usually have the markings depending on the manufacturer. TM will usually have an uppercase T beside the club # ie T3 for a 3w or T5 for 5W. Some others will have xxxxTxxxx or something along those lines.

Iirc, Taylormade serial numbers of tour van heads start with T then have numbers after. Most will come with stickers of exact specs like loft and face angle. Other than that, it's all trust in the seller, which can be risky. Typically they are also a little different shape and characteristics from retail models (V2 and V3). Think of it similar to the Titleist 915 D4.

The bigger questions is are they worth it?

My answer is no.

My answer is no.

I guess it depends who you're talking to. Some people need tight tolerances... They are about 0.2% of the golf marketplace, but they are there nonetheless.

My answer is no.
My opinion as well. Will we notice a difference, probably not. Plus, with so many good options our there from all OEMs, you can't tell me there isn't a similar fit at half (or more) of the price.

And people complain about a $500 driver.

I guess it depends who you're talking to. Some people need tight tolerances... They are about 0.2% of the golf marketplace, but they are there nonetheless.

I think those with a genuine need for it can get it direct from the manufacturer. But, you are correct there is a market.

I would never pay more than $400 for a single club.

I think those with a genuine need for it can get it direct from the manufacturer. But, you are correct there is a market.

I need a 6.7 degree driver that is 1.3 degrees open and CPMed at blahblah. #GoodLuck

My answer is no.

Correct! When you look at clubs on eBay, the auctions with the words "tour" "tour van" "made for the tour" "tour only" "prototype" "tour issue" etc. seem to be endless at times. Bottom line is very very few "tour" players sell clubs given to them. A few might give them to someone who then in turn sells them, but these words are the most abused words in golf when it comes to clubs.

Why spend up to 3 times more for a club, if it is a TRUE club made for a tour player, when the club was made for that person?

Correct! When you look at clubs on eBay, the auctions with the words "tour" "tour van" "made for the tour" "tour only" "prototype" "tour issue" etc. seem to be endless at times. Bottom line is very very few "tour" players sell clubs given to them. A few might give them to someone who then in turn sells them, but these words are the most abused words in golf when it comes to clubs.

Why spend up to 3 times more for a club, if it is a TRUE club made for a tour player, when the club was made for that person?
You are correct that it's unlikely the tour player is selling it. However more than just a few give their unused clubs to their caddies or other friends to do with whatever they see fit. And tour players go throgh a lot of clubs. Not necessairly changing but it's not uncommon at all for the OEM Tour rep to bring out a few clubs early in the week and tell the player to try it out. Most times these see 1 practice round or some time on the range then find a new home.

But I agree i wouldn't pay the prices being asked for them.

Sometimes, retail options just don't allow golfers to play certain clubs due to head weight, lie angle or face angle. Some people need an open face or heavier head or flatter lie with a wood. Off the rack clubs can't be manipulated like tour issue clubs can. For the example, TM has some clubs with longer hosels, usually woods, for the ability to adjust lie angle. Also as many people here can agree, the XR fairways were very light (designed that way on purpose) and a lot of people wished that could add weight to the head to raised club head total weight to their preferred amount but were unable to due to no port hole to allow access. The tour issue ones have a hot melt hole, retail don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so... how does say, a 30 handicap acquire a "tour van" club pre release? I could see maybe a mini tour player, or someone with a high enough caliber of a game have access to a tour van, but how would a random joe?

I already know I'll probably get the obvious answer suggestion "money," but how do people have access tour van's and purchasing tour van items?

OK, so... how does say, a 30 handicap acquire a "tour van" club pre release? I could see maybe a mini tour player, or someone with a high enough caliber of a game have access to a tour van, but how would a random joe?

I already know I'll probably get the obvious answer suggestion "money," but how do people have access tour van's and purchasing tour van items?

As with most things in this world, its all about WHO you know. Some people have connections and hook ups.

As with most things in this world, its all about WHO you know. Some people have connections and hook ups.

Ahh, Excellent point I didn't highlight above!

Side note: Wouldn't that be kind of a poor move to get a hook up, then turn around and try and make money off of it?

The difference being Tour Van heads are generally tested individually where as clubs purchased at retail aren't necessarily tested.
This is what callaway told me on my driver head. It was stamped different than my step dad's. He said the stamping meant tour issue and that it had just had more testing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back