Bethpage State Park-The Black Course

Just got a chance to read all this on actual computer. Hope your trip back to SC went better than mine. I got stuck outside of DC, took us 2 hours to go 20 miles. I left at 630, was in DC around 10-1030. We did not get out of Virginia until 3 pm, insane, 16 hour trip.

Good stuff and I appreciate you having me, it was worth the suffering and almost falling asleep at the wheel. I think one thing the pictures don't show is how ridiculous the the elevation changes are. Most of the greens are perched quite high and are all carry and there is a lot of carry everywhere, I definitely needed an extra 5-10 yards on my driver that day.

Went today and took a panograph photo of the main club entrance to where you can sign up and check in for the courses.

NCM_20130818_171857_zpsdf4f6916.jpg

I decided to go out and play today. Got up at 4 am and made the treck out. Got there about 5:15. Waited for my ticket, got on line to pay, only to find out that the black was closed! I'm so @$/(?$ pissed right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome review of Bethpage Black. Just reading the write up sent me on a time travel back to when u played the Black course back in 2009...a mere 5 days after the US Open was played. Same tee placements as the final round and same cut of rough. I was fortunate to get on after oversleeping...snagged the last walk on spot of the day.

I ended up posting a score of 86 playing from the tournament tees. By far one if the most memorable rounds I had the opportunity to play.

sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

I am planning to drive up to NY from DC this weekend for the chance to play Bethpage Black and I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has any advice as far as getting on. As of right now we are planning to leave here around noon, which should put us there sometime in the early evening. Will that be too late to make one of the waiting list slots? Also, once we do get there, what are the options for keeping us entertained/fed? Can we order pizza to the lot and make trips back and forth to the clubhouse? Neither of us have done it so any tips are welcome. It seems there is lots online about taking your lumps on the course and playing smart, but I cant seem to find anything about making the trip. I also went through some of the other threads and they were more about the actual course than the logistics, (rightfully so!)

Thanks!

I am planning to drive up to NY from DC this weekend for the chance to play Bethpage Black and I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has any advice as far as getting on. As of right now we are planning to leave here around noon, which should put us there sometime in the early evening. Will that be too late to make one of the waiting list slots? Also, once we do get there, what are the options for keeping us entertained/fed? Can we order pizza to the lot and make trips back and forth to the clubhouse? Neither of us have done it so any tips are welcome. It seems there is lots online about taking your lumps on the course and playing smart, but I cant seem to find anything about making the trip. I also went through some of the other threads and they were more about the actual course than the logistics, (rightfully so!)

Thanks!

Most likely the spots will be sold out for Black. Usually you need to arrive at 4am, wait for the attendant to arrive to pass out tickets, then make your way inside to try for one of the available spots.

Other option is if you know anyone from NY willing to book a round and play with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely the spots will be sold out for Black. Usually you need to arrive at 4am, wait for the attendant to arrive to pass out tickets, then make your way inside to try for one of the available spots.

Other option is if you know anyone from NY willing to book a round and play with you.

We'll definitely be there by 4am. We're planning to leave Friday at noon to play Saturday. Also, we're just a twosome, does that help?

Ahhh...that makes more sense. I had to re-read your original post and wasn't sure if you planned on sitting in the parking lot overnight. The way I did it both times I played is arrived at 4am (1st time) and even later on the 2nd (Overslept). The first time I got the last available spot on Black, which I didn't end up teeing off until 2:15pm. Luckily I was able to go back to my hotel and sleep. The second time there were more tee times available, due to the rain that was expected that day. It rained the whole round, but I still enjoyed it.

Not sure about what the surrounding area offers for entertainment or food options.

We'll definitely be there by 4am. We're planning to leave Friday at noon to play Saturday. Also, we're just a twosome, does that help?

From what I understand weekends are busier but apparently the fall is actually a slower time. If you get there the day before, ie before most people can get out of work and get there, I think you should be just fine...especially with two. I have been dying to get back out on that course myself. The area is pretty empty in terms of activities but I did not explore much. By the time you get your ticket and check in you will have roughly two hours before your tee time unless you are in the way back, could be more with frost or something like that. I am sure there is a diner or something relatively close, we just hit up the Dunkin Donuts and went back to the club house.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445079041.841823.jpg early bird got the tee time

I'm thinkin back but it's a little windy

I cannot believe this thread popped up this morning, I actually had a dream last night about playing there. It's been a long tie since I played there and really do miss that place.

I'll bet that place is amazing today. Excellent weather in the forecast and the leaves are probably starting to change

Decided on back, +4 thru 5. No place to hit it in the fairways here

I'll bet that place is amazing today. Excellent weather in the forecast and the leaves are probably starting to change
Ddec was mentioning today that he called yesterday for a tee time tomorrow, and was able to get one, but the recording mentioned that the greens are punched and there are two temporary greens, so he cancelled it.

Ddec was mentioning today that he called yesterday for a tee time tomorrow, and was able to get one, but the recording mentioned that the greens are punched and there are two temporary greens, so he cancelled it.

After getting so luck the first time with the course there no way I could play the course with punched greens

I really need to play there next year with you guys.

Hey dean and Pete...how far is this from where i was in Edison for work in april?

Probably an hour. Very doable
Oh dang thats child's play. Im coming out early this time since month ends on weekend too

I'd love to play this course sometime in my life!

I played there in 2006ish. I was a 14 index or at least close. Course kicked my butt. Shot a 108. Would love to play it again now that I'm a better golfer.

Back