Thread: Conceptual Fairway Shaft Selection Question re: Synergy Blue

Junior Golfer
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Conceptual Fairway Shaft Selection Question re: Synergy Blue

I know that so many of these threads become "what shaft should I get" and I don't want this to be a "Get Fit" posting. I do that too often actually.

Ive become a total Ho on this site and love it. And because of it I've bought my own equipment and now work on my own clubs. As a result I sometimes just want to tinker and experiment even if it means selling at a loss (I consider that my rental fee).

So to my point. I've never been a great fairway player as my swing speed isn't outstanding (95 or so driver). I don't launch fairways well. So what happens is fitters put me in tip soft fairways to get the ball in the air. The problem is that I end up going left with them very consistently. Now, I understand that some of this is swing flaw and I'm not objecting to it, but my miss with every other club in my bag right now is to miss right, because I've made a swing change and it's weakened my grip substantially (still a bigtime work in process but slowly improving). My tempo is very smooth, slow takeaway, I don't load the shaft aggressively, in fact I play my driver at D8 and irons at D3/4 just to help with loading (and I like the feel of heavy). I had the EvenFlow in my driver and I wasn't in love with it's loading - feels pretty dead to me, which was a bummer.

I play PX LZ iron shafts now and they are really fantastic for me. I play a Tensei V2 Orange (the rare one) off the tee and again, no issues left. Of course both have firmer tips and get kick elsewhere in the shaft. But I am still lost with the fairways. I bought the Rogue 4W and HW, (Callaway recommended Synergy Blue 60 regular) because I saw the success everyone is having. And when I time one out right, they go like crazy. I don't want to get rid of the heads. But they go left on me way too much. That synergy blue just kicks like hell and I can't keep it from going left. To the point that they are out of the bag for now. (I'm editing here to say Im playing the club at D4 - as the first replies said maybe I need the shaft to be heavier)

So after all this longwindedness my question. Can you recommend a more appropriate profile than just "soft tip" for a fairway shaft that might not have a tip kicking like crazy but doesn't play stout, because I can't launch anything stout. I dont need a specific shaft recommendation (though I'd love them if you have one), but more a profile thought. I keep looking at the Proforce V2HL but enough reviews have said stout to give me real pause. It's like I need a soft profile but firmer tip I guess, but still something that helps promote launch in a fairway.

Any thoughts really really appreciated.
    Last edited by Thornton Melon; 04-20-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Golfing for fun!
    Handicap
    Short game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,561 Posts
    Would something like the HZRDUS Yellow be something along these lines? I found it very heavy to load in a Rogue SZ 3wood and required a lot of work. You could also try finding a heavier weight for the heads to see if that helps (bring up SW).
    GBB Epic Sub Zero 9 ​Graphite Design AD-DI 6
    Rogue Sub Zero 3W (15) Project X Even Flow Blue
    BBA 815 3H (19) Fujikura Speeder 865
    Apex 4-AW ​KBS C-Taper
    Mack Daddy 4 Custom 54 & MD3 Milled 58 True Temper DGTI Onyx Wedge
    O-Works #7s Black
    Chrome Soft X

Proud #DreamTeam #TheGrandaddy alum thanks to & !

Current #BagBattle: WD Protype iX #9HT vs O-Works #7s Black

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,850 Posts
    Any chance you need the weight to help keep your swing on plane? If so then Id go with a 75g shaft or 85g shaft in stiff flex. You might hit down at first but youll get used to it a start launching straight in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honored to be selected to participate in the 2018 Handcrafted Experience with Project X/THP

Proud Supporter & Captain of Team So. Cal. in the 2017 THP Regional Rivalry - So. Cal vs Nor. Cal.

Participant 2016
    Championship - TPC Las Vegas!
    Proud Winner of the custom testor shaft used for 2017 THCE w/ Project X

Club Pro
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I’m in the same swing speed range and have a similar miss - high right and spinny. Club Champion fit me in a 75g driver shaft. The FW shaft was a Paderson fairway specific shaft (43” uncut) and it worked well.

Couple yrs later a Cool Clubs fitting put me in a Graphite Design AD-MJ 7 x-flex for the 3 wood. I was shocked and asked the fitter to confirm. Fitter said the shaft has the soft tip to get the launch but the x-flex will help with my spinny miss to the right.

You may want to get a fitting done. Some of us have swings that are not easy to fit, let the pros take care of it.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53,739 Posts
    Sounds like signing up for Shaft Up #2 when it opens up next week would be perfect.
    In my 2015 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

Driver:
    Rogue w/ Elements Gold Shaft 45"
    Driver 2:
    Launcher HB w/Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43"
    Fairway Wood:
    Exotics EX10 Beta
    Hybrids:
    Rogue 3
    Irons:
    Honma TW737P 5-PW with Recoil Proto 95
    Wedges:
    CBX 50* & RTX-3 54*
    Putter:
    #7S
    Balls:
    2018 Chrome Soft

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB For This Useful Post:

Golfever (04-22-2018), tpluff (04-20-2018)

Junior Golfer
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I will, even if I like my odds of Powerball better!!!

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,666 Posts
    Tensei Blue, NV Blue, Aldila Tour Blue all might be shafts to check out. Probably stay away from some counter balanced like HZRDUS Yellow Pro Orange type stuff.
    #INTHENATIVEAREA #PAJAMAGRAM #AWAYCAP 4.8 #DILLYDILLY
    GBB Epic 10.5 Synergy Blue 60X
    Aeroburner 3W 15*
    Tight lies 16* Fubuki 3w x
    SLDR 3H
    Pro 23* 4H
    A12 OS 6h (riding the pine for now.)
    Maltby PTM Forged 6-PW FST 125X
    Maltby M-Series + 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
    Matlby Pure Track PT Putter w/ Fatso 5.0
    Z-Star XV

Mini Tour Player Ryan Loves Golf's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    It sounds like your miss is a pull left or pull hook left, I had that issue before, and for me going a little heavier in weight class and Fuji Pro XLR8 worked well.
    I believe the shaft kicked more in the mid-section than the tip.
    I think the new Pro 2.0 is their replacement as well.
    WITB
    Driver: G400 Max 9 degree, Kuro Kage XT 60 Stiff
    3wood: Rogue 13.5, Synergy 60 Stiff
    5wood: F6 Baffler, HZRDUS 6.0
    Hybrid: RomaRo Ray Type R 21 degree, Veylix Rome 988 Stiff
    Irons: Mizuno MP18 Fli-Fhi 5i, MP18 SC 6i-8i, MP18 9i-Pw, MRC OTi Tour 100 Stiff
    Wedges: :Edel 60, 55, 50 UST High Spin Proto
    Putter: Edel E-1 Torque Balanced, custom fit