Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried with a tee and without. Alignment/aim isn't the issue; making good contact is.
What works for me is I use a tee to give myself a "perfect lie" (sitting up on top of the grass, maybe just a touch higher), then ignore the tee and treat it like the ball is sitting on the ground. I had that same problem with a teed up ball--I'd second-guess and try to compensate for the ball sitting higher, which ended badly, or I'd be trying to find some not-ripped-up spot to set the ball on the ground and risked hitting it badly anyway.

Probably over thinking it at this point. Happens to me a fair bit. Do you find yourself standing over those tee shots for longer than usual? Make a conscious effort to shorten that up if you are.

Remember, breaking 100 is easy. :alien:

Standing over the shot too long was a problem of mine. My scores got better when I vowed to get lined up and hit it. I look down at the ball to check alignment, and then I look downrange. When I look back at the ball the swing starts ... and that has helped a lot. Just swing it!

Standing over the shot too long was a problem of mine. My scores got better when I vowed to get lined up and hit it. I look down at the ball to check alignment, and then I look downrange. When I look back at the ball the swing starts ... and that has helped a lot. Just swing it!
LOL. My golf nickname used to be "The Statue" due to my motionlessness for extended times over the ball.

LOL. My golf nickname used to be "The Statue" due to my motionlessness for extended times over the ball.
Hahaha I felt like Sunday. Frozen. Finally the little voice in my head would say, just swing damnit!

Yeah, when that happens I just need to break the mental lock and step back off the ball. Nothing and I mean NOTHING ever good comes from a swing (for me) after standing over the ball for that long.

One of the guys I golf with says that if I could play a second ball after my first (in the same spot) I'd be a scratch golfer. Once the pressure is off, my swing is fluid, relaxed and very quite decent. I'm trying to take that confidence into my first swing.

Lately, as in the last roughly 6 rounds, I seem to have relaxed over the ball much more. A lot less of the self-doubt/anxiousness I used to experience.
I don't know if it's more comfort with my game, or just playing a lot more this season has made me feel that if I do hit a bad shot, I am able to recover better, or just mental calmness.
Whatever it is, I like it a lot more than dreading what was going to happen when I swung the club.

Lately, as in the last roughly 6 rounds, I seem to have relaxed over the ball much more. A lot less of the self-doubt/anxiousness I used to experience.
I don't know if it's more comfort with my game, or just playing a lot more this season has made me feel that if I do hit a bad shot, I am able to recover better, or just mental calmness.
Whatever it is, I like it a lot more than dreading what was going to happen when I swung the club.

Deep breath and swing ! :)

Just keeping the thread up at the top. I did shoot a 57 today, but was happy just to be out.

Last edited:
I shot a ten over par!!!! Unfortunately it was in disc golf.

I did buy a guy's SCOR wedges over in the Marketplace and I expect to be shooting better than ever as soon as Mr. Postman shows up!

I shot a ten over par!!!! Unfortunately it was in disc golf.

I did buy a guy's SCOR wedges over in the Marketplace and I expect to be shooting better than ever as soon as Mr. Postman shows up!
sweet.

Returned to Malaysia for the Christmas holidays, and went out with a friend here for a quick 9. We played out of the same bag - his - and I shot 38. The kicker? I only played with his Adams 3 hybrid, Callaway 8 iron and Ping blade putter.

No trouble off the tee and I generally played to the middle of every green...

My playing partner used nearly every club in his bag and was all over the golf course.

I am currently playing to a 9 index, though I've not played for about 2 months. He rarely breaks 100, though I've been with him when he shot in the low 90s.

He blames his equipment for his shortcomings... He stopped doing that today and wants to play again later this week with just "a few clubs" and how he can do.

Try it if you are still struggling. You might be surprised.

Chutting for the win?
Returned to Malaysia for the Christmas holidays, and went out with a friend here for a quick 9. We played out of the same bag - his - and I shot 38. The kicker? I only played with his Adams 3 hybrid, Callaway 8 iron and Ping blade putter.

No trouble off the tee and I generally played to the middle of every green...

My playing partner used nearly every club in his bag and was all over the golf course.

I am currently playing to a 9 index, though I've not played for about 2 months. He rarely breaks 100, though I've been with him when he shot in the low 90s.

He blames his equipment for his shortcomings... He stopped doing that today and wants to play again later this week with just "a few clubs" and how he can do.

Try it if you are still struggling. You might be surprised.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Getting off the tee safely and aiming for middle of the green is solid advice for nearly all of us.

I didn't see a "What cool swag did you get for Christmas?" thread anywhere,so I thought I'd share mine here.
I got a gift card to the Golf Dome, a gift card to Golfsmith, and a way cool Godzilla headcover.

There is definitely a thread on it. I'm mobile or I would link for you.

Getting off the tee safely and aiming for middle of the green is solid advice for nearly all of us.

Using my FYbrid for the most part and it's working. I did experiment with a very strong grip and it changed my slice into a pull/hook. Trying to swing to around 1 o'clock though and did hit a 230 yard drive. Would have been longer but I plugged it. Going to try to get out again soon to see if it's reproducible. I do think I get sloppy with my grip.

Today, I shot a personal best 94. Oddly, it's the first round I have ever walked. I think I did well enough, could have had a few more drives in the short grass and had way too many putts, but progress is nothing to be scoffed at.

I have achieved a goal, now the question is what should my reward be?

Thanks to everyone in this thread for group support in pursuit of this most elusive goal!

I need to live in this thread.So want to be a consistent 90 shooter

Today, I shot a personal best 94. Oddly, it's the first round I have ever walked. I think I did well enough, could have had a few more drives in the short grass and had way too many putts, but progress is nothing to be scoffed at.

I have achieved a goal, now the question is what should my reward be?

Thanks to everyone in this thread for group support in pursuit of this most elusive goal!
Well, what are your vices?:angel:
In all seriousness, you could treat yourself to something that will assist in that goal, whether it be a new club, some lessons, or some other golf-related gear.

I need to live in this thread.So want to be a consistent 90 shooter
Chip, we're all after that same goal, and this thread, and THP in general, is a great place to find help and support.

Chip, we're all after that same goal, and this thread, and THP in general, is a great place to find help and support.
I'm building a new swing from the ground up.Pro assured me this will work as long as I stick to it.Stinks that I haven't hit one golf ball in 11 lessons now.This Monday I go back to start the transition after ingraining a 3/4 backswing in the mirror the last few days.So hope I can be under 100 everytime once I complete his extensive program//..so so so hope

Has anyone tried the approach of leaving the long clubs at home and just try maybe a 6 or 7 iron as your longest club? The link below is an interesting read:

http://pluggedingolf.com/break-100/

It may seem like it's not golf, but I may give it a try in the spring. I rarely play 18 and mostly stick to 9 holes, but have yet to score an honest no mulligan less than 50.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back