GHIN handicap and posting scores during off season

TYork

Reaction score
Hey THP,

GHIN wouldn't allow me to post my score today. The error came up as "scores cannot be posted on a course observing the off season". I realize I should probably take this up my my local club but I am curious on a few things that THP might be able to help answer.

Is this standard? Am I really not able to post scores and adjust my handicap during the off season? Its been pretty warm/dry this winter in Utah and I imagine I will be able to log 10-12 rounds before spring. Do none of those count towards my handicap? Should I just keep track of them in another app and enter them in the spring?

No offseason here in N. California even in places like Truckee that get 400 inches of snow.

I think so, much of the country has an off season where posting isn't allowed and "winter rules" are followed. It was like that when I was in Oregon. But if you go play somewhere that doesn't have an offseason (California, Nevada, FL, AZ etc) you can post those scores.

This is right. For example, the season in Montana is Apr. 1 to Oct. 31. We had some really warm stretches in November and December this year, and I probably played 8-10 rounds in those months, but I couldn't post any of the scores.

No off season in North Texas either. Handicap tends to go up in the winter playing all bundled up, ball not going as far, etc/

When I lived in West Point, NY and was running my GHIN through the MGA this was the case. I could only record scores from those locations that did not have an off season (my example was TX & FL). They would not allow me to record any scores from areas that had an off season.

Thanks all for the responses. I learned something new today!

Off season in Ohio is November to April 1st or 15th. My cap always goes way up after I knock out 20 rounds in April then slowly goes back down all year

Looking for a new site or app to post Ghin hcp, any recommendations that are inside $50 per year

Can you get an actual GHIN cap through the grint?

I tried to post a score yesterday and was labeled an "Inactive Golfer" where I has just posted a score 2 days prior.... weird.

I tried to post a score yesterday and was labeled an "Inactive Golfer" where I has just posted a score 2 days prior.... weird.

Sounds like your GHIN handicap expired. I had to renew mine at Rockwood this past Monday.

Sounds like your GHIN handicap expired. I had to renew mine at Rockwood this past Monday.

I'm not sure how GHIN renewal works - will look. But I went back this morning and it allowed me to post scores. Weird.

I'm not sure how GHIN renewal works - will look. But I went back this morning and it allowed me to post scores. Weird.

That is strange....when going through the city of FW courses, it's a calendar annual thing. So even though I signed up last June or July, had to pay again since it's 2018.

Looking for a new site or app to post Ghin hcp, any recommendations that are inside $50 per year

In VA most local clubs only charge $30-40 a year for handicap service (GHIN). I figure Florida would be cheaper?. I just pay any local course and use the GHIN app to post scores via VSGA.

Florida http://www.fsga.org/

So this is the first year I’ve been a member of the NCGA via a course, rather than through e membership. I fancy playing in a few comp’s this year as I think it will do wonders at sharpening up my game. Here’s my question. In the UK, you can only submit a score for handicapping purposes if you play with someone else with an official handicap and they then sign the card.
Here, I just put the score in my NCGA app and that’s it. So, I take it I can put all my rounds in, even if I’m playing as a single and they will be official rounds? And what about when I’m playing other courses, they should go in too? I’ve always just chucked all the scores in, but this is the first time I’ll need a handicap for “official” purposes, so would rather follow the correct procedure.

#FiberLaunch

Back