MediocreAtBest

Reaction score
Handicap
How often do most of you take lessons? What did you focus on first? Still finding my stroke after playing for about 3 years. Recommendations?

I was taking a lesson once a year and I was focusing on any bad habits I picked up during the year. Now I take a clinic here and there. Shop around and find the instructor that fits your needs and your swing.

It's varied frm one a year or every couple to a series of them over a 6 month period.

Monthly for a while - have the instructor give me drills based on what he sees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take one every 2-3 months.

Not as often as i should. I think I need to make a commitment to do a lesson every few months.

1 to 2 per year!

How often do most of you take lessons? What did you focus on first? Still finding my stroke after playing for about 3 years. Recommendations?
Once or twice a year. Focus? All depends on what the issues are at the time. Usually it's making sure i.m tightly connected keeping my right elbow in and swinging in to out.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

2016 I took 6 lessons
2017 I took 1 lesson, mainly cause I moved 3.5 hours south.

It really depends on my goals and what I am trying to accomplish. When I have played my best. I usually had a lesson once a month.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm not advocating this approach, but I tend to take a lesson when I develop a swing flaw that gets so bad that it's not fun to play any more. Last time (three weeks ago), he watched three or four swings and told me what I was doing wrong. Boom, I'm back on track.

I'll have an official lesson every couple of months but a little tune up when stuff creeps in as needed.

I've taken a lesson package once and never even finished it.
You really have to commit to the practice time outside the lesson to get real value, and I just couldn't do it.
I also don't think the teacher was for me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I've never had lessons and probably wont in the near future. If at some point i come across enough free time to really dedicate myself to the game and getting better I might, but right now golf is just an extra for me that I enjoy no matter how I play

I have only ever take one lesson as an adult, and while it did identify the issue I was having, it really did not help fix it.

I really want to get onto a solid lesson program, but honestly I would almost always rather just put the money towards play.

I’ve had somewhere between 40-50 lessons since fall 2013. I started out as a beginner taking them weekly. As I improved I spread them out to monthly, and then every few months.

Last year I only took 1. Not because I don’t have plenty to improve, but because I know what I need to do. I think I’m at a point where practice and playing more will benefit me more so than lessons.

How often?

I'm in my second season at Golftec. 15 lessons last year and 10 this winter. I really enjoy working with my pro.
Of course he's leaving in March because, like most pros, he can't make a decent living financially teaching golf.
Anyways, I've developed the philosophy to work on my swing during the offseason and just play golf from March-October.
You've said you're in your 3rd year. I'm in my 6th. I think it's always a continuous quest to improve my swing and game.

Other than from my father when I was in my early teens, I’ve taken handful of full swing and 3 putting lessons in my 40 years playing this great game. I’ve always been afraid of the regression, sometimes permanent, that has plagued many I know after a lesson package. My stubbornness and golf success at a young age surely has contributed to my lesson avoidance. This summer I plan on taking more putting lessons probably at a SAM lab.

i also think lessons are the fastest way to get better for the vast majority of golfers including my 12 year old who takes about 20 lessons each summer.

Up until 2016 I could count on one hand the number of lessons I had had in my life, since then I have had a lesson roughly every 6-8 weeks or so

Initially it took quite a bit of work to get out of the bad habits that I had developed, working on a few things at a time that have culminated in quite a big change in results from my swing

The lessons also helped me understand my swing better and know what I did wrong when I hit a bad shot, so I could (try to) make sure I didn't hit the next shot the same

Everyone is different in how often they need a lesson and how much time between lessons they have to practice, but if you are serious about wanting to improve then I would definitely recommend finding an instructor you can work with and go for it

anywhere from 1 per year to 4-5 spread throughout the year. really depends on what's going on and what i need/want.

Back