Want to make more putts?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I think one of the great equalizers in golf is putting. A solid round on the greens can really save a round or make it a special day. I see far too often, players mis-read puts on direction and speed. I watch them stalk putts from all sides and still miss badly. A few have asked for my advise and others just keep paying my bets every weekend.

So I thought I’d share what works for me and good number of top tier golfers.

1- break you putts into three section when reading the greens. Pay close attention to the last 2/3 of the putt. This is when the ball begins to slow down and take the break.

2- try to approach the green with your eyes open. Meaning, start reading the green as you walk into it. Walkers have an advantage IMO, they usually approach the greens from
the front, allow for them to read the putt at hand.

3- read your putt from one side of the hole. Behind your ball is more than enough

4- determine if it’s uphill or downhill

5- know the pace of the greens before you head out to play.

Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated!!

Good points there Freddie! Knowing the green speed is the one that kills me. Why oh why can’t courses keep the practice green at the same speed as the greens on the course?!

I would agree with this. I seem to putt better when I walk as opposed to riding in a cart.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I like to be on the putting green for at least 15 minutes prior to playing if possible. It helps me a great deal. Thanks for the tips.

One thing that has helped me understand and predict the line of putts is to just look at a 5 foot circle around the hole, where the ball is rolling slowest and breaking most, and try to determine what point in that circle is the highest.

I think one of the great equalizers in golf is putting. A solid round on the greens can really save a round or make it a special day. I see far too often, players mis-read puts on direction and speed. I watch them stalk putts from all sides and still miss badly. A few have asked for my advise and others just keep paying my bets every weekend.

So I thought I’d share what works for me and good number of top tier golfers.

1- break you putts into three section when reading the greens. Pay close attention to the last 2/3 of the putt. This is when the ball begins to slow down and take the break.

2- try to approach the green with your eyes open. Meaning, start reading the green as you walk into it. Walkers have an advantage IMO, they usually approach the greens from
the front, allow for them to read the putt at hand.

3- read your putt from one side of the hole. Behind your ball is more than enough

4- determine if it’s uphill or downhill

5- know the pace of the greens before you head out to play.

One thing I will add that, where its applicable, learn to read the grain. It will help you with pace and knowing how hard to hit the putt.

This is solid advice and #1 is what I do on every putt that's not a tap in. This has helped my putting tremendously, especially with longer putts where lagging is just as important as making it.

Really solid advice Freddie! I'll see if I can stick to that this weekend, it's actually pretty similar to what I usually do. May have you take a look at my putting to see what you think I need to work on. :D

Really solid advice here. One thing I would add would be to know what kind of putter you are, meaning, are you one that likes the ball to die into the hole, or are you one that is more aggressive and hits is 2-3 feet by if it misses. This makes a big difference on reading the break. If you are like me and like to die the ball into the hole (outside of three feet of course), then the break will be greater than the those that like to be more aggressive.

freddie is a hell of a putter, so any advice he has is worth paying attention to.

personally, i cannot do #1. i have a problem moving off my first read. as soon as i get up to the putt, i've already made up my mind and i can never commit to anything other than that first read.

Good stuff. All things I think most people have thought about one time or another, but maybe have forgotten to piece them all together. A pre-putt routine that starts walking up to the green. I like it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks...good tips
Have one (my 3ft rule)...the 3 footer...its so close...easy right?...easy back swing, soft hands, no acceleration, limp wrists turn over miss it left. You dont have to grip it hard or pop it...just don't be limp, control the face to the line. If you have to choke down 1/2 to lighten the head, practice swing the lighter flowing feel, so you don't get stuck. BINGO!

Great advice Freddie! Thank you!

Really good stuff Freddie! I do all that. Except I do not shortcut the read as suggested in #3. I have often found that if I don't take a look from both behind the ball AND behind the hole sometimes I am fooled by the amount of uphill/downhill slope. So I make sure I get both views. Which side view also matters. Most instructors advocate you walk the low side of the path to the hole. I have found that gives me a much better read on the break than trying to judge it from the high side.

A Pace of Play Tip: Make your read in an unobtrusive way while other players are sizing up their putt. If you aren't putting first, you should have most/all of your read done by the time it's your turn.

Thanks to all above for the good advice.

I just saw this post for the first time today and it's much needed. After seeing my pathetic putting this week I need all the help I can get.

Back