Sarasota FL Golf course recommendations...

pingman33

Reaction score
Handicap
Headed to the Sarasota area the end of March for some spring training action. Going to get out and play on Monday and Wednesday...Looking for some local info.
Thanks
Joe

Bumping this thread to see if THP had any recommendations.

I'm headed down to Siesta Key for Spring Break with the family March 17-24 & will be taking the clubs.

After a bit of searching, looks like University Park & Waterlefe need to be on my radar.

When it gets closer to trip time, I'll start a new post to see if any locals want to hit the course.

Yeah those would be the two. Give yourself enough time because the traffic is a nightmare. Sarasota National is another, but it’s technically in Venice.

I'm here through next Saturday. Playing University Park tomorrow morning with some guys from my home club who just happened to be coming here this week too.

I'll get another round in sometime this week if anyone is interested.

Hey Shakey try Bent Tree played that course, not too bad, fast greens, also Bobby Jones golf course, it's a muni but in reasonable shape. Fairways are just OK, greens are good. I played the British Course. Plus what JB said, Sarasota National is good.

I'm here through next Saturday. Playing University Park tomorrow morning with some guys from my home club who just happened to be coming here this week too.

I'll get another round in sometime this week if anyone is interested.
University park is a fun one...enjoy

Yeah those would be the two. Give yourself enough time because the traffic is a nightmare. Sarasota National is another, but it’s technically in Venice.
I really need to get back down to that one.

I played Esplanade for the first time recently and would add that to the list, River Strand is another great one, but I think that has gone fully private at this point. The River Club is also really enjoyable and more affordable.

I played Sereano today...ok track...the place was packed....

Thinking about University Park for Thursday....

Called University Park...they told me last week I couldn't get a tee time till 3 in advance. Told them I was from out of town, the lady on the phone told me I wouldn't have problem...called yesterday..nothing till afternoon for a foursome...They don't seem like a friendly bunch there...
Called Waterlefe and talked to Matt..great guy, we tee off at 11 on Thursday...I will report later!

I played University Park Tuesday & Sarasota National this morning.

Loved Sarasota National. Wide open fairways inspire confidence, but several of the greens will eat your lunch due to the pin placements. A perfect example was the the 2nd par 5 on the front. It was playing right around 500 yards with a tail wind. I hammered a drive & hit the best 5i in my life from 190 yards out. That left me a 30 footer for eagle, but the damn thing was pinned on top of a dome that ran off in all directions. I freaking 4 putted it. All three misses grazed the edge and caught the slope & ran out 10+ feet from the hole. It was stupid.

Waterlefe was awesome. Great layout and the course was in very goog shape...lost a few balls because I couldn't see the trouble...Lots of water...super fast greens...
The staff was great,,,very friendly and helpful! My group really enjoyed the day...

Waterlefe was awesome. Great layout and the course was in very goog shape...lost a few balls because I couldn't see the trouble...Lots of water...super fast greens...
The staff was great,,,very friendly and helpful! My group really enjoyed the day...

Waterlefe is a personal favorite of mine. Lots of THPers have played it and loved it. Can be kind of tricky but a fun challenger to your game.

The Sarasota area definitely has the best golf courses in Florida in terms of quantity and value. Plus, being in Sarasota is better than anywhere else in this state. Beaches, resorts, golf, shopping, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Waterlefe is a personal favorite of mine. Lots of THPers have played it and loved it. Can be kind of tricky but a fun challenger to your game.

The Sarasota area definitely has the best golf courses in Florida in terms of quantity and value. Plus, being in Sarasota is better than anywhere else in this state. Beaches, resorts, golf, shopping, etc.
I've really enjoyed the golf here. We played Misty Creek Country Club yesterday & it was a fun track. Very tight driving on many of the holes. If you had the nerve to hit driver & hit the fairway, there were a lot of scoring opportunities. Greens were in good shape too.

I agree.it is my favorite part of Florida..tough traffic, but this whole state is backed up with traffic.
It has been great playing golf in shorts and a short sleeve shirt!!!! Going to the Os games has been great also!
My family has really enjoyed this week on Siesta Key. No one is looking forward to heading back..

Who's this guy? Anyone know this cat? Looks like someone I used to know, but he doesn't come around these parts no more...

Back