casuk79

Reaction score
Handicap
What wedge lofts are the more common amongst THP members after 44° PW

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I prefer a 4* gap usually except recently I went to a 6* between my sw and lw. When I had a 44* wedge I played 48/52/56 or 58

I currently play 4 wedges:

Apex MB 9i (43*)
Apex Mb pw (47*)
MD3 50*
MD3 54*
MD3 60*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4* gaps is often seen. I’m trying to go with this.
45* PW
48*
54*
60*

It really depends how far you hit each club with a full swing. For example, if you hit your set 44* wedge 130 but can only get 110 out of an aftermarket 50* wedge, you may need to go 48* to properly fill that gap. Be more concerned with how far you hit each club than what is stamped on the club.

No hard and fast answer, its all about what fits your distance gap. For some, it'd be 48, myself I have always been just fine going into a 50.

When I had a 44* PW, I stuck with 4* gaps and went 48/52/56. I recall the setup working well for me, but ultimately it's going to come down to what you're comfortable using.

My pw is 46*, and my wedges are 50, 55 and 60.

50* GW and a 54* SW. I also have a 58* LW but it's not in the bag right now.

Depends what you use the wedges for. The next wedge after your 44° will most likely be used for full shots, so 48° is good to give you a good stepping.

The next one will probably be used for a lot of short game shots around the green so you'll need something with a little more spin. Going 53° would be my choice, leaving the length of the club the same as my 48° to keep the speed up on full swings.

My last wedge, the wedge for utility shots, and trouble lies, maybe used when I need to get it up high, would be the most lofted club I could hit without costing myself strokes. For me, it would be a 59° club with a high toe. Would never use it for full shots so I'd keep it as short as possible to give myself better touch and feel.

With all that said, if you can't hit choke down shots, half shots, hold offs, knock downs, etc.. Just go 4° between wedges and call it a day. 44, 48, 52, 56.

I'm glad I ask this now, yeah I have in my head loft is distance I know my average distance in my old irons so I will work it out so that iv not got a big gap in my yardage. Thanks

PW 45*
then 50/54/58

I'm glad I ask this now, yeah I have in my head loft is distance I know my average distance in my old irons so I will work it out so that iv not got a big gap in my yardage. Thanks

Basically, when I bought new irons, I took my wedges in and had them bent to get the carry distances I wanted. We bent my 52 to 50* to get it to 130 carry, my 56 was bent to 55 to get it to carry around 115, and we left my 60 alone at 100 carry. The only one I was concerned with was my 52. I felt the gap between it and my pw was too much. It cost me $20 to bend and test my wedges til we got it where I wanted them, compared to buying a new 50* wedge at $160.

Iv got a cheap set that I bought at the start of last year so I can use them while I'm figuring it out, I'll try get the gap wedge for my set and get a fitting and just buy one wedge at a time

Last edited:
Wedge lofts

Currently carrying PW 47*, 52*, and 56*. Still unsure about anything higher than a 56. Had a 60 but didnt like the grind. (Vokey K grind)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not a long hitter. My set PW is 44 (avg carry 112) followed by 3 CBXs. They gap pretty well, although to be honest I'll rarely swing a wedge full and usually play a partial shot if possible. CBXs = 48 (avg carry 101), 54 (90), and 60 (73).

I prefer 4° gaps, 48, 52, 56, 60 for me. I do that because I'm much better full swinging with those lofts than 3/4 or 1/2 swing with a stronger loft.

I've got 48, 53, 58

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

51* 55* 59* here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently play a 50 and a 56. I might switch to a 50, 54 58 set this year.

Just worried as the 56 is my favorite club in the bag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My PW is 45
Then I go 50, 54, 58

49, 54, 58 for me.

Used to be 52, 56, 60 but new irons created a big gap between PW and GW and changing them out evened out the gapping again

Back