In round recovery

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
One of the things that I struggled with multiple times this year was starting out strong then in the middle of my round usually between holes 6 & 12/13 I would lose it. Had several rounds where I was even thru 5 them went on a run of bogeys or worse before somewhat recovering and making some pars over the last couple holes.

i try to take play one shot at a time and not worry about score and it worked many times but I had 7 rounds that I just fell apart in the middle and either barely recovered or just never got back on track that round.

what are things you do when your round goes from good to bad?

No answers here but listening carefully.

I've had a number of rounds that I was -2 to even in the first 5-6 then a string of bogeys/pars ending up finishing the last 3 in par so I can relate.

It is frustrating as most of my rounds have a birdie in the first 1-3 holes and generally pars for the other. I had one round that started eagle, birdie, par, birdie this year that ended up +6 which was disappointing.

If thinking about it one shot at a time doesn't seem to work, then don't think about it one shot at a time. Think about it one hole at a time instead. If the last one was a double, come back with a par on the next one. If the reason you started playing bad is you started making bad contact or your swing went off, look for the positives out of it. If you hit a bad approach shot, you can still hit the green on the next one. Stick that close and make the putt for par. If you stay positive and can look at the bigger picture, sometimes that helps more than trying to focus on the one thing going poorly.

Also, have a go to shot. If you know you hit a 100 yard 3/4 PW well, then play to that distance every time. If you know you are good with your wedges around the green, just try to get your 2nd shot within 20 yards of the green and know you'll get up and down.

Trying to focus on what I knew I was good at has helped tremendously on avoiding or limiting this issue recently. it goes back to that whole thread Freddie posted before asking if you know how to score. A big part of that IMO is playing to your strengths instead of trying to avoid your weak areas.

I try to relax and remember it's only a game.

If thinking about it one shot at a time doesn't seem to work, then don't think about it one shot at a time. Think about it one hole at a time instead. If the last one was a double, come back with a par on the next one. If the reason you started playing bad is you started making bad contact or your swing went off, look for the positives out of it. If you hit a bad approach shot, you can still hit the green on the next one. Stick that close and make the putt for par. If you stay positive and can look at the bigger picture, sometimes that helps more than trying to focus on the one thing going poorly.

Also, have a go to shot. If you know you hit a 100 yard 3/4 PW well, then play to that distance every time. If you know you are good with your wedges around the green, just try to get your 2nd shot within 20 yards of the green and know you'll get up and down.

Trying to focus on what I knew I was good at has helped tremendously on avoiding or limiting this issue recently. it goes back to that whole thread Freddie posted before asking if you know how to score. A big part of that IMO is playing to your strengths instead of trying to avoid your weak areas.

i have aver tried to stay away from the getting to mental during a round and one of the reasons I went to a one shot at a time was to get away from the one hole at a time where I would think that ok git a double, need to get a par on the next one.

in some of the rounds it was a bad shot that had me making bogey instead of par, some were lost balls or maybe a missed par or bogey putt.

Playing through a bad round can sometimes seem impossible. It usually takes a small spark to turn things around. A good putt, a good chip or even a hard fought par. You have to look for one thing that will push you over to the positive side. Or maybe just stop thinking and let the game take over

This may sound lame or cliche, but make sure you have enough energy & stay hydrated, regardless of weather conditions. I try to eat a granola bar or some type of PowerBar product every 6 holes so I stay fueled with food. So I eat one before we tee off, somewhere between holes 6 and 7, then again somewhere between holes 12 and 13. I usually go through 3 bottles of water during a round. Even more during the hot Summer months. I've found this keeps me from getting too physically tired, which could then take a toll on you mentally.

As far as forgetting shots... if/when I hit a bad shot, I allow myself until I get to my ball to be mad about the previous shot. From there, it's reset mode to a typical pre-shot routine. Get a yardage. Grab a club. Pick your target. Picture your shot. Positive thoughts on the shot. Hit the shot.

Laugh it off knowing that I'm better than that and then focus on the next hole and prove to myself that I'm right about being better than that.

If that doesn't work I pull some liquor from the bag.

Develop a stock shot that you can go to when this happens. For me it's a choke down 3/4 draw. It's a shot I know I can hit more often than not. This builds the confidence back up over a couple of holes. If for some reason you can't hit that stock shot, go for the booze!

Laugh it off knowing that I'm better than that and then focus on the next hole and prove to myself that I'm right about being better than that.

If that doesn't work I pull some liquor from the bag.

Now you're talking - just realized I need to figure out a way to stock a bar in my bag! :bananadance:

I try to relax and remember it's only a game.

And.....you can do nothing about the shot(s) you just hit, but you can control those you are about to hit. Re-group and get that feeling back from the start of the round.

I say just be happy you went from good to bad instead of going from bad to worse:D

This may sound lame or cliche, but make sure you have enough energy & stay hydrated, regardless of weather conditions. I try to eat a granola bar or some type of PowerBar product every 6 holes so I stay fueled with food. So I eat one before we tee off, somewhere between holes 6 and 7, then again somewhere between holes 12 and 13. I usually go through 3 bottles of water during a round. Even more during the hot Summer months. I've found this keeps me from getting too physically tired, which could then take a toll on you mentally.

As far as forgetting shots... if/when I hit a bad shot, I allow myself until I get to my ball to be mad about the previous shot. From there, it's reset mode to a typical pre-shot routine. Get a yardage. Grab a club. Pick your target. Picture your shot. Positive thoughts on the shot. Hit the shot.

Thanks for the info. Hydration and eating are things I have incorporated into my golf this year. I drink the equivalent of 3 16 oz bottles of water if not more. I have definitely tried to just focus on the shot at hand then move on and it's something that has had some good results.

I let it take it's course without losing my cool. It usually happens to me too and I assess what the shot is that's causing me problems, I then try to gather myself and go through fundamentals right away. Sometimes I salvage something good and stop the bleeding and sometimes it gets worse lol. Ya got to roll with the changes :guitar:

Four hours plus is a mighty long time for a mistake not to happen, so it's bound to happen. When it does, like the guys said, accept it and stay patient. Work at it so that these mistakes won't hijack the game, find some damage control.

Also, keep the energy level high. Could it be that your game picks up at 14 is because you have tee house or cart girl nearby and you have recovered from your energy meltdown?

So mental issues over errors, frustration and fatigue might be likely factors.

Meanwhile, just keep going, keep trying to make pars or bogies. Wait for a better momentum to kick in.

Back