Just curious as to how many of you who are so tied to your putters have actually played in a limited club tournament, and how well you actually did. As I said above, my experience playing in 4 such tournaments, one 3 club and three 4 club competitions with no restrictions on the clubs chosen, I was never beaten in my flight by anyone who selected a putter as one of his clubs (I only actually won my flight once.

I play in one of two of these a year and I always put putter in my bag because I know I NEED to use it every hole. I am usually playing with people right around my skill level, 16 handicap, and watching them struggle trying to putt with a club they are unfamiliar with is comical. Three putts are often the best case scenario. I am trying to remember but I don't think I have ever finished below someone who didn't have a putter.

My other go to club is my 54° wedge because it is my everything from 90 yards and in club, another area where you can gain strokes because people aren't used to using a certain club around the green. For my other three clubs I would probably go driver, five iron and eight iron.

I play in one of two of these a year and I always put putter in my bag because I know I NEED to use it every hole. I am usually playing with people right around my skill level, 16 handicap, and watching them struggle trying to putt with a club they are unfamiliar with is comical. Three putts are often the best case scenario. I am trying to remember but I don't think I have ever finished below someone who didn't have a putter.

My other go to club is my 54° wedge because it is my everything from 90 yards and in club, another area where you can gain strokes because people aren't used to using a certain club around the green. For my other three clubs I would probably go driver, five iron and eight iron.

Well, of course you can't do it without at least a few minutes of practice putting, but it really isn't all that difficult. Anyone who goes to the first tee having never really tried to putt with FW wood or hybrid is going to have problems.

I really question your decision to not only take the putter, but the driver too, unless every par 5 hole is reachable in two strokes, and you are guaranteed to keep the driver in play. That makes 2 single purpose clubs, leaving only 3 for all the rest of the shots you have to deal with. You are really limiting yourself.

A lot of the decision making for this kind of competition is determined by the course and the tees you will be playing. When I've played in them, we have usually played the middle tees, but once (for the 3 club tourney), we played from the forward tees. The length of the course and the issues which that might create are important considerations.

My choices are absolutely determined by the course, I can hit driver on all the par fours and fives minus two, and on those holes, five iron and eight iron approaches are perfect. Two of the par there's are eight irons and the other two are a full five iron and a choke down five iron. With good drives I put myself in eight iron distance on a couple other holes and short on the others, which then I have my trusty 54 to get up and down. It really helps to have a solid plan going in because that puts you ahead of the game to anyone that doesn't think ahead.

Driver
6i
8i
SW
Putter

I hit driver + 8i or 9i on most holes so if I back off on the 8 iron a bit, I should be fine. Driver + 6i + SW for the par 5s. There are typically a couple of par 3s that need 6 iron to reach the green. SW for pitching and chipping. Where I'd be in trouble is if there's a 112 yd par 3 and soft conditions because I'd have to bump and run that with my 8 iron or hope for an up and down.

Where's this at Roger?

3 wood
5 hybrid
8 iron
PM grind
Putter

I'd go with my SLDR Mini, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, and putter. Those cover probably 85% of the shots I make anyway.

I would go putter, 56, pw, 8i and 4w. That would allow me to go at the green in at most 3 strokes no matter the length on all par 4 or 5

3 wood.
6 iron.
8 iron.
50* wedge.
Putter.

At around 6,100 yards, I might even consider dropping the 3w for my 18* hybrid to close the gap.

Roger, my club is having a 4 club plus putter tourney in a few weeks. You should come down for a warm up.

I'm thinking I'll bring:

Driver 240
4i 180-200
8i 140-160
52 90-110
Putter

I need my driver. My course becomes too long without it and I'm not consistent enough with my 3w. I would also probably bring my putter even if it was a 5 club tourney. I've just been rolling it so well I think it would save 6-8 strokes.

Hopefully this is a course you play a lot and know where you'll be. I would just go hole by hole and figure out what you'd normally use for each shot.

6100 is pretty short so I would really like to see the length of the par 3's but without knowing:

4 Wood
54*
9 iron
7 iron
Putter

If there are no par 3's longer than 170 yards and no par 4's over 400 yards I would swap the 9 and 7 iron for a wedge and 8 iron.

3w- off the tee and deck

Putter - most used club will help keep score decent

56* wedge: versatile enough to use around the green and up to 85 yards out

5h: could use out of rough and a number of yardages, and enough distance to get in scoring range

8i: could punch it, choke up and use it for a pretty good range of approach shots.

Driver, 4I, 6I, 8I, SW. These clubs get me on all the par 3s(5) on my home course. Shortest, 157, longest 218. I would only have to play one par 4 in three approch shots. 6003 yards from the white tees. I have played a one club tourny in the past, 6 iron was my choice. I have also played a few 3 club tournys as well. I would putt with either the 6I or SW. Fun times.

When is the tourney? I might take you up on that!

I play this club quite a bit, so it should be fun to play it a different manner.

For others curious, the par 3s are all pretty short, but all in but the first are into the wind:

142 (downwind, usually hit PW or 8I depending on where the pin is and how stiff the breeze is)
120 (into the wind, anywhere from AW to 7I depending on pin position/wind)
120 (into the wind, usually PW-8I)
142 (into the wind, anywhere from PW to punch 6I)

This time of year, and in the morning I think the wind should be down so they should play close to the yardage.

Roger, my club is having a 4 club plus putter tourney in a few weeks. You should come down for a warm up.

I'm thinking I'll bring:

Driver 240
4i 180-200
8i 140-160
52 90-110
Putter

I need my driver. My course becomes too long without it and I'm not consistent enough with my 3w. I would also probably bring my putter even if it was a 5 club tourney. I've just been rolling it so well I think it would save 6-8 strokes.

Hopefully this is a course you play a lot and know where you'll be. I would just go hole by hole and figure out what you'd normally use for each shot.

You animal you! I don't even carry a 4I and you pound 2I!

I think for a 5 club tourney I would definitely bring the following:

2 iron

7 iron

50*

62*

Putter

You animal you! I don't even carry a 4I and you pound 2I!
Well its a Srixon U45 so its a utility 2 iron lol...I have that club in a 3 iron as well and they are stupid long and forgiving.

When is the tourney? I might take you up on that!

It's this Sunday, unfortunately I had something come up so I won't be playing. Maybe next time.

Driver
5 iron
8 Iron
50 degree
Putter

I think that would give me the greatest amount of flexibility.

i would hit:
5 Wood
7 iron
9 iron
60* wedge
putter

5w
5 hybrid
8 iron
GW
Putter

3w
5i
8i
Putter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just played in it, and for the most part played about as well as I would have with 14 clubs. Lost 3 balls in hazards on really terrible swings.

Went with the following 5 clubs:

3W
5H
8I
58*
putter

If I had to do it again, I think I would have went with a 54* in place of the 58*.

Came close to making my first ever ace, ball landed 3 inches right of the cup on a 114 yd par 3. Amazing how well you can hit a club 3/4 or less if you commit to the shot.

Driver
4h
8i
50 wedge
putter

Playing in it again on Saturday, have set my 5 club roster as follows:

5W
6I
9I
54*
Putter

Basically skipping every 3rd club, don't know how much I will lose off the tee with 5W and still have it to hit from the Fairway. 9I I can probably hit on 3 of the 4 par 3s, and the 4th will either be 6I or choked down 5W depending on how hard the wind is blowing.

Back