Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

Dude i can see this being a WEAPON for you

It really is stupid easy to hit off the tee and FW. That flight is really strong, and I can see the majority of people going with this 3w over the 816, especially if they feel comfortable hitting a FW off the deck

Dammit, you aren't helping.

I believe they (Callaway) will alter the weights for swing weight purposes too. I believe...

I'm not helping? Hahaha how do you think I feel with those who have the heavenwood version of this? There's a hard ponder happening that I think I like.

I thought I read they'd alter that weight for SW purposes as well, but wonder if they'll ever make those little weight available for purchase through a club maker etc

I'm not helping? Hahaha how do you think I feel with those who have the heavenwood version of this? There's a hard ponder happening that I think I like.

I thought I read they'd alter that weight for SW purposes as well, but wonder if they'll ever make those little weight available for purchase through a club maker etc

You could always TwitterBeg like some do.

No, seriously, don't do that.

and thats exactly my stance on not only this, but the GBB driver and the Apex CF. The feel of a well struck ball with the GBB 3wood was contagious

I only went with the 816 driver because testing proved it produced better numbers and with the driver I am looking for raw distance first and then control. Every other club in my bag is looking at a consistent number.

You could always TwitterBeg like some do.

No, seriously, don't do that.

Oh hell no, won't do that. I will though ask that question when you guys are at ECPC if they do a live Q&A like last year.

Oh hell no, won't do that. I will though ask that question when you guys are at ECPC if they do a live Q&A like last year.

It has been added to my question spreadsheet.

Hearing that this one performs as equally or better than the VSeries line says a lot for what I need. I struggled mightily with 3W off the decks and the VSeries solved that. I enjoy my VSeries 3W on tighter or shorter driving holes and i cannot wait until I am properly fit for this one. I can easily see a 3W|HW|D9 set up leading into my 6i.

Hearing that this one performs as equally or better than the VSeries line says a lot for what I need. I struggled mightily with 3W off the decks and the VSeries solved that. I enjoy my VSeries 3W on tighter or shorter driving holes and i cannot wait until I am properly fit for this one. I can easily see a 3W|HW|D9 set up leading into my 6i.
That is what I was planning on for my bag. The only thing I might do different is go 4W instead of 3W. Have never been able to hit a 3W but will try this one out to see if I am able to hit it

Considering the Heavenwood now. Love my 3w off the tee but not entirely comfortable hitting it off the deck.

Anyone care to share the distance they are getting from theirs? And what your average 7i distance is?

Just wondering if it is logical for me to expect this to bump my x2hot 3 hybrid at about 210 yards

Considering the Heavenwood now. Love my 3w off the tee but not entirely comfortable hitting it off the deck.

Anyone care to share the distance they are getting from theirs? And what your average 7i distance is?

Just wondering if it is logical for me to expect this to bump my x2hot 3 hybrid at about 210 yards

I don't quite have a heavenwood, but I do have a 21 degree FW. Add an inch or so and we're in the ball park. Off the deck, I can get 220 out of it easy, 230 if I really step on it.

7i is around 170.

I hit my XR Pro 7 iron approx. 180.

I hit my GBB Heavenwood approx 230-235.

I hit my GBB 3 Wood approx 250-255.

Sounds like 210 is about the max i should expect out of it based on my 155yd 7i. Appreciate the info guys.

Now I need to go hit this and see if it is as easy to hit as advertised.

I'm loving my new HW & 3Ws.

Great clubs and easy to hit. The HW is my favorite of the two, but no regrets buying these off the forum about a week ago.

If I could only hit my irons this well....

Ding dong the mini 1.5 is dead.

Fupy was right, this is a much better club overall for what I want/need. Playing the 3w at bone stock 15 with the Rogue i/o 70 and she is a beautiful launcher.

Off the tee Ive lost nothing from the mini distance wise but gained carry and it's just a more confidence inspiring thing for me at setup likely thanks to my GBB HW love. The real winner is off the deck though as even though I'm in the minority that CAN hit the mini off the deck, and hit it high, this is an exponentially easier elevation, little baby fades all day from tee and turf for me which I love seeing.

Kind of a crisp sound with some metallic tendency to it but not sharp or harsh. Ball speeds on my monitor rivaled the Mini toe to toe and gave me a touch more spin which I personally need.

Best part for me though is the profile fits my eye, its not super deep, its not super wide, and that's what I love from a confidence perspective. Typical solid lateral forgiveness though off the heel I can definitely cut the hell out of one (as with almost any fairway off the heel haha).

Going to drop it 1/2 for a comfort thing alone and to blend into my HW better. It's a winner, and definitely ends all thoughts of mini for me come December.

How does this compare to the V Series 3W? I'm guessing lower launching and a bit heavier??? Are people finding success with this one off the deck and tee or is it geared more toward one over the other?

How does this compare to the V Series 3W? I'm guessing lower launching and a bit heavier??? Are people finding success with this one off the deck and tee or is it geared more toward one over the other?

Having played and am still gaming the V HW, my GBB 3W is only slightly lower launching and a hair heavier (although I like the balance of the club more), but is more forgiving IMO. I play it off the tee on tight tee shots and swear it gets close to how far I hit my driver distance wise. It's likewise easy to hit off the deck and really is the best of both worlds.

I've played both - the V Series and GBB 3 wood.

The GBB is longer heel to toe (more forgiving), slightly heavier feeling, lower spinning, and once I had a couple of range sessions with it, I am finding slightly lower launch in a less spinning shaft, and more run.

I play them both at 43.25 inches. I am keeping the V Series as insurance until I get on a course (too much biz travel lately) but I did have the feeling the GBB is longer and easier off the tee and longer off the fairway where you will get a lot more run. With the V, ball go high and descend quickly without much roll (for me). After I get accustomed to the GBB, I may cut .25 inches, or what the heck, I may just grip down off the deck a tad, and keep the .25 inches for the tee ... lol.

Slightly flatter flight, lower spin, IMO its not significantly heavier in feel, easy off the deck and plenty effective off tee. More well rounded than the v by a significant margin for me and my needs/wants.

Agree with this ^^^^^. One of my concerns with switching to the GBB HW is it won't land softly like the V series does. I use the HW into greens all the time and it lands beautifully, so I really don't want to lose that aspect of the club. Perhaps loft adjustment will help as well, but I'm interested hear others' experience in that regard.

Agree with this ^^^^^. One of my concerns with switching to the GBB HW is it won't land softly like the V series does. I use the HW into greens all the time and it lands beautifully, so I really don't want to lose that aspect of the club. Perhaps loft adjustment will help as well, but I'm interested hear others' experience in that regard.
Zero adjustment for me into greens with it, still gets to same apex and descent, just on a flatter ascent. Even turned down to 19, I can hold greens with no issue and usually withing a foot or three of my divot.

I get to hit these again today, and I cannot effing wait.

Though honestly, I need to hit less 3w off the tee and more HW off of it. The 3w is good and a cannon, but I'm getting deadly with the HW.

I get to hit these again today, and I cannot effing wait.

Though honestly, I need to hit less 3w off the tee and more HW off of it. The 3w is good and a cannon, but I'm getting deadly with the HW.
Do you see the top end of your bag being similar to how it is set up now? 3W HW then Hy?

Do you see the top end of your bag being similar to how it is set up now? 3W HW then Hy?

Honestly, barring a shocker at the fitting, I see my setup being the same with the Apex CF16 in for the XRP 6-AW.

Honestly, barring a shocker at the fitting, I see my setup being the same with the Apex CF16 in for the XRP 6-AW.
Good stuff Capt. Its gonna be really cool seeing everyones complete set up when its all said and done

Had a chance to hit the Heaven wood today and I must say from the first ball to the last ,on a tee or off the deck it is a monster of a fairway wood. Absolutley the best FW wood I have ever hit.Not very sure of distance i was getting exactly but I was flying the 200 yd flag all day with it. This cub can very easily be my favorite club in the bag now Its such a sweet club. The only complaint I could have is when I teed one up and hit the ball the short plasticTHP tee came out and hit the head and left a scratch on top of the head that took a small ding out of the matte finish which is a bummer and maybe with a little rubbin it will come out but Im not very sure it will .Not to sue of what to apply to the head without making things worse on a matte finish , Kinda wish the head was a different finish but that will not stop this club from becoming a permanent addition to the bag. If your thinking about a FW the heaven wood is absolutley it, Go get it!

Ok. Need some help choosing. I want a wood in the 19 degree range. I am trying to decide between the HW and the 5 wood. I have a low 90's driver ss so this would probably be the longest club in the bag besides the driver. Has anybody tried both and which is easier to hit and more forgiving? I know the HW is slightly larger head size but how does that affect playability? Does that make it more forgiving or something? It looks like the shaft lengths are about equal and I choke down usually anyway so that doesn't make any difference. Which would you pick and why?

Back