bigdaddy

Reaction score
Handicap
Just got back from the Dr. Found out my MCL has a tear in it, but it should heal itself with rest and bracing, but likely will need surgery for a meniscus tear.

I had been having pain in my right knee since last Thanksgiving when my sons wanted to play football in the back yard. Went out for a pass and stepped in a depression in my yard. At the time, I felt a sharp pain in my hamstring. Went to the Dr and it was confirmed that it was a minor hamstring tear. 6-8 weeks and it would heal itself. No big deal with a New England winter...

Once golf season started, the leg never felt stable. I was hanging on my front side too much and if I did go after one, pain would shoot down the inside of my right knee. I quickly learned that the night and next day after playing, the knee would be very painful. Several days in a row, was brutal.

Last month, I played 3 days in a row and realized I was playing worse and worse and was just constantly in pain. Our club championship was bad. I was the top seed and got wiped out by a higher seeded player in the semifinals. Just knew something wasn't right.

That next day, I scheduled an appt with my Dr and he ordered an xray and an MRI. Today, I got XRAY was normal, MRI showed the whole story. Out of commission a minimum of 8 weeks + if the pain persists, the meniscus adds another 6 weeks of recovery...

At least winter is coming...

Hope you recover well and come back strong next season

Winter is Coming.......

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Heal up well buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Praying for a full recovery bd.

Done for year...

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Sorry to hear this, get it fixed sooner than later

Sorry to hear it. Get healed up and I bet you come back stronger than before!

That stinks. Get it take care of now, get better and be ready for next season

Sorry to hear, but like you said winter is coming and that is the perfect time to let everything heal. Here is to speedy recovery!

Just got back from the Dr. Found out my MCL has a tear in it, but it should heal itself with rest and bracing, but likely will need surgery for a meniscus tear.

I had been having pain in my right knee since last Thanksgiving when my sons wanted to play football in the back yard. Went out for a pass and stepped in a depression in my yard. At the time, I felt a sharp pain in my hamstring. Went to the Dr and it was confirmed that it was a minor hamstring tear. 6-8 weeks and it would heal itself. No big deal with a New England winter...

Once golf season started, the leg never felt stable. I was hanging on my front side too much and if I did go after one, pain would shoot down the inside of my right knee. I quickly learned that the night and next day after playing, the knee would be very painful. Several days in a row, was brutal.

Last month, I played 3 days in a row and realized I was playing worse and worse and was just constantly in pain. Our club championship was bad. I was the top seed and got wiped out by a higher seeded player in the semifinals. Just knew something wasn't right.

That next day, I scheduled an appt with my Dr and he ordered an xray and an MRI. Today, I got XRAY was normal, MRI showed the whole story. Out of commission a minimum of 8 weeks + if the pain persists, the meniscus adds another 6 weeks of recovery...

At least winter is coming...
Ahh buddy, that's a bummer. I've had 4 torn MCL's in the last 5 years, 2 which included meniscus as well (3 in right, 1 in left).

On the bright side, as long as it is grade 1 or 2, no need for surgery. And, it's not quite as succeptable to re-occuring injury like the ACL or PCL (mine were all completely unrelated).
Balance + resistance strengthening is key for a full recovery, and really work the calf and hamstrings once it's healed up.

I would be surprised if it took that long, especially if you stay positive.

That does suck, but as you point out, it does come at a good time (there never is a good time for that), to minimize you missing out golf during the season.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. At least it's winter and hopefully you'll be good to go when the weather is decent again.

Sorry to hear that,best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that.....Injuries suck!!!!

I maybe joining you on the DL soon....My initial X-rays indicate a complete tear of a ligament in my left wrist. Waiting for the insurance co ok to have the MRI done. Surgery may be in my future.....

Good luck,
Joe

Yikes dude! Thats no fun. Long as you don't like skiing, take the winter to heal up haha

Hope you're feeling better and back to full strength soon!

Ahh buddy, that's a bummer. I've had 4 torn MCL's in the last 5 years, 2 which included meniscus as well (3 in right, 1 in left).

On the bright side, as long as it is grade 1 or 2, no need for surgery. And, it's not quite as succeptable to re-occuring injury like the ACL or PCL (mine were all completely unrelated).
Balance + resistance strengthening is key for a full recovery, and really work the calf and hamstrings once it's healed up.

I would be surprised if it took that long, especially if you stay positive.

The Dr. actually said that what prevented more damage from being done was years of doing squats and plyometrics for football and baseball. When I was just out of college, my peak squat was over 600lbs. In his opinion, that prevented even more damage from being done.

I think a big part of it was realizing that the weather was still "golfable" so I kept on playing, probably a lot longer than I really should have. I tweaked it at TPC River Highlands walking down to the 2nd tee box and that's when I knew it needed to be seen. I went through the motions the rest of that round and then our club championship. Never was quite right. Had some absolutely horrendous rounds.

sorry to hear about that man. Hope it heals up soon.

I think a big part of it was realizing that the weather was still "golfable" so I kept on playing, probably a lot longer than I really should have. I tweaked it at TPC River Highlands walking down to the 2nd tee box and that's when I knew it needed to be seen. I went through the motions the rest of that round and then our club championship. Never was quite right. Had some absolutely horrendous rounds.

Yup, very typical to injure it more before you know what's really going on. I never realized how much stress the knees take while golfing - definitely notice nowadays.

bummer- torn ligaments are the worst. been there.....hopefully never again. Make sure you stick to the physical therapy. I skimped on the therapy when I got my labrum repaired and its been bothering me ever since.

Sorry to here that. Hopefuy you get better soon!

Back