The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

1. What do you think is your biggest strength on the golf course? Why/how?

Im not sure really. I dont have any real strengths, but I do know how to play smart golf and I do for the most part keep it in front of me.

2. What do you think is your biggest weakness on the golf course? Why/how?

When I get tired, I play really bad golf.
My injury keeps me from really going after the ball, but that is more of an excuse than sound reasoning.
Last year there was no question it was putting. I three putt 7 greens after being up 2 to AJ through 8 holes. This year I have rectified that a bit and have not really struggled on the greens.

3. What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the strengths?
Im working on a lot of different things, but most of it is going back to the basics for me. Getting up and down from anywhere, which has always been my strength has become a major weakness. That is being fixed and think with the right partner we will be par machines.

4. What is your history of competitive golf situations?
The no HOF tags says it all. Haha. Seriously in THP Events I have struggled with the team. Im a terrible captain, because I always felt as though motivation was not necessary. My Morgan Cup team was downright awful, despite playing well personally. That is on me. Last year in the Grandaddy myself and my partner won our first match and halved our second match. Then I was just terrible in my singles match on the back nine.

5. In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in competition? Why?
ANybody. I dont have a preference. I like to play golf. I like to enjoy the golf course. And I like to win matches. Give me a person that likes it a bit laid back, without it being too laid back and we will play well together. I like being carried when I am in a rut and dont mind carrying when my partner is down.

6. In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect? Be honest.
This is a great question and the answer is different for everybody. For me, it literally does not bother me in the least bit. I dont care or worry about what the other person is doing or has done. In fact my record against high handicappers giving strokes is better than my record getting them since I just do not take advantage of the situation.

Hope this helps.

Thank you guys! I love it. Seriously.

As do I, refreshing and enjoyable to read.

It really is.

The hardest thing for me, as you know totally, is the toll that figuring out how you want to pair people takes. It is LITERALLY on my mind throughout each day.

It really is.

The hardest thing for me, as you know totally, is the toll that figuring out how you want to pair people takes. It is LITERALLY on my mind throughout each day.

I hear you. A TON of thought has to go into it....and spreadsheets. I liked to have strengths/weaknesses/mentality all in the process and documented in front of me. I was very much about balanced teams from a skills perspective while also looking at their personalities and how folks would gel.

Man how I wish we could have all played as well in singles as we did the day prior.

Mine is coming tonight. Swamped at this hospital here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realized that I listed what I'd like from an abilities perspective but didn't really touch on the personality aspect, so wanted to expand on that.

Looking back at the guys I've played with in my past events, I thrive in a lighthearted atmosphere and with a partner who likes the competition but doesn't get too serious or too down on themselves if things go bad. If my partner struggles and gets really negative, that will take me off my game as well.

I want someone I can help build up and that will help build me up, even in singles when we are playing different matches, having a "we're in this together" mentality has worked well for me.

At work at the moment JMan so I will post mine if I get a slow time at work or will post tonight when I get off work. It is definitely coming though

Great posts so far, here are my answers. Sorry if long, but since none of my teammates (or captain) have seen me golf, I'm trying to put as much out there as I can.

What do you think is your biggest strength on the golf course? Why/how?

I think my putting is the best part of my game right now. I average about 1.8 putts a hole, but love putting. Some guys get on a green and think "what can I do to not 3 putt this?" I usually ask "what do I need to do to sink this?". I also think my mental game is a big strength for me. More specifically, the ability to live in the moment, and not dwell on poor shots or missed opportunities. As well as staying positive throughout the entire round.

What do you think is your biggest weakness on the golf course? Why/how?

Right now it's been my driver. It used to be one of my biggest strengths, but I've been struggling lately finding fairways. I'm at about on 28% fairways hit, so that doesn't leave me in a good position to hit GIRs. I average around 250 off the tee, but that won't mean anything unless I can consistently hit some fairways.

What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the
strengths?

I've been spending range time working on the driver, and think things are starting to move in the right direction. Just need to keep on focusing on accuracy off the tee. I'm continuing to work on putting, with the focus of being automatic from 5-6
feet and in. I'm also working on turning my short game around, and trying to get up and down from around the green. I've been and will continue to put in extensive time on this aspect, as it is a huge factor in match play (and scoring in general). This was another weakness of mine that has been starting to improve.

What is your history of competitive golf situations?

Every year for the past 4 years I've been a part of a group of 48 guys that plays a 4 day tournament (18 holes/day) in the Myrtle Beach area. Handicaps range from scratch to 36. Each day is a different course, and you are paired up with the same partner for each day. You each play your own ball the whole time. Both your net individual and net team score are compiled each day, and at the end of the week there are team champions and individual champions. I've won the team championship one year, and placed 2nd in the individual standings as well.

In match play situations, I'm in a work golf league that is match play every week. This is one night a week, April through September.

I haven't had much experience with other formats (shambles, best ball, pinehurst, alternate shot, etc.) outside of the THP event at Olde Stonewall this year.

In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in
competition? Why?

Skill-wise, right now, probably somebody that could consistently hit fairways, since that is what my main struggle is now. But, hopefully I'll also be improved in that statistic after continued work. I guess for me, it's more about the attitude of my playing partner. I like playing with somebody that is upbeat, and stays positive. Not always mad at themselves or the shot they just hit. If they are, I can try to keep them positive, but it's much more work and also can take a toll on my game.

In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you
mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect?
Be honest.

Giving up strokes does not bother me at all. I just try to play my ball. I always am aware of holes I'm giving or getting strokes, so as not to give away a putt that really does count for something. For some odd reason, in my work league match play, I usually tend to do better against people with higher handicaps than me.

Love reading the replies to Jman's questions. Keep plugging away guys.

Alright I tried to use the colors but I'm on tapatalk so hopefully it works.

1. What do you think is your biggest strength on the golf course? Why/how?

At the moment I would say my scrambling. I don't hit many GIR so in order for me to score well for my game I have to scramble a lot. Played yesterday and had a chip in birdie and 5 chips that left me 5 feet or less. My short game in general is a strength. If my driver is on that is another strength of mine

2. What do you think is your biggest weakness on the golf course? Why/how?

Like I touched on hitting the green in reg is a big weakness of mine. I feel like a lot of it is alignment related and I also leave myself in bad spots with poor tee shots which I would say is my other weakness. Tempo is the big thing with me on the tee, I get quick at times trying to power the ball to get extra distance. Getting to cute with shots at times is a weakness had a double yesterday that should have been an easy par because I pulled the wrong club and tried to pull off a shot that wasn't needed. Threw another ball down and pulled the club that I should have used for that shot and left it 3 feet from the hole

3. What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the strengths?

Working a lot with alignment rods to get my alignment straight to the point where I can set up to the ball and trust that I am lined up correctly. I also am working on making sure I make the right decision for each shot, and just playing the shot in front of me and not trying to do something that I may pull off once every 10 tries.

4. What is your history of competitive golf situations?

Honestly have never played in any match play situations. Have played in a few tournaments but nothing to this extent. I do tend to compete with people without having an actual competition just to see how I handle things. I have played in one THP Invitational and we didn't win but we never got down on each other and just tried to make up shots where we could

5. In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in competition? Why?

I could play with anyone as I have a wide range of playing partners normally, but I would like to play with someone who can be focused on the task at hand but also be loose and be there to talk if either of us are getting down. Ability wise a strong tee shot player would help me be able to be loose on the tee box knowing that we will have one in the fairway.

6. In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect? Be honest.

As I have never played match play this is something I have never had to deal with. However I can only control my game. My goal is to put up the best score I can put up on each hole and if he puts a better score up than so be it. At my handicap I don't know if I will be giving up many strokes but even if I do all I can do is play my game. I can't get lost and caught up in giving up strokes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap the colors didn't work. Stupid tapatalk

I dig the questions by the way Capt.!

Currently I would have to go with short game in general, like 8 iron down to the bottom of the bag, I have scrambled so much more consistently the last few weeks by bringing more clubs into play around the greens and I have been putting pretty good as well which never hurts.

Biggest weakness without a doubt has to be Driver, it has been overall better the last few weeks but generally seems to be a club I struggle with regardless. Im sure CBaker could chime in here and agree it was the weakest part of my game when we were teamed up in Pittsburgh. That being said its a lot better than that day but still a work in progress.

What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the
strengths?

Well for one I have l played as many rounds as I can the last few weeks, especially during the weekdays, so I can drop two balls on every tee and get maximum swings in. It also puts myself in various situations all over the course. Not that I won't be getting range time in, I will for sure but I struggle to translate a good driver range session to the course, I am much more likely to carry over a good team game during a round to the next but I will be getting time to groove the driver into a much more secure place. My home course plays about 6500 from the whites but in general you can spray and recover so I stand over every tee imagining the Hideaway, with all the veterans stressing fairways to be hit in order to be successful.

I play in a Sunday match on weekends it fits the schedule. It is handicapped and most weeks have a low gross and a low net, I just play golf to the best of my ability and at the end of the day the cards will fall where they fall. I wouldn't say its really that much of a competitive setting based on handicaps and you get to play in foursomes that are generally 4 different handicap ranges. Outside of that I have played in one THP event in Pittsburgh and was lucky enough to be teamed up with Cbaker. To be dead honest, if Colin had any thoughts of his own on things to work on looking back I would love to hear them. We are an open book and its hard to say whether I was a good teammate or not. So if Colin catches this post, good, bad, or indifferent what could I work on as a teammate/competitor?

In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in
competition? Why?

Someone who like cool breezes and walks on the beach. KIDDING. I don't really know how to answer this, I guess on one end I could say someone with a more accurate tee game, but overall someone who is just relaxed and confident. I hope I come off as the same and if your out having a good time, well things cant be going that bad then.

In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you
mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect?
Be honest.

As stated earlier, the Sunday games I would play usually have 4 different handicap classes so I am used to being in a 4some with guys who are 10 strokes better than me, and guys with a higher handicap as well. It does not change my game at all, I play my ball the smartest way I can on the course. Not used to giving strokes on a hole to hole basis as we usually play net score overall, but again I wouldn't think it would affect me at all, Im focused on playing my ball and having fun. If your doing those things the right way, you dont even know what the score is your just playing a great game called golf.

Proud to be a part of #TeamRedemption and the THP community as a whole you guys have been awesome and its only going to get more insane over the next few weeks! If you have any suggestions or questions Captain, I'll be here ready and able to accept!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Im not going to speak for Jman or anybody else, but as someone that has played these courses before I can offer 3 things of advice for Grandaddy participants.

1. Play the hardest courses in your area that demand things you are not used to. If you are playing the same few courses each week or month, stop it.
2. Change your practice routine. Going to a short game area to putt for an hour or chipping balls from the fringe to the green for 30 minutes does virtually nothing. Its actually called Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Change up your practice routine and dont think because there is only 2 months to go you cant fix something. If you cant hit a driver, learn freaking how now. Lessons dont break you down and build you back up. A coach will work with what you have to fix a minor move.
3. You will get out of it what you put in on THP. If you just post in this thread, nobody will have a clue about your journey. Get out on THP. Post all over the place. It takes 10 minutes a day to make 10-20 posts in a day. If you cant spare that, trust me, you are doing it wrong. Now with that said, I promise if you do, you will enjoy the heck out of it when the final putt drops.

Thank you #Cookie for cleaning that up for me. Work and tapatalk didn't really mix well and that is what I get

Im not going to speak for Jman or anybody else, but as someone that has played these courses before I can offer 3 things of advice for Grandaddy participants.

1. Play the hardest courses in your area that demand things you are not used to. If you are playing the same few courses each week or month, stop it.
2. Change your practice routine. Going to a short game area to putt for an hour or chipping balls from the fringe to the green for 30 minutes does virtually nothing. Its actually called Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Change up your practice routine and dont think because there is only 2 months to go you cant fix something. If you cant hit a driver, learn freaking how now. Lessons dont break you down and build you back up. A coach will work with what you have to fix a minor move.
3. You will get out of it what you put in on THP. If you just post in this thread, nobody will have a clue about your journey. Get out on THP. Post all over the place. It takes 10 minutes a day to make 10-20 posts in a day. If you cant spare that, trust me, you are doing it wrong. Now with that said, I promise if you do, you will enjoy the heck out of it when the final putt drops.

I approve this message.

But the bold, I freaking SHOUT from the damn rooftops.

POST! Be seen! Be PART of this whole thing as much as you can and do all you can to make EVERYONE a part of it.

Great stuff in here so far. Loving the answers and JB's post is spot on.

I will add that for me, I try to spend most of my time practicing the shots that make me uncomfortable and the ones that challenge me the most.

Truer words could not have been said.

My range time has been/will be dedicated to cleaning up my iron striking. I've even reached out to my golf pro I used earlier this year to have a look and set me straight.

I need to get up to DFW and play some match play prep with you..
Best Legacy prep I got was with #Cookie. He's like a match-play Yoda.

Great idea, Captain. I have had a great time reading some of these.

My biggest strength is my short game, specifically chipping and putting. I have always been a pretty good putter, and I constantly work at it thanks to emphasis from my father early in my golf career. I have developed a pretty good chipping game, that has gotten a little better over the past few years as my Tee game and approach shots have been lacking.
Tee shots with the Driver. I would like to blame it on hitting a borderline unforgiving driver, but at the end of the day it boils down to where my clubhead face is at impact, and that lump 3 feet above my arse. It started with a shoulder injury 3 years ago, and a loss of flexibility, SS, and distance. Since then it has been a slippery slope of overswinging to get back to my old numbers. This has resulted in a lot of bad shots, and no idea where the ball could end up on bad days. The tee game is costing me strokes via, OB, lost balls, and terrible lies.

What work are you putting in to try and address weaknesses and/or build on the strengths?

I have been working with a voice caddie SC100 to dial in a nice smooth stroke with the driver in numerous range sessions. I have seen some success in finding a solid SS in the 97-100 range where i can make a good move on the ball, hit the sweet spot, and keep the ball in play. This doesn't always carry over into the round, but i'm working on it a few times a week to hopefully groove it before the grandaddy. (I am nervous about the golf season ending here in the midwest.) As far as building on the strengths, I have added the 'rule of 12' to my chipping repertoire. I think it has improved my consistency greatly, and will come in handy for the speedy greens at 'the hideaway'. I think it could become an asset once I get a feel for the greens there. My putting has been great the last few weeks, and I have been very confident on putts from 6 feet and in.

I played competitive golf at a small 1A high school in Mason City, Iowa, where I lettered 4 years. We went to the State Tournament my last 3 years where we finished 2nd (later DQ'ed... which is a funny/sad story), 2nd, and 4th. Maybe I'll throw up some photos... then you can all see me with hair! Other than a few best shots or 2balls each year, I haven't played in anything truly competitive in about 10 years. I miss this feeling, and it is when i'm at my best. I like the comradery and the accountability that comes with playing competitive team golf, and pressure situations are where I thrive! (I am getting pumped up just typing this!!!) Man... I cannot wait for December!

In a pairing format, what type of player do you think would benefit you most in competition? Why?

I think I would be best paired with someone who is long off of the tee but may struggle around the green. I think we could use my chipping/putting as an asset and this would allow my partner to be very aggressive with tee and approach shots. I am also pretty even keel and would be a good compliment to someone who wears their emotions on their sleeve. I feel we could ride high when things are going well, and I could pick up spirits if the golf gods smite us.

In a singles format, will giving up strokes (potentially many) play a role with you mentally in your ability to play YOUR game? Can you adapt and overcome that aspect? Be honest.

My handicap is currently hovering in the 14-15ish range, but mentally i know i'm capable of shooting a lot better on any given day (or hole) if i can avoid blow up holes... especially OB or trouble off of the tee. I tend to think that I am fairly resilient and level headed, so I am usually able to salvage the round. Because of this I think that i could be an asset in a skins scenario. My bad holes are going to happen, but I will bounce back with some good shots and put some good holes together. If I give or take a few strokes it shouldn't matter, if I focus on my game and my round the rest will take care of itself.

Looking at the responses from the team, seems we need some solid consistent drivers to get the ball in play. I'm committed to work on my game over the next few weeks to fill that role.

Ok fellas. My break is over. It's time to start the grind again. The weather is giving us a break for a couple days this week so I will have some range time tomorrow and I will get a round in Thursday. I'll take a half day vacation if needed. I'll have a couple new clubs in play including my potential Grandaddy putter, MXM 1w. I'm so ready to start the greatest ride of my life!

Ok fellas. My break is over. It's time to start the grind again. The weather is giving us a break for a couple days this week so I will have some range time tomorrow and I will get a round in Thursday. I'll take a half day vacation if needed. I'll have a couple new clubs in play including my potential Grandaddy putter, MXM 1w. I'm so ready to start the greatest ride of my life!

Get it kid. Give that short game and putting a workout. That can bail you out like crazy if you're shaky off the tee one of those rounds.

Looking at the responses from the team, seems we need some solid consistent drivers to get the ball in play. I'm committed to work on my game over the next few weeks to fill that role.

I was thinking the same thing. We've played together a few times and my driving is not that off and I'm usually in a good spot off the tee. I get in trouble when I lose concentration and my swing gets quick. I'm going to work on tempo and make sure my tee game is not a liability for my team

I definitely replied earlier that Driver was a weakness, and it certainly is based on the scale of the rest of my game, but I will say it can definitely be worked on in a positive way. Most issues occur when I try and step on it. If I keep my tee game within my swing, slow is smooth...smooth is fast, it can assuredly not be the crutch it can be at times. But I need to win that mental battle in that six inch space between my ears standing over a ball with driver in my hands on the tee box. I will be focused the next few months on checking my swing at the door in those situations and gaining confidence with a reliable smooth swing. At least those are my thoughts going forward on this journey.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back