Proper golf attire

I keep reading that word "elitism". I also gotta tell you that some jeans cost WAAAAAY more than a nice pair of Levi Docker slacks I wear. Same with some T-Shirts I see out there. I'm with you on the expensive clubs thing, but a dress code is a dress code. If there is one, there is one. Is it "elitism" to ask people on your property to dress appropriately if you want them to?

Yes, I get the snootiness inherent in some people about golf, but you find that in every sport, and in every walk of life. Have you ever gone to a bowling league match and worn plain clothes? Yeah, they aren't nice about it, either. "Elitism"? Not sure.
No on elitism, yes on "Jean's don't go with golf attire, or golf...."

In my job, which brings me from the construction site to the board room in a single day, I learned that I dress to respect the occasion and to respect the people I'm meeting.

That said, golf to me is down time, so it isn't golf if I'm not in shorts.

Clubhouses here impose dress codes, so that's their problem to impose dress codes without alienating anyone and still grow the game.

Golf duds now are so high tech and comfortable I actually wear them to work and I'm trying hard not to make it look like I'm about to play golf.

If clubhouses didn't impose dress codes, I guess I'm fine with other people wearing anything they want, and I may follow suit.

However, I guess some of us will have to trim our armpits. Imagine Phil making that victory jump at the Masters in a sleeveless shirt.

As someone completely new to the game, I find this conversation interesting. While I had occasionally run across golf on TV and seen how everyone was dressed, I honestly didn't know there were rules regarding it. That said, once I found out, my desire to respect the game has me looking at picking up items that I can wear out on the course.

My problem is that I struggle mentally with spending a bunch of money "getting all dressed up" and knowing that I still struggle to consistently hit the ball. I want to look the part, but am afraid my game will look even worse if I show up dressed like a tour pro.

Thanks to many of the posts in the "FairwayStyles" forum, I've gotten some ideas on how to "dress for less" that I plan to use in preparation for my first full golf season next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem is that I struggle mentally with spending a bunch of money "getting all dressed up" and knowing that I still struggle to consistently hit the ball. I want to look the part, but am afraid my game will look even worse if I show up dressed like a tour pro.

This I totally get!!!

You really don't have to spend a lot to dress for golf. That's one thing. The other thing is that if you stick out like a sore thumb with what you wear (jeans and a wife beater, for example) AND you really can't play, that is a million times worse than trying to blend in with what you wear, to me.

I've always thought that regardless of what you're doing (out for a practice game, with casual friends for 9 or playing Saturday comp) you should wear the correct attire. Our club has really tightened up on what people wear on course.

I've always thought that regardless of what you're doing (out for a practice game, with casual friends for 9 or playing Saturday comp) you should wear the correct attire. Our club has really tightened up on what people wear on course.
And that's great. I have no qualms with dress codes. But my home course doesn't have a dress code. I've played with people wearing jorts and a t-shirt. I didn't enjoy that round any less.

When I'm at the course I'm in proper attire and would prefer if everyone else is. If I hit the driving range I'll show up in a t shirt and gym shorts no problem.

As someone completely new to the game, I find this conversation interesting. While I had occasionally run across golf on TV and seen how everyone was dressed, I honestly didn't know there were rules regarding it. That said, once I found out, my desire to respect the game has me looking at picking up items that I can wear out on the course.

Thanks to many of the posts in the "FairwayStyles" forum, I've gotten some ideas on how to "dress for less" that I plan to use in preparation for my first full golf season next year.

I wear a white belt. Don't worry about it, hahaha.

And that's great. I have no qualms with dress codes. But my home course doesn't have a dress code. I've played with people wearing jorts and a t-shirt. I didn't enjoy that round any less.

If your course doesn't have a code thats fair enough.

Here just for interests sake is the dress code listed on our website;

[h=1]Dress Standards / Etiquette[/h]All guests of Warragul Country Club have access to our facilities including a 18 hole golf course, motorised carts, practice range, hire equipment, practice putting green and 2 Certified PGA of Australia Professionals.
The Warragul Country Club is proud to maintain high standards of behaviour and members and guests dress standards. Please note BYO Alcohol is not permitted.

[h=6]ACCEPTABLE[/h]
  • Collared Shirts
  • Tailored Pants/ Shorts
  • Cargo Pants/ Shorts
  • Corduroy Pants/ Shots
  • Soft Spikes
  • Runners/ Sneakers
UNACCEPTABLE

• Singlets/ Tank-tops
  • Thongs
  • Football/ Board Shorts
  • Torn/dishevelled clothing
  • Metal Spikes

If playing a round of golf, players should arrive 15 minutes prior to tee off. Tee times are at ten (10) minute intervals, and players are expected to keep up with the group in front at all times. Time allocated for 18 holes is four and a half (4 1⁄2) hours.

If your course doesn't have a code thats fair enough.
I think a lot of this depends on what courses you played starting out. The course I started playing at, the club championship was one by a guy in a budweiser tank that shot -3.

Dress codes can be a weird thing. Thanks to growing up in So Cal, I'm super super casual in real life. I'd prefer to wear shorts, a tee shirt and flop flops every day if I could. But I trend toward the side that appreciates at least a basic dress code on the course. Having said that, my good buddy Darthweasel lives the words he wrote earlier, and somehow I have never even give a thought to whatever he's wearing when we get together for a round of golf (just as I hope he doesn't snicker under his breath at me for occasionally wearing plaid shorts, bright colors or a shirt with a pattern). We have a hell of a good time together no matter what. And at the end of the day that's the most important thing.

PS to Darth - when I hit the lotto (tonight, God, please) and join Waverly CC you're gonna have to tuck a collared shirt in to come play with me :)

The most expensive part would be proper golf shoes - honestly - I get all of my golf clothing (or most of it) at costco, and it's reasonable. You don't have to go to a golf store, although I would say if you have the means, do it. Support your local brick and mortar retail

Then every single sport is "elitist". Try showing up to a league baseball game without cleats on. They'll tell you what's appropriate in a heartbeat.
That's a little different, you're talking about performance-based clothing. Elitist baseball league would be if you had to wear a white shirt and pants to play.

That's a little different, you're talking about performance-based clothing. Elitist baseball league would be if you had to wear a white shirt and pants to play.

Hmmmm, let me put it this way. When I played in a softball pick up "league" with a bunch of friends, we didn't have to wear cleats and most of us agreed that we didn't need to. In a bona fide league, you don't have a choice. Do you really think metal spikes are needed in Baseball? Does that really enhance performance? If anything, there are studies that show that it is outright dangerous.

The bottom line here is that in general the more well dressed people are, the better in general the etiquettes and behavior are. There is and always was and always will be exceptions to this and a lot of them. But in general I don't think there is any denying that behavioral patterns (etiquettes) of the average person in general do change along with the degree of dress.

Have any social private or public occasion, event, or gathering and do it to two extremes where the dress is one in which it is very lax, dressed down and the other very dressed up. I'll bet my left arm in most cases the occasion with the very lax dress code ends up being the one with the much greater chance of the general behavior displaying less etiquettes, common courtesies, and respect, and even possibly be the one with higher chance where some problematic behavior may even occur. As said its not perfect and there is always exceptions but the more dressed-up occasion would conversely offer the higher chance of all those things mentioned to be displayed much better.

People in general simply tend to be on better behavior proportionally as dress code goes up. go to a crowded pizzeria or luncheonette where fliflops and tanktops are worn, then go to a diner where pants and shirts are worn and then go to a fancier restaurant where dressier clothes are worn and the behavior patterns of people in general do change at all 3 even if not bad at any of them.
The most lax dressed vs the middle vs the most dressed up environment will in itself proportionally imo have most people on their most lax, middle, and best behaviors. Most lax does not have to mean bad but still most lax. But unfortunately the more lax when dealing with a lot of people and strangers that can actually become bad.

I do understand that to some degree some of this depends where one is from. But even then and there, there is still (even if relatively speaking) some small sort of different degrees of dress and the expected behavior to also follow along with it.

I'll repeat what I mentioned earlier in the thread. Imo I don't think its simply coincidence that the deteriorating general lack of common courtesies, etiquettes, and behaviors displayed by the masses in general nowadays is not some how also connected to society's deteriorating dress expectations.

If a golf course or any business, or governing body, or private function powers to be desires a dress code in order to help maintain better etiquettes and behavior I agree with it due to all I mentioned. That doesn't mean one who dresses down cant be the best behaved person there because he certainly can. But its a way of telling everyone involved that they desire and expect a certain level of behavior, etiquettes and common courtesies regardless. And it does imo (even if not perfect and with its exceptions) still work to help obtain that.

Do people believe and observe a proper golf attire when playing? Over the last few years I have played, I have seen people in wife beaters, jean shorts, cut over shirts, comp shorts, t-shirts on the golf course. My father always taught me that you should wear a collared shirt and either slack or dress shorts. Never jeans and never t-shirts. What is everyone else's thought on this matter?

Proper attire is, by any reasonable definition, nothing more than what is required by the course you are playing. While I usually wear a basic golf shirt and neat shorts, I'm not opposed to a more relaxed code. I have often decided to get in a round on the spur of the moment while I'm already out running errands, and I don't see any need to run home and change if the course doesn't require it. Whether it's full golf attire or jeans and t-shirt, it will be clean and presentable, so I don't worry about it. What I wear doesn't change my demeanor on the course.

I play much of my golf now in a rural area of Colorado, and you can see just about anything on the courses around here. The way that a player is dressed will tell you absolutely nothing about his game or his personality. It may give you a hint as to his occupation - around here that's farmer or rancher, often as not.

I've known a farmer to take a couple of hours off in the middle of a hot day to get in a quick 9, then head right back out to the field. I wouldn't have the gall to expect him to change clothes before coming to the course. He'll be wearing jeans, some sort of work shirt, a much abused cap, and work boots. And he may shoot 45, or just as likely 38-40. Many of the local farmers contributed their equipment and labor to building that 9 hole course under the direction of a course designer, so I figure they earned the right to set the standards as they see fit.

Has any one been refused at a course because of dressing improperly?

A few years ago in CA, my friend was told he couldn't play with the board shorts he had on, so he had to buy shorts from the pro shop.

A friend of mine had to buy a shirt from the pro shop Oakmont GC when he showed up unprepared.

Last edited:
Back