Most disappointing club.

davis20

Reaction score
Handicap
If I had the money I would probably buy and try out every club I could. But because I don't I usually play irons for 3-4 years and have had the same driver for 4 years. I know a lot of people on here get super excited over new releases and really into the hype. But sometimes the marketing hype turns out to be just that. So what club or set that you thought was going to be awsome turned out to be a dud?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm one of the only people on here probably but I can't hit the epic to save my life.

If I had the money I would probably buy and try out every club I could. But because I don't I usually play irons for 3-4 years and have had the same driver for 4 years. I know a lot of people on here get super excited over new releases and really into the hype. But sometimes the marketing hype turns out to be just that. So what club or set that you thought was going to be awsome turned out to be a dud?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I dont usually buy blind but in 2016 I did with the Epic and it flat out didnt work for me and I retreated back to my XR16, just the way it goes sometimes I suppose

I bought an Aeroburner Hybrid when they came out and I hated it.

R15 TaylorMade Driver for me. We just did not get along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cobra F7 Driver. I heard great things, but I always felt like I could never get comfortable with it no matter what changes I made.

All 3 woods (newer Callaway, TM, Mizuno) I tried prior to going on a mission to find an older XHot Pro 3 - 4 months ago.

Apex CF16 irons. Never could get consistent distances with them despite trying over and over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylormade R9 Superdeep driver....loved the look but we just did not get along.

Taylormade R9 Superdeep driver....loved the look but we just did not get along.
Was there a big difference between that at the regular R9 or Supertri? I know some people still love those, including me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

All 3 woods (newer Callaway, TM, Mizuno) I tried prior to going on a mission to find an older XHot Pro 3 - 4 months ago.

Same here. I’ve been through a bunch of fairway woods over the years trying to find a unicorn. Went back to my TEE cb4 tour.

Apex CF16 irons. Never could get consistent distances with them despite trying over and over

I’m kinda with you there. The dispersion of distance has never been consistent enough for me to feel comfortable but they’ve been great to work with while I rediscovered my game. Hence my current iron search...

Funny you mention that. I have a bunch of newer 3 woods(Epic, Tour Exotics EX10, Cobra F7) that are disappointing compared to my X2 Hot Deep. I now have 2 backups in case nothing else comes out in the next few years that matches the performance of the Callaway X2 Hot Deep.

Epic Sub Zero.
All the jailbreak hype everywhere I went except all I saw was 3mph ballspeed less than my M2. The driver had some positive attributes but it ate away at me knowing I wasn't seeing what I was supposed to.

Funny you mention that. I have a bunch of newer 3 woods(Epic, Tour Exotics EX10, Cobra F7) that are disappointing compared to my X2 Hot Deep. I now have 2 backups in case nothing else comes out in the next few years that matches the performance of the Callaway Deeps.

I have gamed the XHot 5 Wood for about 5 years and have even considered taking it out of the bag. Had a good run with a Bertha Mini for a while in the 3 wood spot but when that started to go south, I decided to go back to a traditional 3 wood. I use mine as much, if not more, off the deck than off the tee. My search took me through all kinds of brands / models but nothing that struck my fancy. Even got a X2 Hot Pro 3 wood and just wasn't quite the same as the XHot Pro. Finally found one listed on Ebay in very good shape and jumped on it.

Mine was a couple years ago. Went and tried out the Taylormade R1 after playing Cobra most of my golfing life. Was great while getting fitted but once I got it to the course it was awful. When I hit it, it went a long way but those were few and far between. I lasted 2 months before I put it on ebay and went back to Cobra.

2017 Taylormade M2. I bought it like a dumb**s because it I liked the way it looks. It will be traded in this year for the Rogue if I like it or a 10.5 Launcher HB.

4 clubs come to mind:

* TaylorMade Jetspeed 3HL. Hit it on a sim and was getting bonkers numbers, bought it, and it was a trainwreck on the course. Pretty much soured me on TM clubs and I haven't really gotten over it.

* Callaway FT3 Draw driver. Paid for a Golftec fitting many moons ago, and this produced the best numbers according to them. It started a downward spiral of low spin duck hooks that took me years to overcome. I lost all confidence in driver and kind of lost the desire to play.

* PING I25 irons. Did a few demo days to find a more forgiving club since my game was in flux, and landed on these. Paid a ton for them, and never once had success. Kinda like the Jetspeed, it soured me on PING products, though the G400 might get me interested again.

* Callaway Great Big Bertha EPIC driver. I wouldn't classify it as a "dud," but for me it was a giant step backwards in my driving. For the previous year or two my driving had become a huge strength of my game and opened the door to lower scores. Although amazingly forgiving on mishits and long as crap on well-hit shots, my driver swing became head-scratchingly inconsistent and I lost pretty much all confidence. I put my previous driver back in the bag and found my confidence immediately.

I fall into the category of searching for that elusive 3wd too. I've tried to get along with so many that its made me gun-shy in wanting to buy more.

Was there a big difference between that at the regular R9 or Supertri? I know some people still love those, including me.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I never hit the Super-Tri as I believe I moved to the TM Superquad TP which was an outstanding driver, until the face developed a crack.

I don't buy many new clubs... As some may have noticed in other posts, I'm cheap. But when I played golf in high school I needed a new putter and I came across a teardrop putter for a great price. I had seen tons of commercials about how they help with roll etc. So I bought it. That was and is the single worst club I've ever owned. Couldn't roll a putt to save my life. They always started off bouncing.

The Callaway Steelhead XR 4+ fairway wood. Never should have blindly bought it, but I did. Only lost like $10 on it so it wasn't that bad.

I couldn't get anything consistent with that club. Left, right, no trajectory......

It was kinda disappointing as that club was beeeeeeeeeautiful!

The latest Scotty Cameron Newport with the insert. I sold all my other Cameron's to get it and it was way too soft and way to .. Put it this way, any of the $99 Anser style putters from other companies were better.

Epic driver and the 2017 M1 3HL fairway wood. Amazing how many duck hooks I hit with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R1 and M2. Just didn’t work for me.

Back