Pleasantly Surprising Club

Jaymo37

Against All Odds!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In the spirit of the most disappointing club thread that's running, was there a club you never expected to love and yet it turned into a staple club within your bag?

For me, the Adams 9064LS was truly a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect much when first giving it a whirl, but man was that club great for me. Another one I didn't expect to love as much as I did was the TM V-Steel 3 Wood. That was a tough club to replace in my bag for several years.

Go back a bit here but the Cleveland Halo.

Go back a bit here but the Cleveland Halo.

RBZ stage 2 3 wood. I really thought I’d hate it. But it’s a bomber. I hit one today that felt heeled but it just went

Sent from HTX

My Cobra Fly-Z 3-4 FW that I bought off of Chopstixx on here. I had been to a demo day and tried (at the time the new) F6 fw and was really liking it but I didn't want to pay the new price. Right after that Chop had it up for sale as he wasn't liking it. I bought it and it has been one of the best clubs in my bag ever since.

My Garage Austin with plumbers neck is one that was supposed to be an experiment and turned into some of the best putting rounds I've had in a long time. I love this putter.

My current driver. I was shocked at how well it performed. Can't let it go now.

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver. Mizuno is obviously known for their proficiency in other equipment but not drivers. This thing just hits the ball far and straight.

Probably the most generic answer ever, but the Apex Hybrid. So much that I'll probably add a second one going into this season.

The 50* gap wedge that came with my set of Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal irons. It is a big clunky looking thing for a wedge and it sets at 50*, but it has quickly become my go to wedge. When chipping it has the perfect little first landing bite and then rollout for my read of greens. I also almost always use it for pitching from the rough as it just has a lot of forgiveness. Funny thing is when I bought the set I thought it might be the club that would end up in my basement first, but now I use it 10 or so times a round.

Tour Edge XCG irons circa 05. Needed a new set of irons and found these brand new 3-PW for $199. Still have them as a back up or loaner.

I guess it would have to be my Callaway Heavenwood. I just LOVE it. I can hit it anywhere from 180 to 200 consistently.

A couple years old but for me it's the 4 iron and 5 iron in my Cobra King F6 set. It's a progressive set and those two are hollow bodied. They aren't massive shovels like many hollow irons but they are sooo easy to hit well. High, straight, and deep and stop incredibly well on the greens for me.

Here's another for the RBZ 3 wood. It's the villain of my bag, for sure. I root against it to try to convince myself to replace it, but it just performs too well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver. Mizuno is obviously known for their proficiency in other equipment but not drivers. This thing just hits the ball far and straight.

This! Fitter had me try the JPX 900 and i was really shocked how solid it was once we got it dialed in. Found one on eBay for a steal which made it an easy choice!

PING G15 irons. Never thought I'd play something as chunky as those, and I played some really good golf with them.

I picked up Cobra bio-cell 3-4 hybrids for my wife and I on the bay. I really like the adjustability of it, along with the draw capability. It’s the only wood my wife can hit consistently okay.

My backup's, backup my Cleveland Hibore XLS. This thing is probably 10 years old and still will keep pace with any driver I've swung, It's long and straight. I still fall back on it when I start swinging my Callaway's like garbage.

Last edited:
Another one for the Apex hybrid. Most hybrids I have tried, I've always hooked. Not the Apex and the consistency and soft landings have given me the confidence to go for greens when I am 195 to 210 yards out.

V-Series Heavenwood. First fairway wood I could consistently launch high and straight.

For me it’s a club (technically clubs) that I’ve never owned. I went to one of those stadium golf events and used the provided clubs, which happened to be Ben Hogan Ptx irons. They looked like something I had no business using, but I hit them really well. I’ve hit them similarly well the few times I’ve tried them out in the store since then. I’d like to have a set, but I’m way too cheap for that to happen.

apex cf16 AW

Found a g5 5-wood a few years back and it was the easiest thing to hit. Regret selling that club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back