Panda tip: Turn the shoulders for consistency

Great tip Panda. I struggle with this way too often. It's a great reminder of how important the turn is.

I want to add to this, good tempo is key as well. A quick tempo or jerky turn can cause some issues. I had this issue yesterday and was not quite on form. My tempo was quicker than normal. As I slowed it down,the turns were full and results where crack'n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my "senior" body and lack of flexibility, I seem to get the best shoulder turn and best results when I deliberately concentrate on turning the hips in the backswing as opposed to turning against the hips.

The other thing that sometimes helps with shoulder turn for me is the feeling of keeping the shoulders level and flattening out the backswing.

For my "senior" body and lack of flexibility, I seem to get the best shoulder turn and best results when I deliberately concentrate on turning the hips in the backswing as opposed to turning against the hips.

The other thing that sometimes helps with shoulder turn for me is the feeling of keeping the shoulders level and flattening out the backswing.

As we get older and less flexible you will need to turn the hips more. This is not a foreign concept.

I find that a full shoulder turn achieves 2 things : more distance and less OTT. On the course i tend to turn less,especially towards the last few holes of 18, and this can be where i lose drives right.

One of my issues after i make my backswing turn finishing on the downswing. i tend to stop one infeel contact with the ball

I find that a full shoulder turn achieves 2 things : more distance and less OTT. On the course i tend to turn less,especially towards the last few holes of 18, and this can be where i lose drives right.

Yes you are correct a full shoulder turn can help against an OTT move. But it's not a cure all for the dreaded OTT

Great tip! Turn the shoulders and stay in your posture. A centered hip rotation helps me make a full shoulder turn. I want the feeling of my trail hip and shoulder turning up and back.

Went to the range this afternoon and made a conscious effort to make a full shoulder turn with every swing. I didn't see any dramatic changes, but was striking the ball well, with good, consistent distance.

Went to the range this afternoon and made a conscious effort to make a full shoulder turn with every swing. I didn't see any dramatic changes, but was striking the ball well, with good, consistent distance.

Wouldn't the ball striking and consistent distance be a big change? Glad this is helping you.

I was reminded that the correct shoulder is important as I have started to begin with the wrong one. Makes a world of difference...Funny how things are forgotten when focus is on something else. With nothing apparently ingrained it's difficult at best.

I want to add to this, good tempo is key as well. A quick tempo or jerky turn can cause some issues. I had this issue yesterday and was not quite on form. My tempo was quicker than normal. As I slowed it down,the turns were full and results where crack'n

Stop talking to me. Hahaha

Feel like Freddie was looking at my swing again. I am admittedly an arm swinger and I continue to struggle with it, especially when too quick or tired. I think I will add a little more hip turn in the future to perhaps get there easier and better. Thanks for the heads up on this valued tip.

I really have to work at completing my shoulder turn especially during these off months when I don't play much. I was on the range yesterday for 45 minutes before I realized that I wasn't quite making a full turn. My shots weren't bad, but as soon as I figured it out, my distance and accuracy improved. It's such a tough game!!

The shoulder turn is one thing I'm constantly working on as well. At My THPCallOut with TeedUpThoughts, I noticed after the round that I wasn't anywhere close to making a good shoulder turn when watching the vids Ray posted of my swing, and the results were symptomatic of that - loss of distance and a ball that headed right all day long.

One thing I'm working on this winter is flexibility, lots of stretches and pilates, core work at the gym, and practicing my shoulder turn in the backswing in front of a mirror. I've found that when I think "turn my back to the target" in the backswing, I feel that nice stretch in my back that lets me know I'm coiling up.

Hey Panda @tadashi70. Sorry to re-post on an older thread but I was wondering if there are any thoughts/drills on fixing a flat shoulder plane? I know this is problem for me because there are times that my chin has got in the way of my left shoulder and the results are always disastrous. I know I have a flat shoulder plane but honestly just not sure how to go about fixing it. Does this require a concerted effort in the takeaway to make sure that the left shoulder points down to prevent a flat place?

Thanks.

Hey Panda @tadashi70. Sorry to re-post on an older thread but I was wondering if there are any thoughts/drills on fixing a flat shoulder plane? I know this is problem for me because there are times that my chin has got in the way of my left shoulder and the results are always disastrous. I know I have a flat shoulder plane but honestly just not sure how to go about fixing it. Does this require a concerted effort in the takeaway to make sure that the left shoulder points down to prevent a flat place?

Thanks.

In order to have a flat shoulder plane you’d have to be standing with zero waist bend. Your shoulder hits your chin because you’re face is looking at the ball. Look at the ball with your eyes. Raise your chin and you’ll stop hit it with your shoulder.

In order to have a flat shoulder plane you’d have to be standing with zero waist bend. Your shoulder hits your chin because you’re face is looking at the ball. Look at the ball with your eyes. Raise your chin and you’ll stop hit it with your shoulder.

Thanks!

Not sure how hard this is going to be to actually implement for me but I will try to see if I can figure it out.

The one way I can keep my shoulder under my chin is when I make a concerted effort to rotate my shoulders down in a way that my left shoulder is actually pointing at the ball at the end of the shoulder turn. However, when I do that it seems like club is going to graze along the grass in my takeaway.

Either way I do think my shoulder turn is something I need to put some work in improving. Thanks again.

Thanks!

Not sure how hard this is going to be to actually implement for me but I will try to see if I can figure it out.

The one way I can keep my shoulder under my chin is when I make a concerted effort to rotate my shoulders down in a way that my left shoulder is actually pointing at the ball at the end of the shoulder turn. However, when I do that it seems like club is going to graze along the grass in my takeaway.

Either way I do think my shoulder turn is something I need to put some work in improving. Thanks again.

Help me understand something. Are you unable to lift your head so your shoulder slides under it?

Help me understand something. Are you unable to lift your head so your shoulder slides under it?

Yah I should absolutely be able to do that. Just need to remember to do so at address. Thanks again.

Yah I should absolutely be able to do that. Just need to remember to do so at address. Thanks again.

The left should should not dip or be pointed at the ground to achieve this.

The left should should not dip or be pointed at the ground to achieve this.

Yep. I totally get what you said in your original post. I need to make sure that my eyes (and not face) are pointed at the ball. If I can keep my chin up a little more (turn my neck down a little less) it should create enough room to leave me plenty room for the shoulder turn without needing to 'dip' my left shoulder under the chin.

Thanks again.

Ball has been leaking right a little lately. Working on making sure I get a full turn has been helping.

Back