Dynacraft (Hireko) Driving Iron Review

shadow0861

World's Okayest Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I want to start this off by saying that I am USUALLY a hybrid player. I never could find a utility iron that I could hit better than my hybrids. The problem I had with hybrids was high launch and the bulge and roll would sometimes make my misses far worse than normal. I just couldn’t find an iron that could compete with my less than consistent striking.

Then an I took a chance on a Dynacraft Driving Iron over a year ago. I had wanted to try something different, but all the major brands had irons that didn’t work for me. So I bought an assembled Dynacraft Driving Iron for about $35. At first I didn’t use it much, but it grew on me slowly. I honestly love the look of it now, in my bag and at address.

The offset set on the club is what I would call moderate, not off-putting in the least. I was surprised with the look at address as it lines up nicely. It is not gigantic, I feel like I can work the ball and am not using super-mega game-improvement Iron like some you see.

The feel is what surprised me the most. I get a lot of feedback on mishits but no pain in the hands or wrists, just enough to know exactly where on the face I struck the ball. The feel on center strikes is just as good as any other manufacturer. Not buttery smooth obviously, this club is designed to get the ball up and forward and is hollow, so it sounds/feels like a well designed helping iron should. Reminds me of the feel I used to get off my Adams super s DHY I had.

At at first I only used this on windy days to replace my hybrid, but I now have replaced my hybrids altogether. It is easy to launch, high or penetrating, but not as high as a hybrid. I can still stop it on the other end as I get about 1k more backspin. My distance is exactly the same, 200 yards average, but with much lower distance dispersion than my hybrid. Only about 10 yards from shortest to longest, instead of 20.

Overall i I have been very pleased, and just ordered the 18* as well to my arsenal. I would give it a try if you are in the market. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Dynacraft (Hireko) Driving Iron Review

Good on you for throwing this up here on THP, and good write up. I took a chance a couple years ago and dropped $14.99 for a head and I've had it for a long time till we downsized our house.

If you're feeling fancy you can drill a hole in it, drop some hot meld towards the toe and it increases the feel and flight. Careful though, not as hollow as you think it would be =)

92a7d55b7b473b24945d509c94ddfa6e.jpeg

Good write up! That’s some solid feedback on a very reasonably price UT.

That’s a good write up. My first irons were from Hireko. They were Acer XS HTs. I needed help getting the ball in the air. I bought them with ridiculously heavy shafts because I had no clue what I was doing. They definitely helped me until I figured out how to properly strike the ball with irons. I still have them, but my SpeedBlades work much better.

I’ve toyed around with the idea of snagging another thing or two from Hireko but just haven’t pulled the trigger. Good to know somebody else has had success with their stuff.

Well, that didn't take long, I've had an itch to buy something new and I've never owned a driving iron before, so after reading these post and reviews on the Hireko site, I went ahead and ordered the 21 degree head and Apollo Acculite 95 steel shaft for a little over $30 including tax and shipping. That's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying another hybrid or fairway wood.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Debating the 21*. Have a white tie hybrid shaft that I need a head to put in. If there was a 23* or 25* it would already be ordered. Love my 7 wood though, so not sure this would fit in gap wise. Might be fun to play with for $15 regardless I guess. Hmmm...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Debating the 21*. Have a white tie hybrid shaft that I need a head to put in. If there was a 23* or 25* it would already be ordered. Love my 7 wood though, so not sure this would fit in gap wise. Might be fun to play with for $15 regardless I guess. Hmmm...

Just saw a 24* on ebay. The search is on...

Nice job on the write up. I never found a hybrid I fell in love with. When the utility irons came out from Wilson and Cobra I was interested but didn't want to take the $ plunge. I found that golf works had a head reasonably priced and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. At first it was just for tee duty on short par 4s but then I found I could hit it off the deck pretty good too. I've chipped with it when the pin and my approach end up the opposite ends of large greens as well. Pretty versatile club. As golfworks has dropped their offering it is good to know there is another option out there.

You can order it bent to 23° or 25° if that's what you want.

EDIT: Well, I thought you could, but I don't see the option on their site. It's worth asking though.

Last edited:
You can order it bent to 23° or 25° if that's what you want.

EDIT: Well, I thought you could, but I don't see the option on their site. It's worth asking though.
Found a 24* on Monark golf, it's on the way.

Thank you for the feedback. I hadn’t done one before and I felt like trying it out. I thought it would be a good club to do it with as no one had done one in a while and I have tried twice—unsuccessfully—to replace it at the store.

On a side note, I built the new ones I ordered, 18* and 21* with x-stiff graphite shafts. I will post pics later. They look pretty awesome. Simple, but awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the two new ones I built. Wanted to try graphite to maybe add a little distance.
f09bcec90bdbfcbf6c2eee75761c3cf6.jpg

I used smaller ferrules for aesthetics.
39858be989f250efab701e312fab495d.jpg

I bought some matrix shafts that were on sale on hireko’s site:
b7439bf50beeece7f621fab58454bb80.jpg

Nice job on the write up. I never found a hybrid I fell in love with. When the utility irons came out from Wilson and Cobra I was interested but didn't want to take the $ plunge. I found that golf works had a head reasonably priced and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. At first it was just for tee duty on short par 4s but then I found I could hit it off the deck pretty good too. I've chipped with it when the pin and my approach end up the opposite ends of large greens as well. Pretty versatile club. As golfworks has dropped their offering it is good to know there is another option out there.

I used to have a Driving Iron from GolfWorks, but I couldn’t get it airborne, or really strike it consistently. It was me, not the club.

I have the Dynacraft in 21* regular flex graphite. It lost its spot in my bag, if anyone wants to give it a bang, hit me up.

Head for here yesterday and the white tie shaft I have is the right size. Yay! :)

Well, that didn't take long, I've had an itch to buy something new and I've never owned a driving iron before, so after reading these post and reviews on the Hireko site, I went ahead and ordered the 21 degree head and Apollo Acculite 95 steel shaft for a little over $30 including tax and shipping. That's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying another hybrid or fairway wood.

So, I received my 21-degree head and shaft within 2 days of my order, I live locally so I'm sure that helped, since assembling the club, I've only been able to hit it at the range a couple of times due to a nagging knee injury, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, it seems much easier to hit than my 4-iron and has a somewhat muted sound and a nice feel to it. I just need to get it on my local course to see if there's a place for it in my bag.

Head for here yesterday and the white tie shaft I have is the right size. Yay! :)

Glued up and curing. Hoping this might be the answer to the tough par 3 at my course.

$15 for the 18* one. The ponder is on

I finally got my 21-degree driving iron on the course yesterday, I only used it on a few shots, but, I was not disappointed, I was always a little weary about the buying products from some of these smaller companies , but, this has definitely changed my mind about the quality, performance and value of some of these clubs. After seeing some higher-than-expected launch with the 21-degree, I'm actually considering trying the 18 degreed.

Have to get it cut and throw a grip on, but will be ready when I can get back on a LM Friday.
7e862c737380d77cb30847a522c903df.jpg
e54134663c8754d37896d07ae75f53d9.jpg

Just ordered the 18 degree with a UST Mamiya Competition Series shaft. Should have it on Monday. Hopefully I don't hook it like my 17 degree Hybrid I'm replacing.

I haven't had any issues at all with hooking the ball, but I used a steel shaft in my 21 degree driving iron, not sure if that makes a difference or not, but good luck.

Have to get it cut and throw a grip on, but will be ready when I can get back on a LM Friday.
7e862c737380d77cb30847a522c903df.jpg
e54134663c8754d37896d07ae75f53d9.jpg

Now that I've kind of remembered how to swing a golf club, I need to give this another try.

Back