2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know what I did, but my back is pretty sore today, making things rather uncomfortable. I was able to get my HIIT session in, but I think a few days off might be in order to rest up and regroup. Will be close on my goal, will have to see where I'm at after work to see what I need to do tonight to get where I need to be.
Sore where? Low back?

The lats are widespread and I think that's from doing pull downs yesterday, the mid back is more focused.

I know you're a tall SOB and are training in your basement, but presses are very different in stable shoes
Didn't do them last night but im going to get some in tonight. My upper is feeling pretty good. I have to watch for the lights and heating ducts but there's some places I can fully press down there haha!!

The lats are widespread and I think that's from doing pull downs yesterday, the mid back is more focused.

Congratulations, you're becoming a lifter . You're suffering from delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). The combination of extra deadlifts, lat pull-down, and a caloric deficit are all factors. The pulldowns are the cause of the soreness in the lats, the deadlifts caused the focused soreness. That's my guess. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Sore where? Low back?
Here is a picture as best as I can feel. The bottom one is steady focused discomfort (not pain), the uppers are just when I move.

317db56346707899b9544bcfcc598e3f.jpg

Here is a picture as best as I can feel. The bottom one is steady focused discomfort (not pain), the uppers are just when I move.

Give me a minute. I'll explain the reason for the bottom discomfort.

The reason for that bottom circle, the last step in the set up for the deadlift is to "squeeze the shoulders up". The cue that I like for that is "pull your lats into your back pockets". That region in the circle is the group that is responsible for that movement and holding that position during the lift. What you're feeling now is the result of the weight finally making you work. As you get stronger, that cluster and muscle/skeletal insertion point will get stronger.

The top circles are a result of two things pulling your scapulas together when squatting and bench pressing, and scapulas rotation down when doing pulldowns.

As long as there was no popping or immediate intense pain when lifting, if these spots of discomfort started today, then you're just getting stronger. if you continue to weight train, these feelings will become much less frequent and you will miss them, as odd as that sounds.

1600 meter run, 63 kettle bell sings, 36 pullups
800 meter run, 42 kettle bell swings, 24 pullups
400 meter run, 24 kettle bell swings, 12 pullups

Productive morning.

1600 meter run, 63 kettle bell sings, 36 pullups
800 meter run, 42 kettle bell swings, 24 pullups
400 meter run, 24 kettle bell swings, 12 pullups

Productive morning.

That's a lot of pullups sir. Impressive.

As for me, did an intense 30 minute bodyweight circuit yesterday. Nice solid burn.

That's a lot of pullups sir. Impressive.

As for me, did an intense 30 minute bodyweight circuit yesterday. Nice solid burn.

They were kipping pullups so it wasn't too bad. When we do 100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 air squats...that's a burner.

They were kipping pullups so it wasn't too bad. When we do 100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 air squats...that's a burner.
Crossfitt?

The reason for that bottom circle, the last step in the set up for the deadlift is to "squeeze the shoulders up". The cue that I like for that is "pull your lats into your back pockets". That region in the circle is the group that is responsible for that movement and holding that position during the lift. What you're feeling now is the result of the weight finally making you work. As you get stronger, that cluster and muscle/skeletal insertion point will get stronger.

The top circles are a result of two things pulling your scapulas together when squatting and bench pressing, and scapulas rotation down when doing pulldowns.

As long as there was no popping or immediate intense pain when lifting, if these spots of discomfort started today, then you're just getting stronger. if you continue to weight train, these feelings will become much less frequent and you will miss them, as odd as that sounds.
Glad it's a normal soreness and not a result of doing something wrong. Not sure I believe you that I'll ever miss this, but you haven't been wrong yet, so I guess I should.

Glad it's a normal soreness and not a result of doing something wrong. Not sure I believe you that I'll ever miss this, but you haven't been wrong yet, so I guess I should.
This time of your training life is the fastest you will get stronger. That soreness goes hand in hand with this period. I can't get stronger as fast as you can. That's what you will miss.

4 weeks into bootcamp and i'm really starting to see some benefits... Going to have to go suit shopping in a few weeks for new work clothes.

4 weeks into bootcamp and i'm really starting to see some benefits... Going to have to go suit shopping in a few weeks for new work clothes.
Good problem to have

I also get the upper circle soreness from hex bar deadlifting, I can feel the (rhomboids? anyways, inside my shoulder blades) pull hard as I come up even though I feel neutral there, ie, I don't feel I'm pulling up or shrugging or anything at all active above my lower back, which itself is just helping my hips get forward more than lifting 'up'.

I actually failed a 1RM hex DL last night, but I didn't feel bad about it as a) it was after 3 sets heavy triples b) my program didn't call for it c) I get another shot at it next week when my program DOES call for it. 250lbs, I didn't even budge it off the floor heh. I was sure I had it in me, and still think I do.

I'm having some lower back soreness, but it doesn't hurt when I'm doing something/anything, moreso when I'm sitting or lying down. I did as noted above DLs last night and it doesn't seem any worse today. And I'm super fussy about form with DLs (and most other stuff), no rounded back for me.

I also get the upper circle soreness from hex bar deadlifting, I can feel the (rhomboids? anyways, inside my shoulder blades) pull hard as I come up even though I feel neutral there, ie, I don't feel I'm pulling up or shrugging or anything at all active above my lower back, which itself is just helping my hips get forward more than lifting 'up'.

I actually failed a 1RM hex DL last night, but I didn't feel bad about it as a) it was after 3 sets heavy triples b) my program didn't call for it c) I get another shot at it next week when my program DOES call for it. 250lbs, I didn't even budge it off the floor heh. I was sure I had it in me, and still think I do.

I'm having some lower back soreness, but it doesn't hurt when I'm doing something/anything, moreso when I'm sitting or lying down. I did as noted above DLs last night and it doesn't seem any worse today. And I'm super fussy about form with DLs (and most other stuff), no rounded back for me.
Anytime a weight is pulled vertically off of the floor, the scapulas will rotate down and the muscles in the rhomboids will be engaged, to make sure your shoulders don't fall off. For lack of a better term.

Hey Joe when you overhead press does your chest point upwards at all or is it strictly facing forwards? When I press I notice even without looking up my chest points up a little, I think it's necessary but I want to make sure

Hey Joe when you overhead press does your chest point upwards at all or is it strictly facing forwards? When I press I notice even without looking up my chest points up a little, I think it's necessary but I want to make sure
Chest up.

This just happened...

ef58555aeb0ab663a6566b3fc1d8e4bd.jpg

Assuming I don't drink a ton of water overnight, I think I'm where I need to be, and I can't thank you all enough for the guidance and support to make it possible. Truly, you all mean the world to me, and we've only just begun.

This just happened...

ef58555aeb0ab663a6566b3fc1d8e4bd.jpg

Assuming I don't drink a ton of water overnight, I think I'm where I need to be, and I can't thank you all enough for the guidance and support to make it possible. Truly, you all mean the world to me, and we've only just begun.
Can I tell you to have a glass of red wine and call it a night? :D (congratulations BTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back