Not good enough for "Good" clubs...

NewGlfr

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I had some time and went to Dick's and demoed some, what I would call "good" clubs, vs. my Top Flite newbie clubs.

They were mostly drivers but also a variety of 7is as well.

I can tell you outright, I hit MUCH better with my newbie clubs. Especially with my Driver. I tried the TM M1, a Cobra Driver and a couple of other high end Drivers and couldn't get anywhere near what I can with my Top Flite Driver. I checked the Simulator for wind, etc, but wow, I found I perform much better with the newbie clubs.

I also tried out a bunch of 7is and did find that of the ones that I was hitting well and felt good with, it was all the lower priced ones.

I realize that this has to do with my being a beginner and that the higher end clubs aren't as forgiving, but they didn't feel good either. I also have no idea where the weights should be adjusted for my swing, but the M1 had them in the middle and at various places set up. I think I tried at least six different configurations on that one and all of them were terrible.

At what point are you "good" enough to start considering those high end clubs?

Hmm, what "good" clubs did you try? Shaft flex, and head type are probably the more important factors. Cavity back vs blades? Stiff shafts vs regular, or senior flex?

Since you mentioned the M1 for the driver, that would make me think that they were stock fit with stiff, lightweight shafts. Some people don't prefer that, and /or it doesn't work for their swing. Also, the lower angled clubfaces are less forgiving, less loft = less spin and less forgiveness. What degree heads were you hitting?

Forgot to mention, you are probably referring to Forged irons - they can feel clunky off the head, as opposed to non-forged. I switched over last year and it took some getting used to, they are heavier, but so solid...

Ummm, who are you talking too?

There is huge difference between being comfortable and not being 'good' enough to play certain clubs. Dicks carries a heavier variety of game improvement ckub than they do players clubs. You're just comfortable with your clubs and hit balls on a whim does not make for a good decision making process.

As you progress within the game, you will know. It will be a club your buddy has, or word of mouth. You'll be drawn to hit ut. You may even like it. As you get better, you'll hear words like 'tech' 'wha'chu you need', 'forgiveness'. These words will speak to you and you will try and buy new clubs

Hmm, what "good" clubs did you try? Shaft flex, and head type are probably the more important factors. Cavity back vs blades? Stiff shafts vs regular, or senior flex?

Since you mentioned the M1 for the driver, that would make me think that they were stock fit with stiff, lightweight shafts. Some people don't prefer that, and /or it doesn't work for their swing. Also, the lower angled clubfaces are less forgiving, less loft = less spin and less forgiveness. What degree heads were you hitting?

Wow, that's a lot of stuff I didn't even consider! Still a newbie, lol. I have A LOT to learn and read about. Thanks for the info.

Ummm, who are you talking too?

There is huge difference between being comfortable and not being 'good' enough to play certain clubs. Dicks carries a heavier variety of game improvement ckub than they do players clubs. You're just comfortable with your clubs and hit balls on a whim does not make for a good decision making process.

As you progress within the game, you will know. It will be a club your buddy has, or word of mouth. You'll be drawn to hit ut. You may even like it. As you get better, you'll hear words like 'tech' 'wha'chu you need', 'forgiveness'. These words will speak to you and you will try and buy new clubs
:alien::bulgy-eyes:

Wow, that's a lot of stuff I didn't even consider! Still a newbie, lol. I have A LOT to learn and read about. Thanks for the info.
It's not so important at this point, like tadashi said - keep playing with what you like, but definitely ask questions at local golf shops and learn as much as you'd like! Cheers

This is something I constantly think about too. I want the newest and best stuff but I constantly go back and forth on if I should have that. I would love to have the King LTD or the M1 in my bag for a long time but I am not sure if that is something that will help me. Would I be better off buying a cheaper driver (d200, Srixon 355, or bridgestone 815) and taking the last 200 bucks I am saving for a lesson. I always laugh because when I started playing again in the spring, I was blaming my clubs for me sucking, but not that I have nicer clubs I can't really do that anymore. Reality hit hard for me.
I have been buying a lot of clubs used or really discounted because I dont have a huge budget and feel like I dont have the game for brand new clubs. My driver and 2 of my wedges are the only clubs I have bought new this year and the driver has been replaced by a used bridgestone I found on ebay for 40 bucks. I just bought a Vseries 3 wood and V series heavenwood for a combined $130 bucks off ebay. My Z545 irons I got for $275 off ebay. That for me has been enjoyable because I am getting good clubs but am not paying crazy amounts of money for them. Plus if my swing evolves like I hope it will, then I can always tinker with my clubs and I am not out a ton of money.
I would really check the shaft type (stiff/regular) because that would be a difference. I was swinging a stiff flex club and couldnt hit it, then I switched to a regular stiff and it was so much better. Also a big thing for me is that when I start swinging a new club in a simulator to test it out, it will take me a couple of swings to get used to it. It makes it even harder because my consistency with hitting the sweet spot on every swing is not very good so that makes it tougher to get a good read on certain clubs. Their is a lot of talk on here about things like ball speed and spin rates.
I think the new technology can help you with more forgiveness but you just have to find clubs that fit you and your swing.

There is a NewGlfr and a nwgolfr. Threw me for a loop when I first opened the thread.

Same here. I was really confused at first.

There is a NewGlfr and a nwgolfr. Threw me for a loop when I first opened the thread.
I just noticed that, I thought the OP was answering his own questions.

that what we golfers do - buy new gear all the time even though our old gear works just fine (or better)

:laughing:

That would be a lonely, lonely thread

You guys must have had quite the laugh

Same here. I was really confused at first.
Count me in as well. I noticed the two similar names earlier in the week and this one still threw me for a loop.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That is why getting fit for clubs is crucial. Just picking a club off the rack a banging away is not going to tell you very much.

...glad I wasn't the only one reading and re-reading... and reading again...

anyway, back to the original subject... I think this is something all golfers go through early on. This struggle to avoiding buying into all of the hype around new gear and not spending time on the fundamentals of the swing or their own game. I am just as guilty, jumping from my R7's into the i25's I game now. It probably set me back, but humbled me in a way that has taught me a valuable lesson along the way and that is that no equipment can replace coaching when looking for a better game. It's not about what is in your bag, it's about the number of strokes in the end.

Same here, and was confused as to how he managed to switch his avatar between replies. :bulgy-eyes: I blame it on the lack of sleep last night tending to a sick kiddo ...

I though about this when I attended #staffproto last week. We got to demo the F5 series drivers, woods, hybrids and irons. Now these are a better player series and I thought they were way above my skill. I mentioned this to Doug Thiel (Wilson Golf Director of Marketing) and he begged to differ. I hit the driver and 3 wood better than any other clubs I've tried or owned. I was amazed.
So I guess if they feel good, you hit them well and get into something that offers forgiveness as well as control, then I wouldn't limit yourself to what you perceive to be within your skill level.
Of course no club can mask glaring swing faults. It's important to get those fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I though about this when I attended #staffproto last week. We got to demo the F5 series drivers, woods, hybrids and irons. Now these are a better player series and I thought they were way above my skill. I mentioned this to Doug Thiel (Wilson Golf Director of Marketing) and he begged to differ. I hit the driver and 3 wood better than any other clubs I've tried or owned. I was amazed.
So I guess if they feel good, you hit them well and get into something that offers forgiveness as well as control, then I wouldn't limit yourself to what you perceive to be within your skill level.
Of course no club can mask glaring swing faults. It's important to get those fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally agree on the feel related to skill level issue. The driver in my bag is a few years older and considered not to be very forgiving in comparison to newer models and other manufacturers. But I hit almost 80% of fairways with it my last two times out... my previous best for FIR was 45%. I have so much confidence now on the tee, it's fantastic. So if you find a club that just simply works for you & your swing, don't question or second guess it. Just go play it.

Same here, and was confused as to how he managed to switch his avatar between replies. :bulgy-eyes: I blame it on the lack of sleep last night tending to a sick kiddo ...
Alright, this is even starting to confuse me, how do I change my name? Would PNWgolfer be more fitting? Mods?!

Sorry I'm not trying to threadjack, please continue on

Alright, this is even starting to confuse me, how do I change my name? Would PNWgolfer be more fitting? Mods?!
Send a PM to GolferGal she can change it for you. Give her a couple options in case one is taken. Maybe NorthWestGolfer and add your favorote number behind it.

The more you play and get involved with the game you will eventually want new clubs and at that point you will know a few features your looking for then go and hit everything you can and get fit. Golf isn't about impressing people with what you have in the bag it's about enjoying the game and everything it offers. Have fun playing the Top Flights..... for now THP has been known to causing a decrease in your bank account.

Nobody's too bad or too good for good clubs out there. That said, you need to have a fairly consistent swing for you to get fitted, so like some guys say, work on your swing first before you get serious with gear.

I did the reverse and needless to say I spent a lot of unnecessary money. And I had to "bury" some of my clubs to prevent having a truckload of clubs at home.

But once you have a good, consistent swing, be careful of what you wish for. Golf clubs and other gear can be as addicting as Crack.

THP to me sometimes feels like the golf counterpart of AAA, but we're here to help each other, and make wise decisions because golf clubs aren't cheap.

Back