My First Year at THP.....

Ottawaclo

#THPFunkoFam
Reaction score
Handicap
Titos
Just wanted to take a few minutes to type up some thoughts on my first year here at THP. I literally found the place while google searching for golfing children charities and once I saw the details of the Albatross Club……I signed up and donated right away. It was such a random thing for me to find THP but I have to thank the obvious history of the site and forums as it literally was above the fold on the first page of my google search. Little did I actually know the depth and broad reach THP had.

As with everyone, I made a post in the welcome area and off I went. As I lurked and read up on old threads I could not believe what I was reading……I mean literally no one had anything bad to say about anyone. I wanted to call BS on so many threads….I mean not EVERYONE could speak only good things about the admins and staff on a FORUM on the INTERNET……no way.

Sure enough I was proven wrong and immediately was bummed to miss out on my first THP outing when the Northern Illinois guys met up at Top Golf. From there I promised myself that I would sign up for every event I could and my credit card (and wife) could yell at me later.

But from there I did see the biggest loser contest being ran by @OITW and immediately jumped on that as the winter months are hard on my gut. I got to know Alex a little bit from that and that was a really fun way to start my interacting with some of the THP folks

I was lucky enough to get into the Regional Rivalry and even synced up with @Pjtimes84 so that he could ride along with me on I80 and go to this event. This was a great experience and I did a full write up on that post event but I want to restate that from the moment we met @Rallo in the parking lot and ended up winning the event for our captain @McRock….it was nothing but good times. Thank you to everyone in this event for making my first THP event so memorable and big ups to @Pringles for crushing life in general. I will defer to my original post about RR about my full experience there.

Coming back from that RR event I was completely hooked on trying to get into every THP event. The Budget Golf Sweep was in my backyard and man was I bummed to miss out on that one but so pumped to watch it go down. Just amazing that an internet golfer got to walk into a warehouse and just grab as many items as they could in a timed setting. Just mind blowing that one for sure.

I was however lucky enough to get selected for the Callaway Hype event. I had traded my Taylormade M2 irons before the season started for some Callaway CF16’s so I was pumped up to get picked for a Callaway event. After the lucky selection it was imperative that I figured out travel. Well after the cost of the event and obviously additional food and drink……I knew I had to drive to save some money. This was right in the middle of the fiscal year for me and we were right in the middle of paying off my daughters medical deductible so the credit card took the hit…..and I hit the road.

The farthest I have ever driven to play golf was literally a few months before this for the Regional Rivalry in Iowa…….but driving from Northern Illinois to Massachusetts was another animal….that I instantly regretted but also wear with a badge of honor…as weird as that sounds.

The HYPE event was simply worth the drive. The golf was secondary to meeting Jason Finley, Velardo, AJ (Who was a surprise dinner guest) and all the New England THPers. Everyone was simply amazing to talk to, drink some cold ones with and it was all topped off with the announcement at the end of the event of the next Granddaddy participant.

Full disclosure here…….I joined on January 13[SUP]th[/SUP]………literally a few weeks after the GD event so I missed all the live posting and what not. But I did go back to that thread and tried to get as much info on the Callaway guys as I could. I did not want to drive that far just to embarrass myself or THP.

Those concerns were immediately put to the side as I stayed in the same hotel as @The_Dude and @Haso and met the rest of the guys soon after.

@Kenomikes, @Mpeterson, @Jaymo37, @OITW @Scarnici and @dwmorin were the lucky folks picked and there was not one Richard among the guys.

The meals were legit, the company was good and oh ya….we got to tour the Callaway Ball Plant…which was simply amazing.

Although I drove 230932093209 hours and choked in my matchup with Finley, I cannot speak highly enough of Jason and Velardo who I played with during this event. These Callaway guys were just awesome folks and its amazing the stuff they do with THP.

I was starting to realize why I could not find any negativity towards THP when I first joined…..there was not any to be found!

Quick final note on the Hype event…..when I knew I was out of the running for the GD selection I made it a point to record the reveal and man am I glad. I wish my wife would look at me like those guys were looking at Jason and JB during the moments before the reveal. It was something else.

The immediate reaction from @haso when his name was called is something I will never forget.

Like to give him and @The_Dude another special shout out as they continue to reach out here and there to check on me and ask how the daughter is doing. Very appreciated.

After the HYPE event I had to take a break from THP and the forums as once I got back to Illinois I was slammed at work. One of my best workers broke her ankle and from there it was all downhill in terms of free time.

My daughter also struggled somewhat this summer and that led to even work taking a backseat for awhile.

Once things settled after a few months I hopped back on only to see that I missed another Budget Golf event in the THP Championship and the GrandDaddy all filled up. Was a little bummed about that but man was the rest of the year a great follow.

There are no words for the Granddaddy and that is coming from someone who followed it for the very first time this past year. I can’t even imagine the emotions from the guys that participated. Just awesome.

December brought on the Secret Santa signups and man was that fun. Everyday I would check the forums for reveals and in nervous anticipation for how my recipient would react to what I purchased. Just a great great thing ran by Erik.

Kudos to him and all the THP guys that volunteer to run these unofficial events.

I know I am leaving a ton of stuff out but there is SOOOOO much that I could type for the next 3 hours and still leave some stuff out.

I want to end with thanking @JB and his wife for running this amazing site. They were very kind during my first couple months and allowed me to post a link to sell some Nike Polos with my daughters name on them to help with medical bills. HUGE thank you to them for that and a HUGE THANK YOU to all those that purchased one. Very much appreciated.

Year 2 for me is Year 10 for the site and man you can already tell its going to be a year long celebration.

I look forward to how all these events will change peoples lives and how much joy @JB and @GolferGal bring to those that participate not only in the events, but the ride-a-long on the forums for them.

Thank you to all the staff at THP as well. The product reviews and just awesome positivity of the forums is vastly underrated but appreciated.

So with that said I will raise a diet coke and give a virtual toast to everyone for allowing me to feel welcome and a part of something special during these past twelve months.

THANK YOU!!

Fantastic write-up sir. It was a pleasure to meet you at the Regional Rivalry in Iowa.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fantastic write-up sir. It was a pleasure to meet you at the Regional Rivalry in Iowa.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks and I should have linked my post for that event here. Was just a great first event for me.....soooo much fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great review. Hopefully we’ll cross paths at TopGolf or other events in our region. While I don’t have the same amount of time with THP, so far, I definitely agree with the collegiality and genuine “want to help/contribute” attitude of this group. I’ve been on other golf sites, and grew tired of the bickering and other negative attitudes. Golf is supposed to be fun - even when it isn’t. But the challenge and (hopeful) rewards are what bring us back to chase the ball around the course. This place gets it!

Great write-up sir. It was great meeting you at the RR, and we will have to get another round in this summer.

Love the write up buddy. It was great meeting you at HYPE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great post Chris, I hope we get to meet at a THP event in 2018

Fun is what we strive to accomplish. Glad you could ride along with me at RR.

And I still think it's insane you drove to Massachusetts.

~Rock

Nice Read! this is a great example of guys who take full advantage of what the site has to offer.

Great review. Hopefully we’ll cross paths at TopGolf or other events in our region. While I don’t have the same amount of time with THP, so far, I definitely agree with the collegiality and genuine “want to help/contribute” attitude of this group. I’ve been on other golf sites, and grew tired of the bickering and other negative attitudes. Golf is supposed to be fun - even when it isn’t. But the challenge and (hopeful) rewards are what bring us back to chase the ball around the course. This place gets it!

Great write-up sir. It was great meeting you at the RR, and we will have to get another round in this summer.

Love the write up buddy. It was great meeting you at HYPE.

great post Chris, I hope we get to meet at a THP event in 2018

Fun is what we strive to accomplish. Glad you could ride along with me at RR.

And I still think it's insane you drove to Massachusetts.

~Rock

Nice Read! this is a great example of guys who take full advantage of what the site has to offer.

Thanks guys for taking the time to read and look forward to playing with all of you(again) at some point!!

Well said Chris!!! Don’t have much more to add, you covered all the great aspects of THP.

A forum is only as good as the people who call it home. That’s why this place is the best.

There are many stories like yours, that is for sure! Amazing place isn't it!

There are many stories like yours, that is for sure! Amazing place isn't it!

Well said Chris!!! Don’t have much more to add, you covered all the great aspects of THP.

A forum is only as good as the people who call it home. That’s why this place is the best.

100% on both posts. Thanks guys for reading

Outstanding summary of your first year and you had a helluva year!

Very impressive first year. I'm still waiting to join the HOF.

That awesome man! You really embraced what THP is about this year and made the most of it. That's something I regret about my first couple years on the forum, I spent way too much time just lurking. The last couple years have been amazing and be made some lifelong friends through THP.

Fantastic example of making the best of this site. I always tell people that THP will be what you make it. You sure took advantage of everything your first year =)

Great write up and recap of your first year on THP.

Sounds like a pretty awesome year! Glad to see newbies embrace THP from the get-go. It’s a great place to be, and glad to be here.

Thank you kind sir. I hope we get to tee it up again at some point. I still remember you asking to ride with us at Hype. "Yea, I'm kinda beat." Long hauler award for the ages. I hope all is well with your little girl. Nothing more important than our children.
Talk to you soon brother.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great write up! I'm basically where you were a year ago, I just kind of fell into THP decide the AC was a great cause and donated and 16ish days in I'm impressed. Obviously haven't made any events, but I would love to one day!

Great write up! Heck of a first year for you.

Great 1 year recap. Reminds me of my own. Glad this place is what you want it to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not too shabby huh?? So glad I had the chance to meet you at Hype, and seeing you have fun and enjoy the event even though you weren't playing as well as you would like to says a ton about you and your character! Hopefully I can get out your way one of these days and we can get a round in together!

Back