Cobra KING Black Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New wedges hitting stores soon and here is a quick look at them and we will have much more coming from the PGA Show on these over the next couple of days.

The Press Release
Cobra Golf, a leader in golf club innovation and technology, today introduced its new KING Black and KING Black ONE Length Wedges. Both feature a sleek Dimonized Black Metal (DBM) finish, a revolutionary metal coating technology for the ultimate in durability. The wedges incorporate COBRA's patented Progressive Spin Technology, delivering the perfect blend of versatility and precision around the greens.

The KING Black Wedges utilize an 8620 Carbon Steel construction and DBM finish which was developed at one of COBRA's forging foundry's. This proprietary finish results in a premium black satin look that diffuses light and lasts longer than any other black finish - the result is longer-lasting, better looking wedges with a confidence-inspiring appearance at address. This is the same finish used on Rickie Fowler's Tour irons for the past few years. The KING Black Wedges will also feature COBRA CONNECT technology, working in conjunction with the Arccos 360 mobile application, to provide golfers with detailed stats and data that helps them dial in their wedge game, track their performance and improve their scoring faster.

The new KING Black Wedge face (MAP $149) is manufactured using COBRA's cutting-edge, patented CNC milling process that allows each groove to be shaped with maximum precision, resulting in more accuracy, and highly-consistent spin performance. The wedge utilizes COBRA's patented Progressive Spin Technology to provide tailored spin performance for each wedge loft. Progressive groove constructions feature wider, shallower grooves on weaker lofted wedges (56, 58, 60) and narrow, tighter spaced grooves on stronger lofted wedges (50, 52, 54) for optimized spin and trajectory for various shots executions around the green. Each wedge face is also CNC milled to deliver optimized Variable Face Roughness (VFR), which allows Cobra engineers to maximize both RA (average roughness) and RY (max peak-to-peak depth) to the USGA limit, delivering more control and precision on finesse shots.

The KING Black Wedge is available in COBRA's three sole grind configurations allowing golfers the ability to choose the perfect wedge for their game and for any turf condition. Each unique sole grind has its own set of advantages: the Versatile sole features a softened leading edge with heel and toe relief and a medium bounce (8-10*) to provide more shot versatility on medium to firm turf conditions. The Classic grind features a thinner sole, higher bounce (11-12*) and a progressively wider sole from heel to toe for ease of use on all turf conditions. The WideLow grind offers a wide sole with low bounce (4-7*) that serves as an excellent all around wedge perfect for medium to soft turf conditions. A taller, muscle back design positions more mass directly behind the hitting zone and damps vibrations for a soft, yet solid feel at impact. The topline features a subtle chamfer to create a thinner topline which is the look preferred by COBRA's Tour players.

The KING Black Wedges, available in RH/LH in lofts ranging from 50-60O (available in select grinds) will hit retail March 2, 2018, and come standard with a True Temper S200 (Stiff) shaft that features a matte black Powder Coat finish, and Lamkin ACE Crossline grips with COBRA CONNECT.

An exciting addition to the COBRA wedge family is the KING Black ONE Wedge (MAP $149) to compliment the brands ONE Length iron and hybrid offerings, delivering ultimate consistency and simplicity that allows golfers to utilize one setup and one swing. To achieve optimum performance at 7-iron length and swing weight, the KING Black ONE Wedge features a 1o flatter lie angle than the standard, variable length wedge to help produce straighter and more accurate trajectories on shorter approach shots in a one length set up. The KING Black ONE Wedge (RH/LH) is available in 56 O and 60 O and comes standard with a True Temper S200 matte black Powder Coat finish shaft in stiff and a Lamkin ACE Crossline COBRA CONNECT Grip in blue/red.

Cobra%20Black-L.jpg

Those look good. I expect we’ll see quite a few in THPer bags after the Morgan Cup.

They look great. It's cool that they are rounding out their lineup by offering these in One Length.

I think the black powder coated shaft is a nice addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I actually really like that the wedges come with Cobra Connect, as I think that could be a big benefit to those who want to study their tendencies. We all hear about how the short game is the fastest way to lower one's score. Also, it started a couple of years ago, but I LOVE that companies are working to make the black finish retain that look longer.

Ohh myyy......58 King Black One in 58* with the matte black shaft....this will probably happen!

these look great. i would like to try the classic grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like how this one looks a lot. I really want to give the one length setup a shot at some point, and I love that you have some choices in the wedge area now.

These look and sound very impressive.

I really like what Cobra is doing this year. Seem to have a great lineup top to bottom. This wedge is no exception. Hopefully they got that black finish to last longer because it is certainly nice!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know people see the black finish and immediately think about the PVD black that gets screwed up by the second round but the DBM is the strongest finish in golf. Plus it's not a finish over the milled face,, it's into the metal so the grooves stay as sharp as milled and are not chrome coated.

Nice looking wedge!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Cobra bringing the heat this year. Really liking the way that these look and I think Cobra Connect is a feature that many are going to like in the wedges as well as the rest of the lineup

I really like what Cobra is doing this year. Seem to have a great lineup top to bottom. This wedge is no exception. Hopefully they got that black finish to last longer because it is certainly nice!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Using some new coating it sounds like, will be interesting to see if it can hold up for sure. (Both feature a sleek Dimonized Black Metal (DBM) finish, a revolutionary metal coating technology for the ultimate in durability.)

Cobra has seemed to make some great strides the last few years with their wedges. I like what I am reading about the progressive groove construction along with the different grind options.

Well HELLO there!!! I wasn’t really crazy about Cobra’s wedge offering in the past but Fup got me to change that thought based on his love for the PUR and now these babies look like something I’d really enjoy!! Can’t wait to try them myself!

Oh my...the black finish with the black shaft....what a combo. They looks so "down to business". Great addition to the wedge lineup.....thanks Cobra.

Really like the looks of these

Jaw drop. Full jaw drop here.

Those J15s are in trouble.

Very exciting stuff. The MC guys are going to have some awesome and tough choices to make.

Oooooooo! Me likey. I played Adams irons with a black finish for a long time and loved the look of them. I use club head covers so only the face wears on my irons and I never had an issue with the black finish coming off and looking bad.

Damn it! I JUST ordered the old satin ones last week.

These look slick.

Oh my! Wow love it I have liked the looks of Cobra for a while but never hit one.

Pics in the PGA Show thead look pretty nice.

Great looking wedge and more Cobra Connect action!

Really good looking wedge there.

Back