Graphene in a Golf Ball

I game Chrome Soft's so i'm not bashing on any of it other than it's a jump in price that most won't see the benefit of the new tech added.

I’ve got a 2018 CS and CSx ball that I was given by Cobrax51. I’ll do a bit of on course testing after the PGA show and post what I can find as far as distance etc.

The graphene is in the outer core, which is allowing them to make the inner core larger.
Thanks, so I did misunderstand. I'll go back to my corner and listen.

I’ve got a 2018 CS and CSx ball that I was given by Cobrax51. I’ll do a bit of on course testing after the PGA show and post what I can find as far as distance etc.

I look forward to your findings. :)

Pumped that they keep striving to improve what has been a great ball. Looking forward to trying these out as I gamed the two prior versions of Chrome Soft exclusively and LOVE them. Intrigued by the new larger inner core and supposed extra carry in the middle of the bag.

Whatever it is it works. The crazy thing is that I experienced the exact benefits of this new material before I knew what the new tech was. Game changer!

I'm looking forward to seeing the performance difference and feel myself.

Anyone else getting a weird Tapatalk link? Web view sends to correct link.. TT sends to a 2009 ball review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nobel prize in a golf ball, how cool!

As excited as Callaway is about this new material and the effect on Chrome Soft balls definitely gets me excited to want to try them.

The graphene is in the outer core, which is allowing them to make the inner core larger.
But the outer core isn't the cover, is it? There is the cover, the outer core, then the inner core.

But the outer core isn't the cover, is it? There is the cover, the outer core, then the inner core.

I believe in this case there is the cover, an outer layer, then the outer core and the inner core.

I'm not going to be a pessimist on this one, the feedback from the Grandaddy guys and those who got balls in to test all being positive tells me what I need to know, that I need to try them.

I'm not going to be a pessimist on this one, the feedback from the Grandaddy guys and those who got balls in to test all being positive tells me what I need to know, that I need to try them.

Me too. I think the highest praise equipment wise during the entire Grandaddy was for the golf ball. I’m excited to try it

In the event some think Callway's graphene claims are partly marketing. From explainthatstuff.com

So what exactly is graphene?

The remarkable thing about graphene is that its crystalline structure is two-dimensional. In other words, the atoms in graphene are laid out flat, like billiard balls on a table. Each layer is made of hexagonal "rings" of carbon (like lots of benzene rings connected together, only with more carbon atoms replacing the hydrogen atoms around the edge), giving a honeycomb-like appearance. Since the layers themselves are just one atom high, you'd need a stack of about three million of these layers to make graphene 1mm thick!

Strength and stiffness

If you've ever scribbled with a soft pencil (something like a 4B), you'll know that graphite is horribly soft. That's because the carbon layers inside a stick of graphite shave off very easily. But the atoms within those layers are very tightly bonded so, like carbon nanotubes (and unlike graphite), graphene is super-strong—even stronger than diamond! Graphene is believed to be the strongest material yet discovered, some 200 times stronger than steel. Remarkably, it's both stiff and elastic (like rubber), so you can stretch it by an amazing amount (20-25 percent of its original length) without it breaking. That's because the flat planes of carbon atoms in graphene can flex relatively easily without the atoms breaking apart.

No-one knows quite what to do with graphene's super-strong properties, but one likely possibility is mixing it with other materials (such as plastics) to make composites that are stronger and tougher, but also thinner and lighter, than any materials we have now. Imagine an energy-saving car with super-strong, super-thin, super-light plastic body panels reinforced with graphene; that's the kind of object we might envisage appearing in a future turned upside down by this amazing material!

Thinness and lightness

Something that's only one atom thick is bound to be pretty light. Apparently, you could cover a football field with a sheet of graphene weighing less than a gram—although it's pretty unlikely anyone has actually tried! According to my quick calculations, that means if you could cover the entire United States with graphene, you'd only need a mass of around 1500–2000 tons. That might sound a lot, but it's only about as much as about 1500 cars—and it's completely covering one of the world's biggest countries!

so the balls last longer? I guess the next guy who finds my lost balls will be happy ;)

The way I took it “looking at a rendering of a cut away” the material is under the outer cover, so I assume it won’t be making them more durable in that manner.

The way I understand it and I could be wrong, is Graphene is the mesh looking material.
6e89f08886c3ffc979970199b12085db.jpg

No-one knows quite what to do with graphene's super-strong properties, but one likely possibility is mixing it with other materials (such as plastics) to make composites that are stronger and tougher, but also thinner and lighter, than any materials we have now. Imagine an energy-saving car with super-strong, super-thin, super-light plastic body panels reinforced with graphene; that's the kind of object we might envisage appearing in a future turned upside down by this amazing material!
This is something that is mentioned in Callaway's patent, and in addition to allowing for a large inner core (which could definitely affect performance), they've said that they believe that it will help manufacturing. I'm sure that golf ball QC is pretty stringent, but this could kick it up a notch. Claims made in a patent, and performance seen on the course (along with the accompanying marketing), don't need to be identical.

Agreed!!

The Chrome Soft Truvis is my gamer so I am really anxious to try these especially after the feedback from the Grandaddy participants.

The way I understand it and I could be wrong, is Graphene is the mesh looking material.
6e89f08886c3ffc979970199b12085db.jpg

I believe the graphene would be the red part in the graphic, the larger and stronger the core of the golf ball is the higher the ballspeed it will produce.

I believe the graphene would be the red part in the graphic, the larger and stronger the core of the golf ball is the higher the ballspeed it will produce.
The graphene is an incredibly thin layer and is the mesh in the illustration. The red is the larger soft fast core.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You would think they would have labeled the drawing.

The graphene is an incredibly thin layer and is the mesh in the illustration. The red is the larger soft fast core.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This ^^^^

Graphene is incredibly light and thin - 2 dimensional - it allows Callaway to make a larger core (the red section).

I attempted to explain "What is graphene" in a preceding post to supplement Callaway so people know it's more than marketing.

Back