Graphene in a Golf Ball

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
To say they're a little excited about this ball is an understatement.

Pretty cool concept. Looking forward to trying them out on the course.

Now that I know what Graphene is and what it is for I really want to try the new ball!

Interesting for sure. Need to try them out.

I am not sure I fully understand the technology, but is the idea behind the harder outer core and the softer inner core you compress the ball more with the driver lowering the spin, but progressively less with irons giving it more spin?

There is a tech guy video on Callaway's home page that talks about and does a good job of explaining how the Graphine layer allows them to have a larger center core and how that impacts performance.

Graphene in a Golf Ball

Callaway is really amping things up lately. I like it.and I’ve never really been a huge Callaway fan until recently.

Graphene in a Golf Ball

Just did a little reading after watching the video. Very interesting stuff “graphene”. One website said that graphene is “the strongest material in the world”. It conducts heat and electricity very well. It is very lightweight and thin. Etc. fascinating stuff

Nobel Prize and golf balls. Who knew?

Really cool segment and extremely informative.

Anyone else getting a weird Tapatalk link? Web view sends to correct link.. TT sends to a 2009 ball review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else getting a weird Tapatalk link? Web view sends to correct link.. TT sends to a 2009 ball review

I did, but I ended up going through the app

It’s a known issue with tapatalk.

Tapatalk’s being tapatalk, been that way for a while unfortunately

Yes, it is a tapatalk issue that unfortunately happens from time to time. Have to use web view in these cases

Tapatalk’s being tapatalk, been that way for a while unfortunately

Tapatalk just loves those 09 Nike balls

Here is the patent: https://www.google.com/patents/US9789366

The primary purpose of the present invention is to improve durability of golf ball core by incorporation of graphene in the core to improve the impact strength of the ball. This benefit can be seen in either a ball with single piece core, or a dual core with an outer core firmer than the inner core. Improved durability of the core by using graphene can result in higher mean time to fail (MTTF) upon repeated impact in a high speed testing device, or with a golf club in normal play.

Another objective is to improve aging properties due to the incorporation of graphene in the core for better retention of compression and COR over time.​

so the balls last longer? I guess the next guy who finds my lost balls will be happy ;)

so the balls last longer? I guess the next guy who finds my lost balls will be happy ;)
Yeah, their two primary patent claims don't really - as far as I see - impact the weekend hacker much. You're going to lose your ball well before the golf ball fails (which happens more often than not, regardless of the brand), and this is the core ... not the cover ... so hitting the cart path or tree is still going to send it to the shag bag. The second claim seems to claim (if I'm reading it right) that they'll have a longer shelf life as well.

One of the initial paragraphs of the patent talks about how graphene mixed in with thermoplastic polymers can create a shorter, more uniform curing time. Which means they can make more product while having high quality assurance.

Nice spot Fup, the Grandaddy boys were in for a treat getting the chance to play these and it sounds like Callaway improved upon what was already a very very solid offering.

Yeah, their two primary patent claims don't really - as far as I see - impact the weekend hacker much. You're going to lose your ball well before the golf ball fails (which happens more often than not, regardless of the brand), and this is the core ... not the cover ... so hitting the cart path or tree is still going to send it to the shag bag. The second claim seems to claim (if I'm reading it right) that they'll have a longer shelf life as well.

One of the initial paragraphs of the patent talks about how graphene mixed in with thermoplastic polymers can create a shorter, more uniform curing time. Which means they can make more product while having high quality assurance.
It will because they are going to charge more per dozen for them. The hacker won't see a dif in playability most likely but they will in their wallet. :(

It will because they are going to charge more per dozen for them. The hacker won't see a dif in playability most likely but they will in their wallet. :(

From the feedback of 12 golfers, as well as the couple times I’ve put it in play, that is not accurate.

But hey, try them for yourself when available and put it heads up against your ball, see what happens, then post your findings. Worst that happens is you hate it right? I would be surprised if you weren’t able to find just a sleeve of each so you weren’t out the full price.

Yeah, their two primary patent claims don't really - as far as I see - impact the weekend hacker much. You're going to lose your ball well before the golf ball fails (which happens more often than not, regardless of the brand), and this is the core ... not the cover[\B] ... so hitting the cart path or tree is still going to send it to the shag bag. The second claim seems to claim (if I'm reading it right) that they'll have a longer shelf life as well.

Unless I misunderstood, the clip with Jason he said this was going in the cover to make it thinner but still durable to allow for a larger core.

From the feedback of 12 golfers, as well as the couple times I’ve put it in play, that is not accurate.

But hey, try them for yourself when available and put it heads up against your ball, see what happens, then post your findings. Worst that happens is you hate it right? I would be surprised if you weren’t able to find just a sleeve of each so you weren’t out the full price.

I game Chrome Soft's so i'm not bashing on any of it other than it's a jump in price that most won't see the benefit of the new tech added.

Unless I misunderstood, the clip with Jason he said this was going in the cover to make it thinner but still durable to allow for a larger core.

The graphene is in the outer core, which is allowing them to make the inner core larger.

Back