Proper putting etiquette?

Phfat

Reaction score
Handicap
30 or so..
One point of etiquette on the golf course that I do not quite get the hang of is where to stand when someone else is putting. Stand behind them? On their strong-hand side? Completely off the putting surface? Thanks.

IME as long as you're not standing so close that you're in their peripheral vision when they're over the ball, you're ok. Pick a spot near your ball and far enough away from them. Stand still when they're ready to play and you should be good. One other thing to keep in mind if you're out early or late in the day is making sure your shadow is out of their putting line.

IME as long as you're not standing so close that you're in their peripheral vision when they're over the ball, you're ok. Pick a spot near your ball and far enough away from them. Stand still when they're ready to play and you should be good. One other thing to keep in mind if you're out early or late in the day is making sure your shadow is out of their putting line.

^^^^ This is a great answer.

John's answer covers most of it.

For myself, as long as you're not standing on my line behind me I'm usually fine.

The most important green etiquette in my opinion is to look over your putt ASAP, you don't have to wait for every person to putt out first. So many times I see people standing on the green and watching each person line up there shots, putt it in and then start their process. Soon as you hit the green start your process and when it's your turn, give it a quick final look and go. I've learned over the years using this method gives me way more time to read my putts and I'm a much better putter for it.

One point of etiquette on the golf course that I do not quite get the hang of is where to stand when someone else is putting. Stand behind them? On their strong-hand side? Completely off the putting surface? Thanks.

My rule of thumb is stay out of their sight line or peripheral vision. Now if you are tending the pin, that's ok.

I usually try to stand behind the person or if my ball is not on the same side of the green with them, I stand where I think it's not bothering them. Also pay attention to where your shadow is so it doesn't interfere.

If I'm putting I want everyone else reading their putt, putter in hand, ready to go as soon as my ball leaves the putter.
I don't care if you're in my peripheral, behind me, beside me, in front of me etc. Heck you can be doing the Polka for all I care. It's a casual round of golf and my putting is so bad it won't be affected by other people more than me.

That said, I will always try to abide by whatever a fellow player wants out of respect as long as he doesn't expect me to enter a cone of silence at the 100 yard marker.

I try to adhere to three rules:
1. Don't step in their line when going to pick up your ball, grabbing the flag, etc.
2. If it's sunny, make sure your shadow doesn't fall across their line when they're trying to put.
3. Stay still and quiet when they're over the ball and ready to putt.

Just don't walk in my line and I'm happy. Pretty much everything else is minor for me.

Not in line of site and standing still. Peripheral vision...yeah, I get it but I also think golfers in general need to chill out. If I cannot focus because you are somewhere in my peripheral vision and standing still I've got a me problem.

Don't move!...no sounds (just 5-10sec). Its not that I can't putt to movement/noise, my brain see's it and its a un-nessesary distraction to put out of the way.

Last edited:
I don't stand behind a golfer while they are putting. However as long as your shadow, or the flag's shadow, isn't in their line, and you don't move, most any other spot is OK.

Don't stand too close
Stand still
No shadow anywhere near the ball or the cup

is staying off the green while someone is putting really a thing? i've seen it mentioned several times in the forum but can't recall ever a) caring or b) having someone else care about this.

just don't stand right behind my line (after i make contact, sure, have at it) or directly behind the hole and we'll be good.

Also, definitely don't stand directly Behind the hole, in the through line of the putt. I don't want to look up and see you standing there ... I want to see just the hole & nothing else. Even if your ball is there .... stand to the side & wait for the player to strike the putt & then walk behind your ball.

is staying off the green while someone is putting really a thing? i've seen it mentioned several times in the forum but can't recall ever a) caring or b) having someone else care about this.
The first time someone tells me to stay off the green while they are putting, is the last time I ever play with them. And that one round will be pretty difficult because I'm not doing something that nonsensical.

I wouldnt stand directly behind them where the putter swings back or in front of them where the putter swings through. More than likely youd be in the purview. Also, if your playing an event it could be a penalty....As long as your behind their back or out away from them by 15' or so you should be good.

I try to adhere to three rules:
1. Don't step in their line when going to pick up your ball, grabbing the flag, etc.
2. If it's sunny, make sure your shadow doesn't fall across their line when they're trying to put.
3. Stay still and quiet when they're over the ball and ready to putt.

I would have to agree with Deuce on these 3 rules. I would add try to stay out of their peripheral vision but as long as you follow these 3 rules, you’re golden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good discussion and really helpful for people that are learning this game and even people who are vets.

Like others have said, just be ready to hit your putt. Be aware of the shadow if there is one and be ready to give me a high 5 if I sink my putt :alien2:

Lots of good answers in here. I try to be unobtrusive, if we’re in the same line I’ll be waaaaay back behind them and off their line by a few degrees at least, and very very still.

Somewhere not right behind me or where I can see your shadow on my putting line.. Stay still once I am about to hit the putt. Other than that I don't care.

It doesn't matter to me where someone is standing as long as they give me a few seconds of being quiet and still while I'm making my putting stroke. Stand to the side, behind me, straight across, as long as it's not on my line from the ball to the hole I don't really care as long as you're reading your putt, playing ready golf, and on pace.

The first time someone tells me to stay off the green while they are putting, is the last time I ever play with them. And that one round will be pretty difficult because I'm not doing something that nonsensical.

Agree!

I do all the normal stuff when/before others putt even though I think it’s ridiculous. When I’m putting fell free to stand wherever you like and continue your conversation. Step on my line while walking across for all I care...I don’t think any of it matters. All I ask is that you not stand between my ball and the cup while I putt. It’s tough to make a putt when it clangs off somebody’s shoe.

Proper putting etiquette?

Im curious if people really mind the peripheral vision thing? Im okay with it as people need to move around to check their putts. As long as they aren’t right in top of me and stop movement when I address the ball, get radical in my periphery. And I’m 95% sure that’s what most of you mean when you mention it.

I typically try to stay 8 or 10 ft away and out of sight. Just try to give them room to breathe and be comfortable. I have played with random people that will get so close they might as well putt for you.

Back