Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
Is it ilegal for a player to read a little notepad, while playing a tournament, that has notes that he has written pertaining on how to hit some difficult shots?

I don't believe so. I would have to dig through the rules and decisions though

I think that's exactly what the pros do.

Interesting question. I thought the pros used notebooks to tell them about the course, not swing tips for particular shots. I don't know if the difference matters.

Pretty sure it's legit if it's the player's or caddie's notebook. You're just not allowed to get help from anybody else.

Nope. What I'm curious about if that notepad becomes high tech and becomes a smartphone or a tablet. Now is that still legal?

Nope. What I'm curious about if that notepad becomes high tech and becomes a smartphone or a tablet. Now is that still legal?
I would hope not, but that's the trending direction I suppose

It's legal to use a smartphone as a GPS.

From what I recall you can have swing thoughts, distances with different shots (ie 7i choked down 1/2" = 165). I think the issue comes in when using smart phone or other electronic devices for weather conditions or something like the aimpoint app

From what I recall you can have swing thoughts, distances with different shots (ie 7i choked down 1/2" = 165). I think the issue comes in when using smart phone or other electronic devices for weather conditions or something like the aimpoint app
It was the issue. What the usga realized, unless the weather station is exactly where you're standing, the weather you get on your phone isn't specific for your exact location on the course.

You can't access the internet or similar for tips or swing instruction during a round, but if they are notes you have written down for yourself, then there is no problem, even if they are recorded electronically.

That is the guy who you give an inch and he takes a mile.

Is it ilegal for a player to read a little notepad, while playing a tournament, that has notes that he has written pertaining on how to hit some difficult shots?

You talking paper note pad? If so, of course it is legal, just like the notes in a yardage book.

Notepad should be fine, even digitally I'd imagine, but don't be checking the instructional videos in the golf shot app that's probably a no no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not against the rules. I'm not sure what you mean by "pertaining to how to hit difficult shots" but Ian Poulter keeps a note card in his bag with swing thoughts/reminders that he'll pull out during a round.

Back