Throwing head covers at your caddy

Now imagine it was Bubba Watson...

He's a punk... acted like a punk, called out for being a punk... that said, there's always the opportunity to become a better person

I don't condone his actions, but wow... Tough crowd here full of people who have never EVER let a situation get to them... #eyeroll

Give the guy a break. He owned it -- I feel worse for the caddie who claims to have the rule correct and the rules official who called him on it.

Well said. I never throw stones in a glass house...........

I get the response that no one is perfect and we all make mistakes that we aren't proud of. Using it here, though, to defend the player who childishly blamed and fired his caddy - for making an honest mistake, no less - is a bit strange.

I wish Rhein had the same attitude of overlooking mistakes.

I’ve done a lot of things and allow for quite a bit when it comes to behavior in a competitive setting. Sergio can break his putter, golfers can slam their clubs into the turf, Rahm can begin to bend his shaft and I won’t bat an eye. Tomahawking a wedge out of frustration is one thing. To throw an object, no matter how soft or light, at someone is another. I consider it just as disrespectful as spitting in someone’s face.

Several responses on here condoning or excusing this guy are just plain wrong and pretty mind boggling.

Yes, we’ve all lost our cool on the course and in life, we’ve all had people do us wrong in all walks of life and have gotten really angry...but you keep your damn hands to yourself. I’m a small business owner myself and have had employees do some of the most infuriating things you can imagine that have put me in terrible spots. Raise your voice, rant and rave, fire the person on the spot if need be...but if you’re reduced to throwing things at people then you’re a douchebag and that’s all there is to it. Yes, he can atone for his actions with true contrition over time, but going back to your hotel room and tweeting something doesn’t cut it.

Shouldn’t have thrown it at the caddie. If your going to have a tantrum at least throw it somewhere else.

This incident was so bad, Ted Scott prayed for the caddie.

Fired on the spot and hit in the face by a putter cover, I would pull my stuff out of the bag if they were in there, and I would have chucked that bag so effen far into the hazard and then walked right off the course.

I am surprised it never has been Bubba Watson before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never thrown anything at an employee of mine, no matter how bad they (or I) f'd up.

You're missing the point, and that's fine -- Although you are welcome to find me any story where getting hit by a headcover severely injured someone to validate the dangers of flying club protectors and I'll gladly concede it to be more than a harmless gesture of frustration (and douchery, no doubt).

Several responses on here condoning or excusing this guy are just plain wrong and pretty mind boggling.

Yes, we’ve all lost our cool on the course and in life, we’ve all had people do us wrong in all walks of life and have gotten really angry...but you keep your damn hands to yourself. I’m a small business owner myself and have had employees do some of the most infuriating things you can imagine that have put me in terrible spots. Raise your voice, rant and rave, fire the person on the spot if need be...but if you’re reduced to throwing things at people then you’re a douchebag and that’s all there is to it. Yes, he can atone for his actions with true contrition over time, but going back to your hotel room and tweeting something doesn’t cut it.

I don't see anyone condoning his actions. I do see people rolling their eyes at the idea of crucifying the guy for it, but clearly we all have a different perception on what validates genuine hate and what validates a 'way to go d-bag' reaction.
To each their own. We are in a generation of bubble wrap.

Both had a shared responsibility in what transpired, but it would have been fun to see a full on MMA type throw down when the head cover was tossed.... but hey that's just me :beat-up:

I'm throwing the **** out of my headcover at Dean in August.

I don't see anyone condoning his actions. I do see people rolling their eyes at the idea of crucifying the guy for it, but clearly we all have a different perception on what validates genuine hate and what validates a 'way to go d-bag' reaction.
To each their own. We are in a generation of bubble wrap.

No...it has nothing to do with the bubble wrap generation, if this were about making a victim out of the caddie then you’d have a point but it’s not. I’m sure he’ll be just fine and if he isn’t he should stiffen up. It’s about the player and has everything to do with conducting yourself like a respectable, grown man and this guy crossed a line. And no one is talking about crucifying him, I clearly said he can atone for his actions...it’s not like he beat his wife or whatever. But if you throw things in people’s faces when you’re mad then you clearly have a lot of growing up to do and need to do more than tweet something to get past that.

You're missing the point, and that's fine -- Although you are welcome to find me any story where getting hit by a headcover severely injured someone to validate the dangers of flying club protectors and I'll gladly concede it to be more than a harmless gesture of frustration (and douchery, no doubt).
No, I don't think I'm the one missing the point. It was a serious instance of douchebaggery and disrespect, and people have rightly gotten on to him for it. CM5150 has said it better than I, so I'll let his comments speak for me as well.

I see nothing wrong with what he did. How many Pro's yell at teammates, slame helmets, water coolers, and the list goes on. Is it the right way to handle it, is it something we want kids seeing, no it is not. But when you are a top level competitor trying to make your living on something I see why this happens. I know I have done things when I was mad with sports and I know others have too. If this is Tom Brady next Sunday all the reports will talk about how he is a competitor and wants to win.

But really this comes down to the PGA having stupid rules.

I don’t think this has a place in the game whatsoever. It’s just disrespectful. Especially to a caddie who plays an integral role in the players performance throughout the round. Caddies talk about the right plays and also can help keep the player out of his own head.

If it were me and I was the caddie I would’ve resigned my duties and waited for someone else to ask me to be on the bag

Sent from HTX

disrespectful douche bag move caught on camera send apology out over social media. All good? No your still a disrespectful Douche bag.

I see nothing wrong with what he did. How many Pro's yell at teammates, slame helmets, water coolers, and the list goes on. Is it the right way to handle it, is it something we want kids seeing, no it is not. But when you are a top level competitor trying to make your living on something I see why this happens. I know I have done things when I was mad with sports and I know others have too. If this is Tom Brady next Sunday all the reports will talk about how he is a competitor and wants to win.

But really this comes down to the PGA having stupid rules.

I can’t buy that. If a quarterback threw his gloves at a center with that amount of disrespect he should be called out for it.

It’s not that he could have hurt his caddie, it was the utter contempt with which he treated his caddie.

I see where you're coming from Dan, and if this were a Bubba like instance of him just chewing out his caddie I would be saying the same thing. No a putter cover isn't painful, but it's still firmly across the line in my opinion.

I would even feel differently if he'd issued a proper apology, I think there's a big difference in apologizing for your behavior and just apologizing that people got offended by it. That said more about his character than the cover toss, in my opinion. His apology wasn't made in the heat of the moment.

I fully agree that in general a lot of things get blown out of proportion today, but I think this guy is deserving of the negative press he is getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can’t buy that. If a quarterback threw his gloves at a center with that amount of disrespect he should be called out for it.

It’s not that he could have hurt his caddie, it was the utter contempt with which he treated his caddie.

Should be but he would not. QB's can do no wrong in the NFL but that is for a different thread lol. What about when a coach grabs a player by the facemask and rips him a new one what is the difference? There is disrespect in that too right? Or what about when Lebron pushed a ref there was no thread saying he does not belong in the sport. Or when MLB players brawl on the field we don't say they don't belong. Yes there was disrespect to his caddy but IMO caddy is there as much for golf as they are as the players personal psychiatrist and frankly a person to complain too. I don't know I just don't find it that big of a deal.

Should be but he would not. QB's can do no wrong in the NFL but that is for a different thread lol. What about when a coach grabs a player by the facemask and rips him a new one what is the difference? There is disrespect in that too right? Or what about when Lebron pushed a ref there was no thread saying he does not belong in the sport. Or when MLB players brawl on the field we don't say they don't belong. Yes there was disrespect to his caddy but IMO caddy is there as much for golf as they are as the players personal psychiatrist and frankly a person to complain too. I don't know I just don't find it that big of a deal.

I’m not saying the dude shouldn’t be allowed on tour, I’m just saying it was wildly inappropriate. If my boss threw something at me, we would be having a conversation with HR right quick and in a hurry. If he had yelled at him or had an argument with him I wouldn’t be as bothered I don’t think. This was just outright disrespectful.

Back