Throwing head covers at your caddy

Throwing head covers at your caddy

I think it dropped the golfer from T-2 to 3rd place. That’s rough for the caddie who got fired on the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson should seriously consider taking him off staff. That is not the way to represent the brand.

I'm generally one to keep my cool on the course, but if I'm fighting for a tour card and my caddie makes a mistake that costs me a shot I'd probably lose my cool too.

After the fact, realizing it might have been a rules gaffe I would absolutely be apologizing. But, in the moment I think it's a totally understandable reaction.

The guys a grade a d bag. I hope he never makes another cut again.

You can choose to handle things with class or you can choose to handle things like this guy. Always a choice. Unfortunate this had to be caught on video for all those involved.

I've read conflicting stories about the ruling/penalty, but there is nothing that excuses that type of behavior. I hope his next caddie chucks the whole bag at him next time they recommend doing one thing and the player goes a different way that costs him a stroke.

Rule #1 people.

I don't condone his actions, but wow... Tough crowd here full of people who have never EVER let a situation get to them... #eyeroll

Give the guy a break. He owned it -- I feel worse for the caddie who claims to have the rule correct and the rules official who called him on it.

Wanna look like a TOOL, throw a headcover at your caddie..Feel bad for the caddie..the ball was unplayable..

I don't condone his actions, but wow... Tough crowd here full of people who have never EVER let a situation get to them... #eyeroll

Give the guy a break. He owned it -- I feel worse for the caddie who claims to have the rule correct and the rules official who called him on it.

Agreed, the caddie didn’t go in claiming he didn’t know the rule. He thought he was in the right to pick the ball up based on being told “that’s unplayable”

I agree with every word here

so is it a penalty?

I'm well aware that even a distant examination of my life on or off the golf course could yield dozens of threads ripping my behavior apart. I will never claim to have it all figured out.

He apologized to those "that took offense to my behaviors" not for the actual behavior itself. These are the actions of a man who thinks his caddy is beneath him and is only sorry he got caught, in clear violation of rule #1.

I break it all the time, sure. But that doesn't make this any more excusable.

Sorry to see him lose his cool it happens though, not always easy to handle things with grace no matter how much we train ourselves.

Hopefully he does right by the caddie latter and makes amends. I really hope this one bad action doesn't define his career. ... it's ooh so hard being human sometimes, especially when the world is watching you.

Yikes, don't see that type of frustration towards the caddy all that often.

I'm going to go ahead and believe the caddie's story over that of the rules official. Here's the quote from the official:

"Contrary to what Brandon said, I did not find the ball," Duncan said. "(Gibson) was kind of looking in the high grass or whatever, and I turned around and said to Rhein that we had found the ball. And the caddie had actually sort of gotten behind me, and Rhein's now walking toward me, and I turn around and that's when (Davis) picked the ball up.

"And before I can even say a word, now Rhein goes, 'Well, I guess I can't play it now.'"

When you're trying to set the record, using terms like "or whatever" and "actually sort of" doesn't make it very believable. It sounds like he's trying to cover up his gaffe.

Very bad situation for everyone to be involved, but you don't have to take it out on your caddie like that. Sure, we all get frustrated, but be a consummate professional and carry out business behind closed doors.

After all, the caddie didn't hit the ball into an unplayable lie, the golfer did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've never thrown anything at an employee of mine, no matter how bad they (or I) f'd up.

Terrible situation! The caddy should have gotten clarification before moving the ball, no doubt. But as a team all this should be worked out in advance...this is what "teams" do. The job title is "caddy" not "target for throwing stuff" and being an employee I think he should take it further. I got the player getting frustrated but there is a limit to what those frustrations can become. Belittling or abusing a person is not acceptable in any work place.

Yeah I'm not hoping good things for him the rest of the season. The caddy didn't do it on purpose. It was a mistake. People are human. Treating anyone like that is unacceptable. I hope the guy finds another bag soon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree with this more. Well said.

I'd be pretty pissed, I'll own that 100%. I don't think I would throw the headcover at the caddy, I may or may not throw it somewhere else that he has to get it in my frustrations. I would not throw it at his person, that's pretty unacceptable IMO.

no excuse for this kind of action.

I was watching it live on GC and couldn't believe my eyes that I played it back and watched it multiple times. I am sorry but if the caddy made a mistake, sh** happens, he didn't hit the ball into the crap in the first place. I know it cost him some coin but it is going to cost him a lot more in future endorsements (if even was possible) plus respect of fellow players/fans/media. I feel it is the most unprofessional incident I have seen on a golf course and subsequently firing him on the spot tells me he has no class. I hope Wilson dumps him in a heartbeat.

B!tch move

Back