Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

For those that go and hit these, I was told the sound is better than the original. Let me know if you agree or can even notice the difference. Thanks.

I need to go back and hit these side by side to give a definitive answer, but I'll report back next time I do.

I will give these a good test as well as the APEX pro, but they will have to beat the J15 DF out of the bag. The DF is still working great but a little more forgiveness in about the same size package would be great. It is hard for me to think these would be any longer and they do not need to be. If the numbers make sense the order will be placed.

those who have hit them...consensus on forgiveness? Between OG Apex and XR Pro or more forgiving than both? Might be too early to tell but just curious.
ive never really spent much time with the original Apex and have never spent any time with the XR Pro at all, but i can say that when i was hitting the 7i on the face i was hitting it 185. Low and toe misses were still going 175

those who have hit them...consensus on forgiveness? Between OG Apex and XR Pro or more forgiving than both? Might be too early to tell but just curious.

The brief time i had with these yesterday and based on the numbers i saw, the forgiveness is there and it's significant based on what i remember it being with my OG APex. It might be too early to tell how much, but i suspect a lot has to do with teh 360* cup face and helping ball speed retention on mishits.

I think the sound is better. A little more less clicky if you will. But this will definitely be debatable as it will be opinion

That was the EXACT verbiage told to me! Less clicky. Ok, good!!! Thanks!

That was the EXACT verbiage told to me! Less clicky. Ok, good!!! Thanks!
That's exactly how I describe it. Less clicky. I gave up the Apex feel for the XR Pro. Now there is the best of both worlds. That why my XR PROS are in the FS forum. I like less clicky.

Wow - 180 yard 7 irons, you're a much better player than me...10 yards longer than the old Apex, guess they worked for you...I didn't see that kind of improvement
I play the old xhot pro irons. My 7 iron goes 155, 160 if I kill it. I got fit this past Monday at Callaway. I was hitting the cf 16 7 iron 180 in the air on a nice smooth swing. It was crazy. I hit a dozen balls to make sure at it was all the same. I still don't believe it. The best part was even on miss hits theost I lost was 7 yards. I'm a believer in these irons.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yeah I too was getting crazy distances with 7 iron at Goldsmith but you have to look at carry distance and not total distance. Goldsmith said it was rolling out 15 yards which would never happen. I hit my old Apex 7 iron about 150-155. With CF16 I was carrying 160 with rollout to 175-178. Don't know about you but my 7 iron with either stick or rollout maybe 5 yards tops.

So I do think these go 5-7 yards further.

Another odd thing people are saying is "these are less click sounding". I found this to be opposite. These feel and sound much clickier/more firm when compared to my old Apex which feel much softer.

Went through a fitting for these earlier this morning, the sound was definitely "different". The best way I can describe it would be a combination of explosive and loud. While it wasn't necessarily something I loved you couldn't argue with the results. This iron will fit so many different golfers and provides enough forgiveness to satisfy most golfers. I ended up with the KBS Tour 90 shaft, boring but effective. Looking forward to getting these later this week and trying them out on some freshly over-seeded Scottsdale fairways next weekend.

Went to the Callaway APEX special fitting today at the PGA SS in Orlando, Jeff Bishop the Master fitter and Callaway rep. Doug (forgot his last name) did the fitting.

To start I have not held a club for 2 weeks do to work travel and it showed. I could literally not hit a golf ball with my BS J15DF 7 iron, it was awful to see for the 1st 20 balls with some only going 130-140 yds and all over the place. After at least starting to hit them in general direction of the stick on the screen all about 150 +/- (I normally hit my 7 iron for 165-170 yd by the laser) Jeff had me try the CF 16 and the APEX pro in the same steelfiber i95 regular as mine (but a 1/2" shorter) and the results were very close to the BS, a little better with the CF but not much. I was not a happy person at all.

Jeff then put a Recoil 110 F4 (still 1/2" under my club) in the CF head and things starting getting better, maybe I was just getting warmed up but the distances started coming up to the 160 range. We tried the APEX pro and things stayed about the same, I really could not tell much difference at all in performance from the Pro or the Regular APEX with any shaft.

He then had me hit some with the XP 105 shaft in my length and things got better again with more in the 165 range so he had me hit a few more with my BS club and it confirmed I was swinging better overall.

Jeff then took some time and worked with me on grip and posture, then had me start again with the CF 16 and Recoil 110 Stiff in my length and whamo, 170, 172, 184 with it going slightly left of the target but just much better all the way around. I was just making better swings and the clubs were responding.

I ordered the APEX CF16 in 5-AW with the Recoil 110 Stiff and the PM3 in 58* with the same shaft all 1" over standard, Jeff felt the extra length would help my posture and if I decided they were too long it is a easy fix. All clubs will have GP MCC+4 grips in midsize. To fill out the set I also picked up a GBB Heavenwood.

Since this was a special promotion, I was given a cool Callaway travel bag with a 1/4 zip pullover, a towel, a hat and 2 dozen Chrome Softballs and the clubs will be delivered on or before the 30th with free shipping.

I would much rather have had my A game swing today, but the reality of doing this when I was not 100% may be a blessing, I bought the more forgiving club and proved I can hit it on my worst day so it should shine on my best. Thanks to Jeff and Callaway for a great fitting and some cool swag.

Last edited:
I prefer the pros to these, but these were some very impressive irons. Felt decent, and definitely a bit of a hollow sound/feeling (which they are I believe, so that makes sense), but the numbers were great. Profile and set up at address is great. Not too big at all and would inspire plenty of confidence while still being pleasing on the eye for a very large number of golfers.

These would be awesome irons for a wide wide variety of players. Very solid offering. Well done Callaway.

Was hoping to have these for my round tomorrow but no luck. Excited to get these in hand. Hopefully the can be here before my round mid-late next week.

Was hoping to have these for my round tomorrow but no luck. Excited to get these in hand. Hopefully the can be here before my round mid-late next week.
I'm hoping for a next week delivery also. My order has not changed yet. Still showing Back ordered 3-5 days. Hoping they ship by Tuesday at latest.

I'm hoping for a next week delivery also. My order has not changed yet. Still showing Back ordered 3-5 days. Hoping they ship by Tuesday at latest.

Some on here say they were told on or before the 30th. Here's to hoping we all get them this week

according to the rep none should actually arrive before the 30th the release day, but we can hope....I would love to have these in hand for the Friday morning round

I prefer the pros to these, but these were some very impressive irons. Felt decent, and definitely a bit of a hollow sound/feeling (which they are I believe, so that makes sense), but the numbers were great. Profile and set up at address is great. Not too big at all and would inspire plenty of confidence while still being pleasing on the eye for a very large number of golfers.

These would be awesome irons for a wide wide variety of players. Very solid offering. Well done Callaway.

i too prefer the pros which to me feel and sound absolutely great!

Just ordered 4-PW KBS Tour 90....looking forward to putting them in play, although golf season pretty much over here.

I thought the Pros felt like a players iron. Very direct and pinpointed feedback. They felt like a players iron.

The CF16s just feel powerful.

I thought the Pros felt like a players iron. Very direct and pinpointed feedback. They felt like a players iron.

The CF16s just feel powerful.

Agree with both observations. the pros will be great choice for this who want that feel and performance from a players iron.

I would almost call the CF's more effortless than powerful, but I guess those could go hand in hand. They just pop off the face and have crazy good numbers.

I would almost call the CF's more effortless than powerful, but I guess those could go hand in hand. They just pop off the face and have crazy good numbers.
Having played the Cup Face in the XR Pro irons, I had no doubt that these would be explosive.

While i do not need new irons i definitely want to give these a shot. The solid feedback thus far is too hard to ignore

While i do not need new irons i definitely want to give these a shot. The solid feedback thus far is too hard to ignore
Well if you go this route, let me know if the staffprotos need a home. I hit them yesterday. They were so smooth

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I hit these side by side with my 2013 Apexes. Distances and forgiveness were very similar, but the cup face is obviously there with the sound/feel.

2682f42dedb2328eb6486d26713684d0.jpg

1d153d37c66a76d9b86e7c5e055b80ec.jpg

I felt like a Criminal today at Dicks. Not a soul to be found in the golf section, so I turned on the computer, and opened up the software to hit balls. I also helped myself to what looked like an untouched Callaway Fitting Cart that had the Apex CF16 and the Pros. I grabbed the STD Lie Apex CF16 7 iron and screwed it onto the Recoil F4 shaft and gave it five swings on the monitor with impact tape on. I was hitting balls with it for a few minutes before I turned the computer on. I kept thinking that an employee would come around and see if I needed anything. When no one came around is when I helped myself to turning on the computer and software. I wanted to keep hitting and switching shafts and stuff but it felt really weird that no one was around for service or even knows what im doing. Not sure if I was allowed to do what I did do. I didnt dislike what I was feeling. I havent hit off a mat in a long time and it just seems different but for the most part I liked what I was feeling. Would love to have them on the course to side by side but im sure these will be right up my alley come December.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back