Trying to Break 80 Club

After shooting 80, 79 and 80 my last 3 rounds, I shot a 94.

I have been humbled.

A combination of epic poor course management, and I'm just not very good at hitting off hills.

After 82's and 83's, finally broke 80 on my new home course: 39/39 for 78.
That's 41 smiling stableford points, my handicap is down a full point to 9.1 now. (Lowest since I started playing again 2.5 years ago)

Bogeyed 17 and 18 today en route to an 80. Better luck next time.

Shot 40/37 from the tips at my home course. Very close to one of my best rounds. 2 stupid doubles from tinkering with driver settings on the front, 3 jack on 18... could have been PB but happy with the progress on a difficult track
Congrats that is pretty amazing knowing that course. That is basically an under par round.

Wish I could have continued after the 39 on the front nine Wednesday. But alas, it was dark. I was really striking the ball well, and putts were all right there.

I golfed 27 holes yesterday. Golfed a 42/36 for a 78 (third time I beat 80 this year), and then won men's night for my last round. For last men's night we played 2 man scramble, and me and my partner golfed -4. It was just enough.
So overall I'm really happy with yesterday.

I had a disappointing 79, today. Happy I dipped back below 80, but that included a triple on my last hole of the day.

It seems I can always find something to nitpick when I go below 80. This game is a curse and a passion.

I had a disappointing 79, today. Happy I dipped back below 80, but that included a triple on my last hole of the day.

It seems I can always find something to nitpick when I go below 80. This game is a curse and a passion.

And, just like that, I need to go back and start posting in the Breaking 90 thread. Darn this game. :banghead:

I remember struggling to break 80. One of the things I did was take a scorecard out with me and practice the last 4 holes at my course. I filled the scorecard out so that all I had to do was make 2 pars and 2 bogeys in the last 4 holes to shoot a 79.

I practiced that for months, simulating breaking 80 so many times that when I faced the actual scenario, it was easy as my mind had already player it out so many times. After you have done it once, the pressure is off to do it again - so it becomes easier.

I can't remember who I learned that technique off, but it certainly worked for me

I remember struggling to break 80. One of the things I did was take a scorecard out with me and practice the last 4 holes at my course. I filled the scorecard out so that all I had to do was make 2 pars and 2 bogeys in the last 4 holes to shoot a 79.

I practiced that for months, simulating breaking 80 so many times that when I faced the actual scenario, it was easy as my mind had already player it out so many times. After you have done it once, the pressure is off to do it again - so it becomes easier.

I can't remember who I learned that technique off, but it certainly worked for me

I think this is a really good technique. I'm going to use this one. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last day of the season for me and I'm playing with RenRen89. I feel that if I can get off the tee in good shape today I can score well today.

81 last night with a double on the last. Bah!

One key to breaking 80 that I discovered is long ago is to develop a "safe" go to shot off the tee that keeps the ball in play and also make my approach target the middle of the green no matter where the flag is. For me the safe shot is a lower trajectory punch wether it's from the tee or the fairway. When my "c" or "d" swing rears its ugly head during a round I will go to a punch fairway wood off the tee, take an extra club on the approach and punch an iron to the middle of the green. If I'm in the middle of the fairway it pretty unusual to make worse than bogie. The double and triple bogies are almost always a result of a poor tee shot or trying to hit the hero recovery shot. When I first started shooting in the 70's it also helped me to approach a 79 as 7 bogies and 11 pars. 7 bogies is a lot, but if you take your medicine and play for bogie when you've hit a bad tee shot you will make a lot fewer doubles and triples.

The safe shot off the tee on longer par 5's is also a strategy that will lead to lower scores. We have a 530 yard par 5 at our course that narrows down at about 260 yards that also has a large tree on the left at 290 that can completely block out the second shot. The green is elevated, heavily bunkered and has OB right. I've learned after my first dozen rounds that I was way better off playing my 2 wood off the tee to make the 2nd shot easier. Last month I was playing with a couple scratch golfers who hit hybrid/long irons off that tee and hybrid for their second shot. Their strategy is absolutely the correct one, you really can't miss that fairway as it is very wide at 200-230 yards and the bunkers don't start until 230 yards. I now play a 4 iron or 4 wood off the tee and haven't missed the fairway or GIR on that hole since going with that strategy. I no longer have to worry about the 290 yard tree blocking me as I now can go over it if I miss my tee shot left.

This is awesome info Tahoe. It's so true regarding the go to tee shot. Almost every double bogey or worse I have is due to an errant tee ball. I'm more willing to pull a shorter tee club than most, but I know I still take driver on holes where there's very little benefit in it. If I can still be hitting 8i or less with 3w or 5w off the tee, that's really the route I should be going. And if the tee shot is tight, it might be worth accepting the 5i or hybrid on the approach and hitting a shorter club to catch the fairway.
One key to breaking 80 that I discovered is long ago is to develop a "safe" go to shot off the tee that keeps the ball in play and also make my approach target the middle of the green no matter where the flag is. For me the safe shot is a lower trajectory punch wether it's from the tee or the fairway. When my "c" or "d" swing rears its ugly head during a round I will go to a punch fairway wood off the tee, take an extra club on the approach and punch an iron to the middle of the green. If I'm in the middle of the fairway it pretty unusual to make worse than bogie. The double and triple bogies are almost always a result of a poor tee shot or trying to hit the hero recovery shot. When I first started shooting in the 70's it also helped me to approach a 79 as 7 bogies and 11 pars. 7 bogies is a lot, but if you take your medicine and play for bogie when you've hit a bad tee shot you will make a lot fewer doubles and triples.

The safe shot off the tee on longer par 5's is also a strategy that will lead to lower scores. We have a 530 yard par 5 at our course that narrows down at about 260 yards that also has a large tree on the left at 290 that can completely block out the second shot. The green is elevated, heavily bunkered and has OB right. I've learned after my first dozen rounds that I was way better off playing my 2 wood off the tee to make the 2nd shot easier. Last month I was playing with a couple scratch golfers who hit hybrid/long irons off that tee and hybrid for their second shot. Their strategy is absolutely the correct one, you really can't miss that fairway as it is very wide at 200-230 yards and the bunkers don't start until 230 yards. I now play a 4 iron or 4 wood off the tee and haven't missed the fairway or GIR on that hole since going with that strategy. I no longer have to worry about the 290 yard tree blocking me as I now can go over it if I miss my tee shot left.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Good insights, here. Basically reinforcing that "boring" golf can help really lead to "good" golf. Now, let's see if I can convince myself to do this during a couple of rounds this weekend. :alien:

Good insights, here. Basically reinforcing that "boring" golf can help really lead to "good" golf. Now, let's see if I can convince myself to do this during a couple of rounds this weekend. :alien:

I certainly play very boring golf. I often don't attempt or hit any spectacular shots during a round. My strengths are straight, long enough tee shots and solid chipping and putting. Most golfers could pick up 5 shots just by changing their course management a little bit.

This is awesome info Tahoe. It's so true regarding the go to tee shot. Almost every double bogey or worse I have is due to an errant tee ball. I'm more willing to pull a shorter tee club than most, but I know I still take driver on holes where there's very little benefit in it. If I can still be hitting 8i or less with 3w or 5w off the tee, that's really the route I should be going. And if the tee shot is tight, it might be worth accepting the 5i or hybrid on the approach and hitting a shorter club to catch the fairway.

This approach has never really worked for me because when I pull 5 wood and put a poor swing on it I am absolutely effed. 25 yard duff is likely.

I find when nothing is working I just need to resort to the low-hook with driver. Get's out there 190-220 and is usually in play when I'm planning on it.

Tahoebum, very smart strategies on the last hole. Always love hearing when people use the right thought process for scoring with a boring game, or as I talk about in my post, Vanilla golf!

Love how you play the hole to remove all the trouble! Well Done!

While I have yet to break 80, this same strategy has helped me a lot. Playing to the miss keeps the ball safe.

This approach has never really worked for me because when I pull 5 wood and put a poor swing on it I am absolutely effed. 25 yard duff is likely.

I find when nothing is working I just need to resort to the low-hook with driver. Get's out there 190-220 and is usually in play when I'm planning on it.
This wont work for everyone, but I used to be terrible with my fairway woods. I started treating them much like a 5 iron (swing-wise), and my results have been much better. I take a divot with my woods, which may not be typical, but works for my game

I think it's gonna come down to the person for sure...and also to that person's confidence with their driver vs shorter clubs. Hard to argue with your results. I will say I've never seen anyone quite so confident to pull driver as you haha. My problem is that my misses with fairway vs driver are pretty similar...it's just more likely to be a bigger miss with the driver!

I'm new here, so take it for what it's worth. If you are trying to break 80/90/ or 100, unless you are playing the most forward tee's, move UP. Learn to score lower, by playing an easier or shorter course.

Most people expect bogeys (or worse) and hope for pars. Play a shorter course and learn to expect birdies and have to settle for pars.

I don't care if you have to play the senior or ladies or junior tee's, break 80 or 90 two or three times in a row, then move back to the next set of tee's...rinse and repeat.

Best tip I can give is don't try to make it happen, just let it happen. One shot at a time, pick your target, smooth swing and one shot at a time. It will happen for you.

Back