Callaway Apex Hybrid Review Thread

I know it's a debated topic about hybrids that "go left", but I can say that these hybrids after my first round truly shine as high launching and fade biased. They certainly set up neutral and are weighted to encourage a more consistent ball flight. I am heavily debating a 5H at this point based on performance so far.

Also, I would say the 3H is more inline with the Heavenwood for distance based on my experience so far.

Its funny you mention that, as I think I will be adding the 5H for the Grandaddy next week.

Its funny you mention that, as I think I will be adding the 5H for the Grandaddy next week.

Grab 2 when no one is looking.

I know it's a debated topic about hybrids that "go left", but I can say that these hybrids after my first round truly shine as high launching and fade biased. They certainly set up neutral and are weighted to encourage a more consistent ball flight. I am heavily debating a 5H at this point based on performance so far.

Also, I would say the 3H is more inline with the Heavenwood for distance based on my experience so far.

Very interesting. I don't typically have lefts with hybrids but I can for sure say that my miss with these is a fade/push.

Very interesting. I don't typically have lefts with hybrids but I can for sure say that my miss with these is a fade/push.

My miss is definitely left with my hybrids.

I have already planned out an apex hybrid 26* with steel shaft for next month. Can't wait for this to happen. Ball just gets airborne and through the wind easily.

One range session with 2 and 3 hybrid for me. Lefts is a swing flaw not the club. These launch nice and high and definitely easier to elevate than comparable iron. Feel off the face is very similar to what I remember from last apex irons. Sound gets touch more metallic when straying from the middle of the face. Touted as a true iron replacement hybrid, and I can see that. Similar ending distance as corresponding iron but flight is different obviously. More carry less rollout, which is very desirable from clubs in that spot

One range session with 2 and 3 hybrid for me. Lefts is a swing flaw not the club. These launch nice and high and definitely easier to elevate than comparable iron. Feel off the face is very similar to what I remember from last apex irons. Sound gets touch more metallic when straying from the middle of the face. Touted as a true iron replacement hybrid, and I can see that. Similar ending distance as corresponding iron but flight is different obviously. More carry less rollout, which is very desirable from clubs in that spot

How dare you!

That 2H is a beast of a hybrid. Could be a great "off the tee" club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love mine and it's perfect off the tee. Easy to hit straight and its long.

That 2H is a beast of a hybrid. Could be a great "off the tee" club

That's what I'm thinking. Though it's easy to hit off the deck, there aren't many opportunities to hit that club into greens, unless I seriously mess up off the tee lol

I have both. Very different clubs. I mean like polar opposite difference. Size, look, sound, feel, distance, ball flight. Everything is completely different to me.
This interests me as I still have the X2Hot Pro in my bag and the sound is the one thing I don't enjoy with the club. I really need to find a store that has the Apex hybrid so I can swing it a few times.

That's what I'm thinking. Though it's easy to hit off the deck, there aren't many opportunities to hit that club into greens, unless I seriously mess up off the tee lol

I would bag that over a 3W. I haven't found a 3W I could hit well in a Loooong time. And the distance you're seeing off that 2h would be perfect for both for me. If I could get at least 240 out of that 2h it would be a no brainier for me at that spot

After few range sessions, I've decided to remove the 4w and 3i from the bag and put in the 2 and 3 hybrids. Excited to get some course action this week!

The Apex 5 hybrid is one of the best middle iron hybrids I have ever hit. Falls in perfectly in my gap and allows me to remove the 4 hybrid out of my bag since I can step on one to make up the distance. Thoroughly impressed as it got a lot of use yesterday.

The Apex 5 hybrid is one of the best middle iron hybrids I have ever hit. Falls in perfectly in my gap and allows me to remove the 4 hybrid out of my bag since I can step on one to make up the distance. Thoroughly impressed as it got a lot of use yesterday.

ANy thoughts of it vs the X2Hot which is one of my favs?

That pretty much seals the deal for me. It has to be in the bag next year.

That pretty much seals the deal for me. It has to be in the bag next year.
I'm a fan after yesterday. Esp with the VTS Silver.

ANy thoughts of it vs the X2Hot which is one of my favs?

Totally different. In fact if they didnt both say Callaway, comparisons would never be asked. Look at it like comparing the XR irons to XR Pro irons. One has a smaller footprint and generally a completely different club.

With that said, its still a hybrid by nature, so hollow body construction with more forgiveness across the face comparatively speaking to a general 5 iron.

I hit these silly silly well yesterday, really pleased I ended up with the 4 and 5 in the bag. They're just silly versatile, moreso than any other Callaway hybrid I've hit.

Totally different. In fact if they didnt both say Callaway, comparisons would never be asked. Look at it like comparing the XR irons to XR Pro irons. One has a smaller footprint and generally a completely different club.

With that said, its still a hybrid by nature, so hollow body construction with more forgiveness across the face comparatively speaking to a general 5 iron.

Agreed, played both and they are truly different ends of the spectrum. Still waiting for my 5 hybrid but the 4 will get a workout this Friday. Been able to choke down nicely to take distance off as well while awaiting the 5.

Can't wait to get the 2 hybrid in the bag. Should be an awesome tee club and long par 5s. I may end up replacing the 4 iron with one as well but want to test then out a bit before I jump in that far.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I hit these silly silly well yesterday, really pleased I ended up with the 4 and 5 in the bag. They're just silly versatile, moreso than any other Callaway hybrid I've hit.
Jman, I know they are different animals but can you make any kind of comparison with the Apex Utility? Trajectory, ease of use, etc. ...

Jman, I know they are different animals but can you make any kind of comparison with the Apex Utility? Trajectory, ease of use, etc. ...
For me, way way way way way easier to use. Easier to launch and a ton more forgiving low and laterally. The UT do what they do well, but to me these really will appeal to both traditional hybrid players AND UT players.

In fact, we had several who were SET on a UT or two in the bag that hit these and it changed that thought completely.

After few range sessions, I've decided to remove the 4w and 3i from the bag and put in the 2 and 3 hybrids. Excited to get some course action this week!

Distance vs flight, are you seeing any noticeable difference in ball flight going with the hybrids over the fairway/iron? I.e. Do the hybrids have a lower flight and run out to match the distance you had with your 4w?

Back